Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:07:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 26, 2024, 08:38:44 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Non-kayak, non-NW, but hey, I got out fishing ...  (Read 4302 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
So last week I heard about the WSB bite going on at Capitola, so I made mental plans to hit it up this week as I consider Santa Cruz and Capitola as my home waters.  Well, the shark attack put a damper on my plans.  I think I'll give it a few more days before hitting it up on the kayak.

Plan B.  Got out yesterday on scallen's boat with special guest PAL.  Decided to head out for salmon because salmon fishing is not something that Paul, being from San Diego, gets to do every day.  Hit the tip of the Soquel Hole.  We were marking scattered bait so just kept boxing the area.  Troll the flasher/hootchies for a bit since they were what was rigged up, but soon switched over to plain herring and flasher/herring.  Paul gets one early and we settled in for a steady pick.  I drop one in the box, then Allen drops one at the boat.  Allen hooks up again and soon has a nice 12 pounder to the boat.  I make a scoop and, oh shit, missed it.  Oops, I didn't miss it, the darn salmon punched a hole in the net and went right through.  Well, I reversed the net on the salmon and scooped her in, but her tail started to slide out the other side of the net.  I reached down, tailed her, then swung her in the boat.

Later on in the morning we came across 2 blue whales feeding amongst hundreds of birds.  As we trolled the edge, the whales turned towards us.  We didn't get to enjoy that show because we immediately hit a double.  5 in the box, need just one more to go home.  Of course things slowed down after that.  Finally the 2 minute call goes out.  Of course we proceed to hook up.  Then I proceed to farm it at the boat.  Who tied that knot?   >:(

No pics = I forgot my camera.

-Allen

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
No pics = I forgot my camera.

No pics = didn't happen  :P

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Apparently there was at least one picture taken.

-Allen

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Farming sux but happens to the best of us. BTW I don't think the freeboard of a boat helped you either. ;)
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
< Agrees with the thread title.> :P
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Ding ding ... round 2!  Got out again this morning, same location, same game plan.  This time I had my dad with me as the parents are visiting the grandson.  Went 5 for 7 before 9 AM.  One dink and 4 from 15-19 pounds.  Lots of whales and lots of krill out there.  These krill fed nookies are fat (and the meat is oily too).  Couldn't buy the go home fish, and things slowed down for a bit, before getting hot and heavy.  After farming 5 in a row, we just gave up and headed in.  Why keep pounding your head on that wall when the cooler is already full.  Pics to come only if Lee complains.   >:D

-Allen

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Is the boat in the first pic a 21' Bayrunner Baja? 

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon

Yes it is.  Good eye!

-Allen

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Great tale!!!  Thnks for the post, must have been a ball!!
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

Yes it is.  Good eye!

-Allen

I've got a serious hankering to add one to my fleet ;D   Great light weight economical nearshore boats!

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon

Yes it is.  Good eye!

-Allen

I've got a serious hankering to add one to my fleet ;D   Great light weight economical nearshore boats!

This one is an interesting one.  It has an offshore outboard mount on it so the rear transom is full and open.  And an extra 50 gallon tank, so there is 100 gallons total.  Would love to trailer it down to Baja some day.  Speaking of which, I've always wanted to have a Baja style panga.

-Allen
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 02:16:09 PM by polepole »

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Holy crap, these salmon are O-I-L-Y.  Six hours after being in the smoker and the shoulder pieces are still saturated with oil.  I can only imagine what the belly pieces are like.  May have to finish it off on high heat to burn some extra oil off.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Having enough salmon recently, we got out yesterday for something new.   ;D

-Allen

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010

Yes it is.  Good eye!

-Allen

I've been passively looking for a boat last couple years.  Was checking out this one and it looks pretty sweet.  Would definitely cover the sound/san juans fishing, and looks like trips to the coast as well. I like the amount of deck space it has, and the no-frills simplicity.  And you're right pelagic - good price for what you get.

Allen, what size motor does your friend have on it (or is it yours?)?  And is the offshore outboard mount a custom addition or do some of them just come like that?
What else can you guys say about it? What are it's limitations?
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"