Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:25:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 22, 2024, 10:14:53 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 08:59:01 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Theft Deterrents?  (Read 6678 times)

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Reading BigDood's post about getting car burgled got me thinking.

I haven't had any recent incidents, but we all leave ourselves open to getting taken once in a while or maybe just for short periods. Hypothetically, if you saw your stolen stuff on Craigslist, could you prove it was rightfully yours?

Does anybody have any ID marks on their good/favorite/more expensive gear? If so how did you mark it?

Thanks
Anthony

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Most stuff is covered by insurance.  I rely on karma to keep the odds and ends safe.   Worst case happens, I'll have to pony up the deductable and go shopping.

j-fek

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Well if i seen my stuff on Craigslist im pretty sure id call the guy meet up with him with fish club   ;D

here fishy fishy fishy!!!

Nick

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
Somewhat related, yet unrelated...

I "sold" my jet ski years ago to a close friend, my closest at the time. It was fairly expensive, alot of racing mods on it. He had it for 2 or three days (before paying me) and it got stolen from his house, along with his other jet ski (both on one trailer). He thought his insurance would cover it... weeks later found out it did not, oh and his daughter needs braces... It took me... awhile to get paid. It was frustrating for both of us, and pretty much destroyed our friendship.

While I was waiting to get paid, and even after I got the $, I checked ebay and what other sites I could in the area daily for months, hoping someone would try to part it out or sell the entire thing, as it was easily recognizable. Never did find it though. Probably stupid of us at the time, but we did have a 'beat down' plan if the skis ever came on the market. I'm glad they never did, as I'm sure I'd have ended up in jail at the time if we followed through...

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I've been meaning to add my gear to my personal property policy. I set it up for the mrs's ring and I think it covers up to 5k with for about 80 bucks a year. It would probably be a good idea to record serial numbers then too.

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Insurance is a good thing. Stop "meaning to" as it won't count when you need it. If you don't know, then call and ask...

http://yakfish.isaac-online.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/photo-1024x634.jpg

For two more weeks my kayaks are locked in the basement (leads to the garage), but that won't last long. Looks like the new place will require outside storage in a couple protected areas. While chains and cables are only deterrents, I will be locking things down. From there its just a "hope I'm there if they try" type of thing..
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

SteveHawk

• ORC
  • Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
While fishing the other day around Hagg lake. Someone tried to steal the Revo that was cabled to my trailer. I don't think that the would be thieves had tools since the cable was smashed and practically torn in two.  The Kevlar fiber was the only thing left between the liberation of my boat and why I still have it.

Since then I have added the boats and trailer to my insurance. I also have the numbers kept in a safe place. One piece of advise, gleaned from my agent, is that since the numbers are scratched in plastic and can be easily modified, is to take a truly identifiable waterproof sticker and place somewhere inside the hull. The harder to reach and see the better. Don't put your name on it but take a picture of the sticker and place it in your files.

Thieves look for identification numbers and words but tend to overlook silly stickers.

My two cents worth,

Wobbler
"if you aren't living life on the edge, your just taking up space"  Thom Rock

Green Outback, Blue Revo

Sinker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Wow that's awful wobbler.

I actually worry more about encountering a theft in process.  Some of those $#:+ stains will take disproportionate actions to avoid getting caught. 

The last thing I want to do is confront a tweaked out thief.
I would much rather be up a creek without a paddle than down one.

revjcp

• Sturgeon
  • Don't judge me...
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Learn this phrase... "I was in fear for my life."  It is also important they are facing you.  That being said... a deductible may be less expensive then the therapy most people would need after such and event.  If what I have said is confusing then ignore it, get insurance and secure you stuff so no one can possibly take it.
Malibu Mini-X

Formers Rides...
OK Trident 13
Hobie Outback

Justin

• Sturgeon
I think this is why I won't bring my trailer to the PDX area.  I feel better about having the yak on top of the truck where it is harder to get at. It's not fail proof but I'll sleep better.
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

cjb

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
One piece of advise, gleaned from my agent, is that since the numbers are scratched in plastic and can be easily modified, is to take a truly identifiable waterproof sticker and place somewhere inside the hull. The harder to reach and see the better. Don't put your name on it but take a picture of the sticker and place it in your files.

Was just going to suggest something along these lines.  I figure a unique sticker tucked some place deep in the inside of the boat where you can't easily see it is a potentially valuable tool if the boat were stolen and possibly cropped up on Craigslist or Ebay.  One thing worth mentioning, though, is on my ivory dune colored boat in the right light you can see the shadow of the sticker through the hull, so it may not be entirely hidden.  Id suspect the darker colors may not have the same issue.
-Craig

'12 Red Hobie Revo 11
"Red Rocket"

Justin

• Sturgeon
Just put a sticker on the outside to cover up the shadow......
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

Sinker

• Lingcod
Nah, I'm not going to put holes in someone over anything they might find in my truck.  The bad karma is theirs.

Stuff is replaceable. 
I would much rather be up a creek without a paddle than down one.

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
It's not that you would think it's worth putting holes in them over your stuff.  It's that they might think it's worth putting holes in you over your stuff if you walk in them in the act. 
2012 ORC 5th Place

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I've got a set of these (the 13' yellow ones)

http://www.thenicerack.com/kanulock-locking-strap/

If they want it bad enough their gonna get it, but these will deter Joe Smackelnuts from driving off with his new boat unless he has something handy to cut steel cable. It's a small piece of mind when you have to stop somewhere along the way, or when doing multi day trips.
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

anything