Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:48:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Theft Deterrents?  (Read 6679 times)

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I've got a pair, the lock is a little iffy---sometimes it's extremely hard to get it to lock, then takes forever to get it unlocked-----not at all smooth. 
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Mine have worked like a champ. Sometimes I have to take the tension off the lock by pulling on either the buckle or the tag end of the strap, but no issues at all. Have you lubed yours? I shoot a little silicone spray in the lock every so often.
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

bigdood

• Lingcod
  • poormansheli
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Timely thread as I'm sitting here in a hotel in Ventura with a Revo on the roof of my car....going to use my kryptonite cable locks to lock it to the rack, short of bringing it into the room (would be a tough fit...) that's about all I can do

islandson671

• Heroes On The Water NWest
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
We use these, bought 2 sets. $16 at Target

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
How would one go about marking a reel (without tearing up the finish with an engraving tool)?

How about marking your rods?

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

jim-dawg

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
How about pinstriping name and numbers then a coat of clear rod finish over the rod.  As for the reel maybe the backside of the reel seat, you could engrave that area and then a clearcoat over it or nailpolish even.

Scott

• Lingcod
  • High Desert Fun
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Try securing the cheap jogger panic alarms to your gear, trailer, or yak.  They opperate on a simple pull pin system that can be easily zip tied with fishing line.  If someone tries to remove your gear the alarm is attached to the gear, it may get moved a few feet but you will at least retain it.  The jogger alarms are painful little bastards when they are set off.
-Scott

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I found, on-line, my family coat of arms. It doesn't say the name, just the crest.  For my cedar strip boats I printed it on rice paper and epoxied it down to the wood before fiber-glassing over the top.  It is also not in the spot that one could easily see.   You would have to sand through multiple layers of fiberglass and epoxy to destroy it and it isn't in an area where you could get a power sander >:D.  Now I only need to worry about someone with my last name stealing it. ::)  I also hid my email address on them somewhere.  Of course, the cedar strips are original patterns, so that in itself should help me lay claim to the boat.

For my plastic yacks, I scratched my name into them somewhere inside.  I also hid the stickers with my name on them.
Try securing the cheap jogger panic alarms to your gear, trailer, or yak.  They opperate on a simple pull pin system that can be easily zip tied with fishing line.  If someone tries to remove your gear the alarm is attached to the gear, it may get moved a few feet but you will at least retain it.  The jogger alarms are painful little bastards when they are set off.
-Scott

I found those battery operated window alarms for your house work in a similar manner.  When I stay in hotel rooms, I use them.  They are very loud and are activated if the boat gets moved.

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

anything