Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:51:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:21:09 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: HOW receives $50K grant from Wounded Warrior Project  (Read 4232 times)

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011

Heroes on the Water Receives Grant from Wounded Warrior Project ®

Allen, TX - Heroes on the Water (HOW) announced today that they received a grant in the amount of $50,000 from Wounded Warrior Project (WWP), a non-profit organization whose mission is to honor and empower Wounded Warriors. The grant will fund kayak fishing excursions for injured and disabled service members and veterans.

"We are delighted to receive this grant which will support our unique kayak fishing program, said Hilanne Myers, executive director, HOW. Our program  provides an outdoor therapeutic experience that yields independence, recovery, and the chance to cast a more positive outlook on life."

"WWP is very proud to be collaborating with so many diverse organizations through our grant program as we understand that only by working together with additional organizations will we be able to meet all of the needs of our Wounded Warriors," said Steven Nardizzi, executive director, WWP. "We believe in order to ensure this generation of injured veterans is the most successful and well-adjusted in our nation's history we must create a strong network of community resources united in support of them."

It is estimated over 48,000 servicemen and women have been physically injured in recent military conflicts, another 320,000 have experienced a traumatic brain injury while on deployment, and as many as 400,000 additional service members live with the invisible wounds of war including combat-related stress, major depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder.

About Heroes on the Water
Heroes on the Water (HOW) is a 501 (c)(3) national organization based in Allen, TX, serving injured service members and disabled veterans across the country to help them relax, rehabilitate, and reintegrate into society through kayak fishing and the outdoors. In 5 years, HOW has provided over 4,100 veteran days on the water with the support of 1100+ volunteers, now operating with 35 chapters in 22 states. Visit HeroesOnTheWater.org.

About Wounded Warrior Project®
The mission of Wounded Warrior Project (WWP) is to honor and empower wounded warriors. WWP's purpose is to raise awareness and to enlist the public's aid for the needs of injured service members, to help injured servicemen and women aid and assist each other, and to provide unique, direct programs and services to meet their needs. WWP is a national, nonpartisan organization headquartered in Jacksonville, Florida. To get involved and learn more, visit woundedwarriorproject.org.
New Directors Appointed to HOW Board
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
How cool is that! :banjo:
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
holy CRAP!  That is incredibly great news! 
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
How much of that will filter to the HOW-NW chapter?
2012 ORC 5th Place

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008

NWnoob

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Thats Awesome!!  Wonder if our HOW NW group will receive any of that?  Anyway, speaking of HOW NW, we have the Chum Event this Saturday and we could always use any extra people..  Hopefully we can get the guys on some nice fish..
2nd place 2012 Salmon SlayRide
2nd place 2013 Salmon SlayRide
1st place 2014 Salmon SlayRide

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009

islandson671

• Heroes On The Water NWest
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
How much of that will filter to the HOW-NW chapter?
Realistically?  Probably none of it, I've been told by HOW National that we must raise our own funds and send it in to go into the Chapter (NWest) account. Then, we can get reimbursed. This is why I ask for gift cards and in-kind donations so we can get the equipment we need now. But, NWest does have just over $150 in its chapter account that was raised using donation jars at the ORC, the Salmon SlayRide Derby and at my work.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Hmmmm, at work eh?
 I think I could set up a few donation jars around town.
 What I need is a brief statement to attach to the jars explaining who and what HOW is.
 I may live in a small redneck town...but they still respect the ones who serve.
 Please write me a statement and I will get some $ from my area.
 Great program, great folks and greatful service men and women.
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

islandson671

• Heroes On The Water NWest
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Hmmmm, at work eh?
 I think I could set up a few donation jars around town.
 What I need is a brief statement to attach to the jars explaining who and what HOW is.
 I may live in a small redneck town...but they still respect the ones who serve.
 Please write me a statement and I will get some $ from my area.
 Great program, great folks and greatful service men and women.
Yo IslandHoppa. He's in OR, could you help him out? Boxofrain, thanks for your support!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Thanks, Dino,

For those who don't know, we at NWKA are blessed with two chapters: HOW-Portland based in the Portland/Vancouver area and serving all of Oregon and SW Washington and HOW-NW based in the Puget Sound area covering the rest of Washington.

As Dino mentioned HOW is a National 501(3)c Charitable Organization but the actual work is carried out by local volunteer run chapters. Local chapters don't have checking accounts so we forward cash or checks we receive to HOW National where they are credited to our account for use if needed. We can and do accept in kind donations (kayaks, trailers, rods, reels, tackle, etc.) and gift cards (which are considered in kind).

We particularly appreciate getting referrals to local Disabled Vets who would like to experience the camaraderie and excitement of kayak fishing. Our Portland Chapter was the beneficiary of Next Adventure's Bass Yakin' Classic recently and $250 was raised from entry fees and $23 in cash was collected at the shop during that weekend.

Thanks to all who support and encourage us and our Heroes who have sacrificed much for our freedom.
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

anything