Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:37:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:01:15 PM]

[Today at 08:45:55 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Linked Events

• NWKA Birthday: April 14, 2008

Topic: NWKA is almost Two Years Old!  (Read 9201 times)

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Okay a bit premature, but I'm just letting everyone know that NWKA was started on April 14th, 2006. (Were there tax incentives Allen?)

I really was just trying to add this to the calendar.

Thanks polepole for putting this together for us.

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Awesome! Big thanks to everyone who makes this site tick everyday. PapaPole, Bsteves, PapaBill (of NCKA) and everyone else. NWKA ROCKS!!!

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
POLE is my hero....he got me away from the NCKA site from the start ::)
 I only go back to visit and read some tips occasionally, my Yakking Family is here at NWKA.
Thanks Allen, et.al.
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

steelheadr

• Sturgeon
  • Peterberger Adventures
TTT once again  8)
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I guess today is the day.   ;D

NWKA was born about a year after I moved back to Seattle.  Until that time, we had been borrowing space on a few different forums.   Fishin-T and snag-a-but were hanging out on KFS.  floatin cowboys and Pisco Sicko had been hanging out on NCKA.  A few people were checking out the Northwest forum on kayak4fish.  In April 2006, something magical happened and the stars aligned.  We wanted our own place, a place we could call home.  We wanted bigger and better things for kayak fishing in the NW.  With Papa Bill doing the work behind the scenes, NWKA was born.  We already had a trip planned to Sombrio on April 21-24, and this was our very first get together, which resulted in the first fishing report on NWKA (http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,2.0.html).  Soon thereafter, Fishin-T was on the front page holding his butt.  Anyone remember that?  BTW, Fishin-T is on the cover of the new CanadianKayakAnglers.com, again, holding his butt.

Anyways, thanks for the ride guys.  We're at 260 members today.  I fully expect to hit 500 by the end of the year (with a little help from you guys getting out fishing).

Let's play a little game of "where are they now?".  Here's a list of the first 10 members and something about where they are now.

• polepole: still here.
  • Fishin-T: still here and checking in with pearls of wisdom.
  • snag-a-but: hibernating for the winter, but I suspect he'll show up any day now.
  • floatin cowboys: still here, originally checking in from Central WA, now our resident OP guy.  Our resident chef.
  • Pisco Sicko: still here and catching fish.  The rowboat man.
  • charliefl66: still here, first kayak angler I met in WA.  We met at a West Marine store.
  • Mooch: NCKA rockstar.
  • bill: The man.
  • getbent: No clue, but I know he sold his yak.
  • Ferndale Solar: No clue.

Where are WE now?  We should be pushing 1000 unique visitors a month some time very soon.  We had 790 last month and already have 456 this month.  We also should be pushing 100,000 page views per month some time soon as well.  We have  67,132 already this month.

We're back at Moutcha for the 3rd year with Moutcha being on its 5th year.  In NWKA's first year of participation, 2006, only Fishin-T and snag-a-but made it.  Danglin from NCKA tagged along with them ...  http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,31.0.html.  The reports they made caused a whole bunch of us to go up the next year ... http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,533.0.html ... with 40+ anglers participating.  This year our friends at CanadianKayakAnglers.com (me and Jeff "Water Wolf QCI") will be running that tournament and I expect 80+ participants.  The growth in this derby mirrors the growth of the sport in the NW in general.

Hmmm ... seems like we head North alot.  But let's not forget the OR contingent who is coming on very strong lately.  I see nice reports of springers, sturgeon, and lingcod already in OR.  I'm going to fish in OR sometime this year, for sure!!!

And now we have 2 additional moderators here at NWKA.  I know they don't think they do much now, but you just wait, I know you'll get busy.  In case you didn't know Zeelander and bsteves are helping out here with moderation duties.

Shoot, bsteve put together the AOTY software and has been tooling around in the NWKA wiki. Yes, we have a wiki ... http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/wiki.  Perhaps we need to officially launch that soon.   ::)  And Zee did up the logo and handled the logistics on the soon to come NWKA stickers.  Thanks guys.

Anyway, it's been quite the ride.  Thanks for sharing it with me.

Let's raise our glasses to 2008 and the promise of good things to come!!!    :occasion14:

-Allen
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 09:42:17 AM by polepole »

steelheadr

• Sturgeon
  • Peterberger Adventures
Congrats and thanks to all those that got this started and keep it going strong. As a newbie to yak fishing, you provide a wonderful resource.  :wav:

Let's hear it for an even better 3rd year!!!  :occasion13:

Jay
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 03:12:00 PM by steelheadr »

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
 Happy Birthday NWKA !!!  :occasion13:

heres to an even bigger and better next two years.. :occasion14:...

Thanks Allen and everyone else that helped to get this thing going !
See ya on the water..
Roy

Espiga

• Perch
  • Coastal Adventure Property
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Thanks for the update, I had no idea the growth numbers were so good.   :hello2:

Thank you so much Allen, Zee and Brian and all the other contributors.  I'm glad I found my way to NWKA and kayak angling.

-Jesse

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
It has been great to see this take off. Reminds me of watching NCKA. I've enjoyed meeting everybody, even if it is only online.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Don't tell the NCKA guys, but I really prefer this site right now.  Maybe it's the fact that it's more relevant to me right now, but I think it's more of a matter of size.   I'm starting to feel lost when I read NCKA, so many people I don't know and too many posts (most of which I don't really care about).

I'm so glad to have a new home here.

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
Here's to many more years!

I'm sure glad this site was up when I bought my yak.  It's made a huge difference in my learning curve.  Thanks Allen et al!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st