Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 02:34:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Plap
[Today at 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Depoe Bay sunday the 25th?  (Read 2934 times)

O. mykiss

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
I am thinking about heading out of Depoe Bay or pacific city on Sunday. I am new to the whole ocean kayak game, magic seaweed says 2-5 in both places. Is this still too rough? Would anyone be game for joining me?

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I'm not seeing the same thing as you when I look at the forecast. This seems pretty sporty to me. (Attached)

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I wouldn't do it, at least with the current forecasts for that day.  The morning could be fishable, but it sure as hell won't be comfortable out there.  Monday would be a better bet, if you can swing it.
aMayesing Bros.

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
I am thinking about heading out of Depoe Bay or pacific city on Sunday. I am new to the whole ocean kayak game, magic seaweed says 2-5 in both places. Is this still too rough? Would anyone be game for joining me?

I look more at each individual swell more so than the average and also factor in the direction and frequency of each swell to anticipate whether swells will converge to create those sporty conditions.  Then, sometimes, the forecast is really wrong so best to have a backup plan.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
that forecast must be for pacific city? I`m not seeing that for Depoe bay. sunday looks good to me, monday and tuesday both look really good, IF forecast holds  i`d do all 3.tempting.....am feeling kinda sick.....

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
that forecast must be for pacific city? I`m not seeing that for Depoe bay. sunday looks good to me, monday and tuesday both look really good, IF forecast holds  i`d do all 3.tempting.....am feeling kinda sick.....

If you look at the file name on my screenshot it's for Lincoln City as of yesterday (March 22) at around 10:25am.

Attached is the current forecast for Otter Rock for Sunday.

5 @ 10 with a secondary of 2 @ 8 with low wind is doable. He said he was new and asked for opinions. My opinion is that is pretty sporty. What "looks good to me" is different for different people.

O. mykiss

• Herring
Thanks everyone for your input, I think I will pass on the big pond this weekend. However I am thinking I might launch in the afternoon at around 2 after pumping some sand shrimp near Hatfield in Newport Saturday the 24th if anyone wants to join. The last time I fished here my brother in law and I both limited on rockfish and caught some perch as well. I am looking forward to fishing with some experienced kayak anglers. I am a very experienced angler but new to the kayak scene. Send me a message if interestes

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I think you made the right call O. mykiss.  If I were you, I'd wait for a truly nice day of 2-3 footers with a long period and no wind.  Those are the days that are truly enjoyable and memorable.  While those 4-6 foot days are fishable, they often involve a lot more work just keeping balance and staying on structure, especially when you throw wind into the equation.  Might be one thing if there was a hot salmon bite going on out there, but even still, it'd be work and you want to make your first ocean foray an enjoyable experience.

Have fun in Yaquina.  I'm going to try to catch a late-season steelhead or two before some of the rivers close at the end of the month.
aMayesing Bros.

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I wouldn't mind joining you for fishing the bay, but I am a big fan of the Oregon Ducks women's bball team that plays tomorrow in the sweet sixteen.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

O. mykiss

• Herring
Drifter2007, if you decide to go pm me and I will give you my number.  I will be launching at around 2 at the NOAA docks. Oh and GO BEAVS! On to the elite 8!

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
redbeard i saw the file, forecast i saw just before i posted was much better.   o` well, forecast changed for all days. much better days ahead for somebodies first time out on the salt.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 08:34:15 PM by dampainter »

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
UCLA just advanced, I was hoping for 4 pac 12 teams to the elite 8, but Stanford is sucking it. I am a Beavers fan as well, all things Oregon! I was out today on Yaquina Bay for a while, primarily crabbing, but we didn't do very good.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

O. mykiss

• Herring
I was thinking about dropping some pots tomorrow, is it even worth the hassle? Because if it’s not I might just launch by rogue then. I have been debating it

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
I was thinking about dropping some pots tomorrow, is it even worth the hassle? Because if it’s not I might just launch by rogue then. I have been debating it

I was out at Yaquina last Saturday on a spur of the moment trip.  Dropped 3 pots over by HMSC.  I picked up two legal crabs.   Crabs were few and far between.  Mostly undersized or female, a few Red Rock.  One powerboater  said he had one crab and was giving away tuna heads because he was done with the futile effort.   Three or four dozen fur bags chasing herring in the bay.  Pleasant day on the water.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

O. mykiss

• Herring
Thanks for all the reports! Maybe I will just forego the pots this time