Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 10:42:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:19:09 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:01:25 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 04:21:47 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Anchor Point King Derby plans  (Read 4754 times)

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Okay lets do a dry run of me figuring when to launch out of anchor point on Sunday, mar 25th. Lets not worrry about darkness right now.

We want to launch at about 2pm? and plan on coming back at 8. Then the plan is to drift north as the tide is turning high? Then about 6 the tide starts getting low and the current heads south., thats when you start heading back to launch?

No worries about the tide being so far out there is a long drag back to the car?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 10:22:55 AM by rimfirematt »

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Looks like you have it now -- that was kind of strange. I was looking at my tides app for tomorrow evaluating the early launch at high (the 12 hour problem) and when I returned to the thread, the far superior afternoon ride was up for discussion.  Is this purely a hypothetical, or are you heading out tomorrow?

I don't have an opinion about dragging the yak across the mud on return. It's a concern to me, as I'm a weakling. That's why I'm really weighing the idea of the Wheeleez mini over the full sized beach cart, since the mini would fit into the front hatch of my Revo and perhaps make the return a little easier to manage.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Matt,

Your idea is good.  I will say the vehicle will literally seem like a mile away at low tide if you launch from Anchor Point  I should have taken a picture. You can do it though.  It's flat and easy... Just long.

For the derby, I plan to base out of whiskey gulch. Super steep road in but I did it (barely) with my civic. From there you can fish north or south. Deep creek is too far north for the derby bu an option on the other days. I'm worried if this crazy amount of snow is going o be an issue getting in. 

My charts say offshore the tide stops around 6:42pm so it will stop like you said around 6:00 closer to shore  Notice on the navionics the tide runs south for a shorter duration...that is odd.

I know it's hypothetical but also note in the marine forecast that there is a 15mph north wind (pushes you south). At that clip, I'd figure nearly double the time drifting north against the wind as you would with the wind.  You will be fishing kings so you will/should have a king size net which is like a sail. 

There are so many variables.  Keep in mind I only went out once with my outback. The other times I was in a 9ft minix. I think the outback will give much greater range of freedom.  I think the only basic rule is when you are thinking about landing, you pretty much better be on the side the current is going to push you.  I keep hammering about the currents but also keep in mind that with an hobie, about an hour per six hour tide cycle you can go pretty much either direction.

Just be conservative at first.  You'll quickly get a feel for it.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
No akfishergal Im not going out tomorrow. I was editing my post cause I figured it out different when I reread my post ;) while your were replying to it. Why aren't you guys just using the hobie carts for your boats?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 04:29:45 PM by rimfirematt »

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Why aren't you guys just using the hobie carts for your boats?

Haven't really had the need.  It'll make most people cringe but I've been just dragging it over sand or the short distance ii have needed it in smooth flat rocks or fine gravel,  I bought a cheapo set and just about threw into the ocean every time I've tried.  Hate the damn thing. Strap on variety.  I'll pick up a better set this year. 

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

AK Yak Atak

• Herring
  • So....Let the break up begin!!!!!
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Rudy,

Keep me in the loop on this tourney! I am wanting to come down however i think the State Archery tourney is that date so i will need to draw straws on this one. But i would love to see a win come from a kayaker and it would give us maybe a bigger crowd up here.

Matt
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
I'll try to call the chamber in AP to see what the dates are.  We get enuf yaks on the water, we have a chance!  Once on the water we won't be at too much, if any, disadvantage!! 

Has anyone heard of any set dates??

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
One of my sources tells me he think it's May 12.  Sent email to the chamber and my source is making a few calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

AK Yak Atak

• Herring
  • So....Let the break up begin!!!!!
I am so ready!!!!
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
Im about ready! I got to do some rigging still. Fishfinder, hopefully a down rigger but Im not too worried about that, rod holder, brine some bait. Also, I don't know what everyone is going to do for accommodations but I was hoping to camp down at the beach. I have a huge tent with a stove.

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen

Last year my wife and I stayed at the Anchor River Inn for only $50 a night.They were very accommadating and we did spend a little time at their bar as well. You might give them a call and see what the rates are this year. :spittake:
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent