Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 06:36:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Knappton in the morning ---now for Labor Day Weekend  (Read 4590 times)

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011
 I'll be going down to Knappton and give it another shot in the morning. Low tide is about 9:30 coming in until near 3.
 Plan to be there about 8 am -- ride the tide down river to near the shipwreck and let the incoming push me back up working the water both ways.
 Look for me in Seahorse's mango or my sand Outback. Her's has a better FF than mine.
 Word is "lots of fish right now".

Maybe this time I'll get to keep 'em on the hook.

Edit: the pics are from last week . Dave's nice king and the smolt I hooked coming in. Damhik  ::)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:44:22 PM by Mark Collett »
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

amb

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I'm thinking about trying this spot out next week - maybe tuesday or wednesday.  My plan is to also use the tide a bit but mostly fish the time prior to and through the tide change.  Never been there before so it's all a learning experience for me.  Post a report if you get the chance.  Interested to know how you do and what you catch them on.  How much weight do you need for that area?  Hope you do well and have some fun -

Alan
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 05:42:35 PM by amb »

wreglmed

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
Anyone have a recommendation on safe places to camp near Knappton - this weekend will be our first go of it there. Thanks-

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Currents are pretty strong there right now. It can get really nasty there with boat wakes and swift water. Not a place for the inexperienced. I switched to the OR side after Sun. High and low slack can be really good there though. I was using around 16 oz to stay in the zone. Good luck on finding a camping spot. Try Ft. Stevens. They have a hike/bike in area that is first come, first served and usually has vacancies.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:09:18 AM by rawkfish »

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

amb

• Lingcod
I am surprised to hear there are ripping currents there.  I really would rather avoid that.  I was hoping for a more mellow close to the bank trough to circle troll around and work on a herring presentation.  Fast currents and power boats might make me rethink this.   I really don't like crowds...  Anywhere else in the Astoria area to give a try?

Alan

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen

I think rawfish is talking about fishing pretty close to the bridge. And it does get nasty right near there.

However--- putting in 4 miles above the bridge worked out pretty sweet for me today. Got there with an hour and a half out going tide still to work. Zig zaging my way down the trough shown here on Deep Zoom had me just below the "ship wreck" at slack tide. http://www.deepzoom.com/indexSilverlight.aspx#/Views/Boat.xaml
The ship wreck is on the SW corner of Humpy Hollow.
 I worked this area out about 500 yards from shore--talking to a few PB'ers and getting the usual hilarious comments and funny looks. Always a kick for most of us.
 Coming closer toward shore -- take down--cool. Just a jack------damn-it
 Started working back up river on the now moving tide ---TAKE DOWN--- and this one had some shoulders. Screaming run away...then right back at me--fast. Caught up the pressure and away it goes again. I'm lovin' this stuff. Start working it closer, closer, and in sight. Holy shit.....nice king. Reach behind myself to grab the net. All good....lay it in lap...cool. Started raising the fishes head to slip it in the net and when my 8 oz. slider broke water all the tension of my line transferred to the weight -- not the fish. Care to guess what happened next........damn-it
 Kept working the trough between Humpy Hollow to Knappton . By now the current has some push to it -- so it didn't take long at all. In fact it was too fast. I didn't want to quit yet.
 Got near the pilings by the take out. Still in 38' of water. Took a hard right turn to get out farther---TAKE DOWN---another big guy. And just that quick -----it was gone.,....
 I got off the water a little before high tide. I'd had enough. Still think it was a good day. Very little PB traffic,( always less the further away from the bridge) sunny skies, and a couple of great rushes.
 I will say that I don't really like barb-less hooks. But their use is mandatory. Might try a diver next time to see how that works out there. Used them all the time on the Kenai River but that was out of my PB in a lot of running water.
 I'll be back.         Still not much word on how the Willapa has been fishing. Them some tight lipped boys.

amb----the area I fished is that trough you have talked about. It is gravy if you use the tide as your friend.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
Good points Mark, and thanks for the report!  If you make sure to stay close to the shoreline, you will probably miss the stronger currents.  It's important to go easy with this fishery though and be conservative.  It's a big, powerful and unforgiving fishery and I'm going to take every chance I get to convince people they shouldn't take it lightly.

2011 Angler Of The Year
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  Totally agree with you Jeff. The Colombia River is serious water.
  But folks want to fish there right?
  Trying to give people that don't know some reasonable alternatives that might work.
   From what I've experienced so far fishing there (at Knappton and west)  isn't too  killer. I mean-- heck--- I took my wife there. I'm certainly not going to jeopardize her in any way.  Of course, she can be pretty ballsy and has fished Cook Inlet in a Native Ultmate with me. And that is some serious water .

edit---- she also got dumped "big time" surf landing  at Whiskey Gulch in the Ultimate 12. Now she is a little gun shy of 2+ surf.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 09:48:53 AM by Mark Collett »

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com

Totally agree with you Jeff. The Colombia River is serious water.
  But folks want to fish there right?
  Trying to give people that don't know some reasonable alternatives that might work.
   From what I've experienced so far fishing there (at Knappton and west)  isn't too  killer. I mean-- heck--- I took my wife there. I'm certainly not going to jeopardize her in any way.  Of course, she can be pretty ballsy.and has fished Cook Inlet in a Native Ultmate with me. And that is some serious water .

Yup! Thanks for providing such good info to this spot, Mark.  It's a cool place for sure.

2011 Angler Of The Year

amb

• Lingcod
I may still try this - fish incoming tide, the slack, and head off the water when the tide turns and heads out.  The Knappton to Humpy Hollow will be my area making sure to stay away from anywhere further down stream.  Between now and Tuesday I'm sure I'll talk myself into trying it.  Would love to land a chinook.  Thanks for the help guys.  Good Luck and Have Fun -

Alan
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:21:38 AM by amb »

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen

Alan
 This little bit of rain the next few days has great potential for stimulating an active bite by lowering the water temperature. Fishing should be lights out this weekend. Name the day that works best for you and I can meet you down there and maybe give you a tip or two. Not gonna hold your hand but I have been learning a few things about fishing there.
 I like to concentrate on a certain area---learn as much as possible about that area and then pound it hard. Not saying I'm any kind of expert...I'm not. But I have been playing this game for a while and we might be able to help each other out.

So ---open invite to fish . Probably Sunday---but maybe Saturday too if I get my chores done. Get there a couple hours before low tide.

amb

• Lingcod
Mark - The invite is quite humbling.  There's nothing I'd like more than to be able to be there with you but I have to work three 12's until Sunday night.  The plan is to then hit Astoria Monday for salmon on my father-in-laws boat.  The soonest I can give Knappton a try will be Tuesday.

The offer to fish with you is very generous and greatly appreciated.  The regret is I can't make it.  I plan on being very carefull and will have shore backup, so I sould be fine.  Your help has already made the difference in being able to give this a try.  Thanks  -

Alan

tiderider

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
I'm planning on fishing Nehalem Bay and Knappton Saturday and Sunday. No preference which place, which day. Let me know if you plan on fishing there either day.

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
Mark - The invite is quite humbling.  There's nothing I'd like more than to be able to be there with you but I have to work three 12's until Sunday night.  The plan is to then hit Astoria Monday for salmon on my father-in-laws boat.  The soonest I can give Knappton a try will be Tuesday.

The offer to fish with you is very generous and greatly appreciated.  The regret is I can't make it.  I plan on being very carefull and will have shore backup, so I sould be fine.  Your help has already made the difference in being able to give this a try.  Thanks  -

Alan
   Alan
  Too bad that 4 letter word gets in the way of prime activities like fishing. But 3 12's isn't too bad. At least you get it all out of the way -- then have a few more days off that way. That's one thing I love about working on the North Slope. Work 3 weeks with a minimum of 11.5 hours a day-- then 3 weeks off to do whatever you want and have the time to do it.

"Humbling" eh ??? Not my intent at all. You have been doing your homework...offering a helping hand is easy . You've earned it.
  Power boat Monday ? Do you plan on fishing above the bridge on the north side maybe ? Very little boat traffic that I've seen around Humpy Hollow. Depending on the boat size you could still launch at Knappton. I wouldn't try anything over 18-19 feet and not too wide though it can be done. You'd just have to go the long way through the pilings. And maybe some skinny water.
 (just saw Astoria) Never mind  ::) ::) ::)

I'll still go out Sunday and maybe Tuesday as well. Anyone one else want to give it a try come on out -- should be lots of fish for the next few weeks out there.

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
I may still try this - fish incoming tide, the slack, and head off the water when the tide turns and heads out.  The Knappton to Humpy Hollow will be my area making sure to stay away from anywhere further down stream.  Between now and Tuesday I'm sure I'll talk myself into trying it.  Would love to land a chinook.  Thanks for the help guys.  Good Luck and Have Fun -

Alan

I just re-read this post and want to clarify "working the tide on the Colombia River" especially from Knappton.
  It's all about the tidal movement for a kayak. You Do Not want to fight the amount of water flowing down this river. Even on an in coming tide there is a huge volume of water moving. I'm no superman and try to use the tide to my advantage. So here is what I do.....

Arrive at the launch 2 hours before low tide. This will give you a couple of hours to work the trough down toward the shipwreck or further down toward Dismal Nitch if you chose to go that far. I won't get closer to the bridge than that. Too many PB's for my taste. You'll have about a half hour of "slack tide" before it starts coming in again. Then let the tide work you back to your launch site...working the water the entire way. I have found that even an incoming tide can be a work out to fish against. If you work at covering a lot of water this scenario gives you about 5 hours on the water. Should be plenty of time to find that biter.
  You can work against the tides if you want to do that. I choose not to........