Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 07:49:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Plap
[Today at 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Water Resistant Android  (Read 6471 times)

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
After finally giving up my smartphone a couple of years ago for a water resistant dumb-phone, this thing shows up. ::) 

The Motorola DEFY is a water-resistant android smartphone.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/18/motorola-defy-review/

That puppy looks like it could be the new standard in fishing phones. Anybody have any personal experience with it?

Just to add insult to injury, I just upgraded my last waterproof g'zone Rock to the Brigade last year for a a significant premium.  >:( 

Actually, the Brigade is a really nice phone with a big screen, full keyboard and GPS, but it's still not "smart". That Defy looks VERY sweet (ooowwww shiny) :happy2: and I think there may be a couple of Verizon waterproof cell phones coming available in the classifieds.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 11:26:45 PM by Fishesfromtupperware »
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Meh, 18 months to go for my upgrade.  That sure looks nice though.

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I've been contemplating getting that Brigade in the next few days.  Does the email feature work or is it total crap?  I used to have a EnV for a while before I carried a corporate crackberry and liked it.  From what I can tell it is roughly the same thing only tougher and slightly updated. 

I'm not holding my breath for the waterproof Android phones, they will undoubtedly cost a small fortune just like the other ruggedized phones do for the first year or two they are out.  :-\

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Does the email feature work or is it total crap?

Short answer is I dunno. I've been too lazy to set up email. Besides, nobody is looking for an email response from me that can't wait till later. (didn't ol'folks used to say the same thing about cellphones?) :icon_bigsmurf:

I'm not holding my breath for the waterproof Android phones, they will undoubtedly cost a small fortune just like the other ruggedized phones do for the first year or two they are out.  :-\

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what the Defy is? (ruggedized android) Whats more amazing to me is that it's the low-end model for $380 retail that T-mobile is giving away with a contract. :o

I'm looking at changing carriers. Heck, at that price I could buy one straight out.
Does anybody know if all droids run on all carriers (Verizon)?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 06:54:43 AM by Fishesfromtupperware »
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I've decided that cell phone manufacturers do not like making waterproof phones because they don't make any money off of the people that use the same phone that holds up for longer than 3 or four years.  It seems like they have to make one to shut people up, but aside from that, their perfectly content with cranking out tons of non-water proof ones so people can soak them somehow and come crawling back for another one.

(end rant)

(yes, I did fry two cell phones in salt water in 2010)

;D

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Alkasazi

• Lingcod
  • Alkasazi
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
I've been using an Aloksak I picked up somewhere, and it's worked great for my phone. Touchscreen works and everything.

http://www.loksak.com/purchase/aloksak-6.html

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
I'm a Verizon guy, so I'm not aware what the other carriers have other than the ones advertised on TV. 

Aside from the ruggedized phones, most of the premium phones are pretty much junk after a few years.  What's interesting is the basic no-frills phones targeted at seniors last forever.  Planned obsolescence with today's technology is borderline criminal.   :blob8:

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
verizon here too. they had fits when i kept the same basic LG phone for 4 years. they really want that retail. also, verizon has issues with you bringing in an unlocked or non verizon retailed phone and wanting to hook into their network.

Amos, yeh i saw that same thing regarding the disparity on longevity. wonder if it has something to do with senoirs carrying or caring for their phones differently than the 20 & 30 somethings?

you guys got my techie gears turning again. i'm due for an early upgrade on this POS imagio, and really want the droid x. now, i tink so mebbe i gotta go 'chopping some mo'
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
Richard, I honestly think that the phones are designed to last longer because their intended market wouldn't stand for anything less.  Our duty cell phones were these no-frills models due to their being w/o cameras on them and they took years of hard use.  The g'zone phones are nice because they add water resistance into the mix.

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I'm a Verizon guy, so I'm not aware what the other carriers have other than the ones advertised on TV. 

Aside from the ruggedized phones, most of the premium phones are pretty much junk after a few years.  What's interesting is the basic no-frills phones targeted at seniors last forever.  Planned obsolescence with today's technology is borderline criminal.   :blob8:

This has been the corporate philosophy for Shimano's bicycle parts for decades. Since they have monopolized most of the industry, especially with bikes sold new, there isn't much anyone can do except bend over.
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again