Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 01:35:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: ConeHeadMuddler  (Read 2229 times)

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Greetings :D Just thought I'd finally confess an intro.

I'm just an old surf dog out on the coast here in Twin Harbors (reside in Grayland), who likes to fish, paddle, and ride the waves. I like to fly fish for trout, but I'll fish for nearly anything, using appropriate gear.
I'm retiring from the landscape maintenance business this Sept and never looking back. "No! My mowers all died. I killed 'em!"
I love to paddle and explore my local waters, mainly lower rivers, tidal creeks, and estuaries. Late July thru Sept I will be fishing locally for searun cutts and Kings, and Coho well into Nov.

I am really trying to get my Jetty yak-fishing act together. I'd been hiking out on that huge rock pile and fishing from the rocks since the early 80's (first time was '79, actually), but crowds (occupying my fave rocks) and my tricky knees have pushed me into yak fishing out there. Now I feel like a big dry fly when I'm out there, twitching for the big one, but at least my knees thank me.

As April kicks in, ocean conditions are just now calming down, and the lowland lakes are heating up. The Chum fry are dropping into the salt, and the searun cutts in Hood Canal and the S Sound are chasing 'em down and gorging on 'em. The fishing opportunities abound, all-around, and life is good!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 11:39:58 AM by ConeHeadMuddler »
ConeHeadMuddler

jmpurser

• Herring
  • Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
I know what you mean about the crowds.  At first I tried fishing from the public piers around here but if anything is running they're SWAMPED.  Shoulder to shoulder was never something I associated with fishing.

I fished some North of Ocean Shores for surf perch.  I noticed lots of HUGE crab cast offs coming ashore there.  It was one of the first things that got me interested in kayaks.  I really wanted to use a kayak to get a crab pot past those waves.  I'll be out there this summer learning how to get through that surf.  If you like I'll let you know when I head down so you can come out and laugh!

John

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Good Luck this year and happy retirement!

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Thanks Matt, I plan to make good use of my time! My life long practice at slacking has prepared me! When I worked for a corporation, my mantra was "more slack!" I'm ready already!

John, good luck with the crabbing! I don't know if I would try to take a crab pot out thru the surf. I bought my john boat from my neighbor who is an old timer born around these parts, and who once crabbed from the beach over there. He had an old military surplus landing craft back then that he would launch right off the beach!
He says he can't eat fish, and he used my john boat for crabbing, and gathering oysters from the flats here.
The boat was stolen by some delinquents once, and taken down to Tokeland and stashed on a beach, where it got hammered into the rocks when a tree fell on it in a storm. So she's kind of bent, twisted, dented, and dinged, but her rivets are still holding! I might name her "Atreefelloner."

ConeHeadMuddler

anything