Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:07:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: QCI Fishing Report June22nd, 2007  (Read 3560 times)

Water Wolf QCI

• Rockfish
  • Luv Life and Catch Huge Fish
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
Hey everyone... ;)
Well the summer has finally arrived...So have the blackflies and noseeums...Creep and I have managed to get out to allot of different areas around the coast and inner inlets...Weve worked allot of river mouths when it was to windy for the big water and managed to catch a bunch of cutthroat over 5 lbs, Sockeye, and early chinook...They are just starting now to enter the Yakoun(Chinook)...Its almost as if they know that there are 20 gillnets from the local Haida strung accross waiting for the sockeye... ??? But thankfully the netting is done and the fish can be free again...But it didnt affect the yak fishn...I just launched where the nets cant be strung and waved as I fished the unspooked fish...I had a hard time keeping creep(bird dog) in the big game in the bird sanctuary though so I sometimes just left him crying at home...
The Rennel Sound area on the west coast is an amazing place...On the NW wind it can suck but if you luck out and get southerlies your in business...In a weekend trip this spring I fished hard one day and landed 9 Springs, 3 Halibut and a skate...4 Salmon over 20 lbs...1 halibut over 50 lbs and a 30 lb skate...On average for that area your catching 4 or 5 Salmon and a mix of groundfish...Sometimes you get into schools of rockfish and hammer one after another...Black rockfish in about 35 feet or so can be a fun fight on med action rods...Especially if you can keep catching them into the 50s and 60s in a couple hours...
The south west area is pretty tough to get to unless you get towed or have a week off of work...I really want to make it out there with the yak but have only made it out in a boat so far this year...I got all summer though...
The Skidegate Inlet produced allot of Halibut this year...A couple of commercial guys caught a halibut over 280 lbs two weeks ago...My biggest this year drifting herring came about 2 miles off skidegate beach...Id guess it weighed 70+lbs..Since Im still a newbie from the yak Im thankfull Creep wasnt there for that...I pulled out the 22 pistol cause it nearly nailed me with my makeshift hand gaff as it flipped out and slammed its head off my boat, I dropped the gaff and it darted out for the bottom...Jolted the yak really good...So I grabbed the rope and pulled it up to the surface and blasted part of its head away... ;D
The Masset and Juskatla inlet here are starting to boom with Chinook now...Though its closed for catch and keep. If you arent keeping everything you can hammer salmon now on the slack tides and Im doing well after work right now any tide really on this hump(sunken isl..at 48 feet low) There must be a holding pattern there right now cause Its almost instant that I drift over with either anchovies and green heads or herring strips and Apex spoons that I hook one...Sometimes only a couple and sometimes 12...But ya got to release them...Thats OK...Creep usually bites them in the head a bit when I grab them up to show him and then they swim away remembering the yellow yak and the blue Weimaraner...
I'll tell you that since Ive started fishing from these things my passion for fishing has came back with a vengence...Its fun for me to get out there and get into it right next to normal boats...I have allot of friends that still laugh at me from their boats but I have suprizes I bring out when I know I will encouter them...EGGS...If you really want to get back at them for the huge wakes...Throw EGGS...lol
Still have allot to learn about the organization of a yak...Im a bit messy and often catch hooks in the ass or leg but Im learning...
If any of you are venturing up here to QCI...Its worth the trip...Hope to see you at the September Moutcha Tourney...Creep and I will be there for sure...Also if anyone wants to tour to a spot with me afterwards...Im going up to a lake with amazing rainbows...(up to 25 lbs)...Its about a half day drive up towards Williams Lake...But man its amazing...Love to have some company...
Later guys

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Pics?  Where are the pics?   ???

-Allen

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I'll tell you that since Ive started fishing from these things my passion for fishing has came back with a vengence...

Tell me about it. I was "kinda" into fishing all my life. Then yakfishing came alomg and so did the Madness. >:D I haven't been the same ever since :D Hope to hook up in your neck of the woods WWQCI w/ some more of the NWKA boyz for some insane fishing. You seem to live in an amazing place. Til then tight linez braddah!

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

fishdog

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Hey Jeff,

I didn't think you Canadian guys were allowed to have pistols   ;D

That sounds crazy man......I can't wait to join you.

Darren

anything