Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 04:51:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 31, 2024, 09:49:03 AM]

[May 31, 2024, 09:04:10 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 01:49:12 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:59:33 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:42:05 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:40:13 AM]

by Spot
[May 29, 2024, 11:32:10 AM]

[May 28, 2024, 07:37:19 AM]

[May 28, 2024, 06:19:06 AM]

[May 27, 2024, 09:56:01 PM]

by PNW
[May 27, 2024, 03:12:21 PM]

[May 27, 2024, 07:56:46 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Poll

Are you planning on attending Moutcha?

Yes
6 (54.5%)
No
1 (9.1%)
Maybe
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Topic: Moutcha 2008  (Read 10134 times)

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
  • It's called a "Slow Loris"
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Breaking news!

I hate to break hearts here, but I don't think that there will be any more Moutcha Bay Tyee surfing derbies in the foreseeable future.  I recently emailed Moutcha Jim to secure a campsite for Labor Day 2008 and recieved a form letter in return stating that this year he would be renting out the sites on an annual basis.

It looks like if you missed it last year, you've really missed it.  Sorry all.

Fishin-T
If at first you don't succeed....  maybe skydiving is just not for you.

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
All,

I might be wrong.  We'll have to see what developes from this.  If you go to the Moutcha site:  http://www.moutchabay.com/ , you'll see that the form letter was accurate enough, but I guess that the Tyee Tounament is not neccessarily kaput.  I can't wait to see how THIS one plays out.

Fishin-T

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Yeah, will have to see.

I say in the event that it does get cancelled, we make our own Tourney there.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

charliefl66

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Amen to that ??? Hate to lose that trip.  We need to check into something else in that neck of the woods and e-mail Jim at Moutcha Bay and sound our discontent.

Charlie

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
Uh oh.  I just got off the phone with Charles who spoke to Jim's brother.  Something about not having anyone to run the derby this year ... well, that and the other changes you are seeing.

I've called and left a message.  If there is anyway we can keep this derby running, including ME running it myself, we'll get it done.  At the very least we'll find some place nearby to camp and see if they'll let us launch from there.  I was/am so looking forward to heading back up there this year.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Amen to that ??? Hate to lose that trip.  We need to check into something else in that neck of the woods and e-mail Jim at Moutcha Bay and sound our discontent.

Charlie

Hold off on emailing and phone calling until I get some more info.  No need to flood them.

-Allen

charliefl66

• Perch
Allen you are the man!  If you need any help let me know, Also don't forget that halibut trip in June. 

Charles

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I'm down to do what I can to help it work as well. If we can't use the spots at Jim's I've heard good things about the town just passed it, Tahsis.

Z

http://www.tahsis.ca/

« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 04:30:19 PM by Zeelander »
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I talked to Moutcha Jim today.   Without going into too much detail, there are some behind the scenes business issues going on.  Jim says they hope to make a decision within a couple weeks.  He'll send an update when that occurs and I'll pass it on to you all.

-Allen

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
All is not lost.  I'm seeing a boat launch and camping (almost for sure primitive) about 4 miles west of Moutcha Bay when looking at the Vancouver Island "Backroads Map".  It would be a tough go, but doable for most.  Yeah, that's a 2 hr paddle for old guys like me, but still doable for DETERMINED old guys like me.

And this is our worst case too.  Reading deeply between the lines, I think that Jim still wants to have a tournament in front of his place.  It's just that camping at the resort will probably not be an option.  But maybe launching WILL be an option.  On my same backroads map, I'm seeing primitive camping only maybe 2 miles from Jim's place and several more within about 30 miles.

Like Allen said, let's let him be the mouthpiece and focus for our group.  Remember, Jim has always been a buddy to the NWKA before, and I fully imagine that he still is.

Fishin-T

charliefl66

• Perch
No problem will let Allen do the talking for us :-X  What have you heard about that town Zee.

Charles

PS like cabins or anything to rent?

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
So, if someone was driving up from Oregon to go to this part of Vancouver Island, what would be the best route and Ferry to take?
See ya on the water..
Roy

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I believe you'll want I-5 N, switch over to 101 N in Olympia and head up to Port Angeles and take the ferry to Victoria.   From there I have no idea how to get to Moutcha Bay.  I'm sure others will chime in.

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
I kinda figured port angeles as i was looking closer. I live close to 101 so i  can just take 101 the whole way... umm, i just pulled out the atlas and maybe its not a good idea to take 101 the whole way without turning right at Aberdeen ? 12 to 108 to 101 looks like a better way?..
See ya on the water..
Roy

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
Yakker,

How ever it is you decide to get to Port Angeles, P.A. to Victoria is the ferry you want.  It's named the Coho and it's run by Black Ball.  You will almost certainly want reservations at that time of year cause the next one won't sail for at least 4 hours after you missed this one.  Lots of good food to be found within walking distance of the terminal though.

From Victoria it's easy.  Head north on #19 (also #1) to Campbell River and then turn west on #28 to Gold River.  From Gold River you can either ask in G.R. or we'll probably post a portion of the local map before time.  From Victoria, my maps state that it's about 6.5 hrs to G.R., and then it's about 40 more dirt road miles to Moutcha Bay.  Yeah, this place is OUT there.  But that's what makes it so cool!

Fishin-T

anything