Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 09:34:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:49:03 AM]

[Today at 09:04:10 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 01:49:12 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:59:33 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:42:05 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:40:13 AM]

by Spot
[May 29, 2024, 11:32:10 AM]

[May 28, 2024, 07:37:19 AM]

[May 28, 2024, 06:19:06 AM]

[May 27, 2024, 09:56:01 PM]

by PNW
[May 27, 2024, 03:12:21 PM]

[May 27, 2024, 07:56:46 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: More images of Fairy Lake & Port Renfrew  (Read 6095 times)

Snapperjim

• Krill
  • Watch out for bald eagles!
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Here are some more pics! Some are just thumb nails, the first are of Fairy lake at dawn, some of you will reckonize Sean & Tom.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 10:27:31 PM by Snapperjim »

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Yes, there is a limit on image size per post, but you can always reply in the post and attach more images.  See what I did in the Neah Bay derby report.  Each post in the thread can have it's own attachements.

-Allen

Snapperjim

• Krill
Thanks Allen, well at least I figured the images & how to get them up! I have most of them on my old computer & have to transfer them over to the new one, a little tedious to say the least. JP

Snapperjim

• Krill
Sean & Tom headed into San Juan Bay...

Snapperjim

• Krill
One of the old road tressels from the north arm of the San Juan River... this is one of the one lane bridges one crosses to get to Fairy Lake... which is about 4 or five miles from Port Renfrew.
One of the several campsites to choose from, this one is quite good, as there are flush toilets & Showers!
Sean takes a dump!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 10:19:33 PM by Snapperjim »

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Hey Snapper!

Those are some great looking shots.  Love your avatar too.

-Allen

snag-a-but

• Herring
Port Renfrew is a small drinking village with a fishing problem...

It's a great trip and Renfrew (Port San Juan) beach is a drve up site that is Native land. $5 per night per person.

If the timing is right we can fish the ocean side of the bridge (salt water) which is legal, paddle the river and catch (see) the black bears feed on the salmon run as well as lay down some crab traps which is a 15 minute paddle.

I can pick people up at either the BC ferry or maybe even more convenient at the Coho ferry so someone can do a walk on from Port Angeles and save the cost the the vehicle. There is also another walk on only ferry from Port Angeles that is only 55 minutes long and you can also bring your yak on that one. Jimbo and I scoped it out when we came back from Neah bay. Let me know if anyone is interested and I can find out the name of that other Port A ferry.

Cheers
Sean
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 08:34:04 AM by snag-a-but »

• Date Registered: May 2006
Wow, those are some great photos Jim!  I recognize that yellow banana Snag, the one you previously owned right?!  (Wilderness/Tarpon).  I notice you guys had a rudder, and if you got dump, then my SP may be in trouble as it doesn't have a rudder right now.

As for the walk on Snag, are you referring to the Clipper going from Seattle to Victoria?  I didn't realize you could carry a kayak with you, unless I'm mistaken.

VP

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
  • It's called a "Slow Loris"
V.P.,

I'm thinking that you're probably right about the Clipper from P.A.  Pretty sure it's a passenger-only, no-cars ferry and I'd be suprised if they had provisions for the kind of space that a kayak would take up.  That doesn't have to be the plan crippling hurdle however.  Maybe if someone from the U.S. side wants to come up but only wants to be a walk-on, then maybe you guys out on Vancouver Is. have enough kayaks now that you could arrange for a loaner.  Or maybe a rental could be picked up ahead of time from that dealer in Duncan?

You're correct when you notice that I had a rudder on my yak out at Port Renfrew last year when I made one of my first (not succesfull) attempts to land in about 3' to 4' surf.  If you look at the pictures really closely though, you'll notice that my rudder is in stowed mode.  I nearly never use it and also didn't in my surf landing attempts.  It comes in handy when quartering into or away from the wind but I can't imagine how it would help in the surf, so don't let the lack of one keep you from giving it a try if you're dressed right for the job.

Here you go, V.P., here's a link to one of the best short articles that I've found on the web dealing with surf launches and landings:

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/articles_view.asp?Kayak_Articles=20

Fishin-T
If at first you don't succeed....  maybe skydiving is just not for you.

snag-a-but

• Herring
The other ferry from Port Angeles is called the Victoria Express. It's walk on only. It's painted red and moored right next to the Coho.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Victoria Express allows kayaks for $5.  It looks like it only runs until Sept 24  ... at least I can only find "summer season" sailing times and fares.

http://www.victoriaexpress.com/fares.html

-Allen

Snapperjim

• Krill
Hi All! ;)

When I was up or is it down? in Port Renfrew, last week end, I heard that the dam across the river has presently totally blocked the San Juan River.  Andrew at the San Juan Cafe, (who has Kayaks for Rent BTW)  ;D & good coffee & eats!

http://www.oceanswestkayaks.com/home.htm   Is hoping that there will be an effort made to clear a passage way through soon... (possibly looking for some volunteer help to do so).

If the dam is not cleared, the "Teddy Bear Picnic" trip could turn into a short version trip by heading out of Fairy Lake & back again... missing the ride down the river to Port Renfrew.  There are a number of other great opportunities to fish or just kayak in the area, after a shorter trip!

Hoping to get my Hobie SUV within the next week!  :o

Jim

And it's Sean in the lead... headed across to Neah Bay by the looks of it... Tom not too far behind!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 10:26:11 PM by Snapperjim »

• Date Registered: May 2006
Keep em coming Jimbo, awesome photos.  I'm really enjoying those pics.  You take great photos dude!

Thanks for the kayak tips Fishin-T.  I'm going to look into reading more of the basiscs on KF-stuff.  They have so much info.
Came across some battery operated rudders at Cdn tire the other day, don't know if they would fit or mountable on a kayak but the price was very decent.  It ranges from $154cdn - $300, 30lbs. push right up to 46lbs. I'm assuming this is how much power it has offcourse.

VP

anything