Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:30:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: New southwest Oregon kayaker  (Read 1741 times)

MakoMark

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2022
Hello to all kayak fisherman, I'm new to this board because I got a new Hobie Compass for Christmas.  I've owned several kayaks, the one prior being 14ft Severn that I  built from Chesapeake Light Craft. 1/8 in. Ply 35 lbs. Padded that boat all over Baja, Texas, Montana, California,  and Oregon.  I  moved to the south Oregon coast 5 years back and have a 20ft Mako with a Honda 130 to fish tuna ect. but the old kayak started to delaminate but I miss the kayak experience.
   A friend invited me to visit him in Florida,  and I  wanted a $500 kayak to put on the roof of the truck.  After much research the budget went out the window and Brian at Waxers had a new 2021 he just received and the customer had backed out.  The compass was the right boat for me due to weight, stability,  water tight for ocean waves, and is a clean slate for rigging.  The Florida trip has been postponed so I started preparing for the Oregon ocean.
  I started with the rectangular hatch upgrade putting the 12v kakattack battery under the round hatch, and installing a Lowrance hook reveal 5 gps/ff with the 50/200 transducer ( had to cut the nose off and new mounting hole to fit).  Bright yellow England 30qt. cooler with 4 rod holders, scotty cup holder, sail kit with roller furler,  and two 19in H bars. Got the fat beach wheels, a new Kokatat dry suit,  gloves,  boots, thermals , and water hat.  Got a new Hobie PDF  and added a hook knife, whistle, and S.H. HX40 vhf.
  I've always wanted a peddle kayak but with a bad knee I  needed something else, so I  add the Texas power paddle with cooler mounting feet for the battery case on the back deck.
  Added a few new tools; knife, fish gripper,  pliers, lanyards,  pad eyes, pulleys, ancor trolley,  two track rod holders. Reworked an old net with new webbing and float. Everything is line green on gray or black to match the boat color.
  Ok so my $500 butget turned into $7K, luckily I have rigged boats for over 20 years and did all the rigging.  Brian at Waxers has been a great help!
Now for Sunset bay. ;

MakoMark

• Herring
Just a few more pics

MakoMark

• Herring
Added texas power

superkona

• Krill
Super cool rig. Also here in So. OR.
2014 Hobie Outback

MakoMark

• Herring
Thanks Superkona, what type of Kayak fishing do you do?

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
You'll be hard to miss out there. ;D We are in Bandon frequently. Sometimes we fish the lakes or ,rarely, Sunset Bay or Port Orford. Mainly do shore based fishing down there.

BentRod

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

skayaker2

• Rockfish
  • Since 2010. Formerly known as "skayaker"
  • TAFKAS (The Angler Formerly Known As Skayaker)
  • Date Registered: May 2018
Welcome to NWKA MakoMark! I also own several kayaks, some CLC wooden boats that I build myself as well (some for me, some for friends), including the Chesapeake 16 in my avatar picture which was built not from a kit but expanding the pages included in "The New Kayak Shop" book, which also included the Severn plans, that's why I recognized the name of your wooden kayak. I have never had delamination on any of the CLC boats, I have used Okoume marine grade plywood, fiberglass and Goldspar UV resistant varnish. Then again, I have only used my wooden kayaks in the Pacific Northwest. Was the delamination on the plywood layers or between the wood and fiberglass? Water intrusion after hull damage? Your new kayak rig is a long way from the home built Severn!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 10:40:43 AM by skayaker2 »

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
Nice rig and welcome to NWKA, great to have more people on the central/south coast! 

My freezer is getting low on ling/rockfish, looking forward to getting out of Sunset Bay soon. Most years I seem to hit a good day or 2 in Feb/March, for sure by April.  Lower CoosBay (submerged jetty) has been my back-up if the ocean just isn't cooperating, there can be some big lingcod in there during the winter months. 

Definitely planning to do more salmon fishing out of Sunset Bay this August.   ;D  Hope to see you out fishing in 2022!  cheers, roger

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Welcome from a fellow new member.
Very nice build.
I wish I were able to do something like that but now is not the time.

I have tried several kayaks and had high hopes for the compass, however when I tried it it was so uncomfortable I couldn't breathe. I think the new model with the improved seat might have been fine but I haven't been able to find one to try.

I hope to read stories about your upcoming adventures and who knows... maybe I will see you out there.
I love the Southern Oregon coast and make at least one or two trips down there each year, but mostly to motorcycle camp. No fishing trips yet.... YET!.

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Welcome to the NWKA Mako Mark.  Its funny how our kayak budgets consistently go bust as we set ourselves up.  Enjoy your compass.
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

MakoMark

• Herring
Welcome to NWKA MakoMark! I also own several kayaks, some CLC wooden boats that I build myself as well (some for me, some for friends), including the Chesapeake 16 in my avatar picture which was built not from a kit but expanding the pages included in "The New Kayak Shop" book, which also included the Severn plans, that's why I recognized the name of your wooden kayak. I have never had delamination on any of the CLC boats, I have used Okoume marine grade plywood, fiberglass and Goldspar UV resistant varnish. Then again, I have only used my wooden kayaks in the Pacific Northwest. Was the delamination on the plywood layers or between the wood and fiberglass? Water intrusion after hull damage? Your new kayak rig is a long way from the home built Severn!
The Severn was built from Luan door skins and water got down the edge under the fur rail. Did last 20 years.

MakoMark

• Herring
Welcome from a fellow new member.
Very nice build.
I wish I were able to do something like that but now is not the time.

I have tried several kayaks and had high hopes for the compass, however when I tried it it was so uncomfortable I couldn't breathe. I think the new model with the improved seat might have been fine but I haven't been able to find one to try.

I hope to read stories about your upcoming adventures and who knows... maybe I will see you out there.
I love the Southern Oregon coast and make at least one or two trips down there each year, but mostly to motorcycle camp. No fishing trips yet.... YET!.

I sat in the compass for almost an hour in the store and almost three hours on the lake, once adjusted promptly for me,  I found it extremely comfortable. I was going to get cushions  but it has moved much lower on the list.