Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 01:21:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Plap
[Today at 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Blackened Rockfish  (Read 6345 times)

goldendog

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
After having great success with blackened salmon last fall, I decided to try the recipe on the black rockfish I caught last Friday. I first preheated the cast iron skillet on the grill until the temp read 400 degrees. I had lightly oiled the pan with some canola before heating. The fillets were shaken in a bag containing the blackening seasoning. Then, before putting in the pan, they were dipped in melted butter. A couple minutes on each side was all it took. One would think that the fillets would stick, but they don't. I have to say that this is now my favorite way to cook rockfish, at least black rockfish! The outside comes out spicy and crispy, and the inside stays firm and juicy.
Fishing is much more than fish.  It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
That looks tasty Dave.   I'm always paranoid that I'm going to grab the cast iron handle with my bare hands when cooking like that.

BTW, did you know that when the famous chef Paul Prudhomme invented blackening with his signature blackened redfish dish in the early 80's that it became so popular that it had a huge impact on redfish stocks.  In fact, they had to eventually shut down the fishery for awhile to let it recover.

A similar thing happened around the same time with Julia Child introducing monkfish to America.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

craig

• Sturgeon
I love blackened fish.  I used to do that with the striped bass I would catch in Lake Havasu.  We would do it outside over our fire pit.  Good times and good grub.  What were the blackening seasonings comprised of?

-Craig

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
onion powder, cayenne pepper, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper.   I don't remember to proportions and I believe others have secret extra ingredients they like to use.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Yummy! 

Dave you should come up with a blackened rock fish chowder to spoil us with.   ;)

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

amb

• Lingcod
Nice job Dave.  Gonna have to give that a try.  Thanks for the info -

Alan 

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Blackened fish is where it's at!! I usually do mine on a countertop griddle. you can do a handful of fillets at a time, plus you get a good spatula angle. A warning to those who have never tried this...... the initial inhale of the steam is damn near like a shot of pepper spray........
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

goldendog

• Salmon
I forgot to add that it was served with a generous dollup of sour cream! Craig, I will get the seasoning recipe from my wife and post it later.
Fishing is much more than fish.  It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover