Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 12:51:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Plap
[Today at 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Ceviche  (Read 4973 times)

revjcp

• Sturgeon
  • Don't judge me...
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
How do you make yours?  I made some with halibut today and it was the best ever. :) 
Malibu Mini-X

Formers Rides...
OK Trident 13
Hobie Outback

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

Kaptain King

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
I like Halibut as well - with red onion, jalapeno (I like Habanero without seeds), cilantro, green olives, a little garlic, and salt and pepper. Soak the fish in lime juice and a little orange juice. Drain about 1/4 of the juice and add the other ingredients, chopped. Good with regular chips and plantains. I also like to add shrimp and clams right out of the shell. Excellent.

When I was in Key West, the best ceviche I had was with large butterflied prawns, lime juice, Habanero pepper, red onion, garlic, ginger, coconut milk. Soak the prawns in lime juice for 30 minutes, then add the rest...About 1/3 cup coconut milk and the chopped stuff. THE BEST EVER.

Cheers!

maverick

• Rockfish
my favorite is tuna, but practically any seafood works.. more traditional but equal parts of: lime juice, tomato, jalapeño or serrano(less if you can't take the heat), red onion, AVOCADO,  half part cilantro, salt to taste, refrigerate minimum hour but overnight is better. unsalted corn chips and globs of tapatio is key! I also like to add a dash of cardamom and a clove of garlic but not necessary
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 11:51:07 AM by maverick »

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
One magical secret word "Clamato"

Fiskari

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
I really like the idea of the coconut milk, never tried that direction before.... sounds like an excuse for experimentation

islandson671

• Heroes On The Water NWest
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
On Guam we do a cross between ceviche and HaWaiian Poke. Called Kelaguen there is different styles from fish, shrimp, deer, beef, chicken and spam to name a few. All have different variations but most start raw including the deer and beef (not the chicken).

My recipe for the fish,  I prefer salmon, tuna, hamachi, marlin or swordfish raw. For 1 lb of fish, dice into 3/8" cubes (remove bones and skin prior) juice of 2 lemons, 1 lime and then use a grater or rasp to remove the zest from 1 lime and 1 lemon. Dice up 2 green onions, 1 clove garlic finely chopped, I use a special hot pepper from Guam called Donne' small and extremely hot but you can use Thai bird chilis or jalepeno (add only what you can eat), 2 tbsp of finely chopped ginger, a splash of Kikkoman Shoyu a pinch of kosher salt and black pepper, 1 cucumber (remove seeds and skin but I like to leave a bit of the skin) diced to same size of fish, 2 tbsp of sesame oil and a tsp of toasted sesame seeds. Combine everything in a glass bowl mix well cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least a couple hours before serving with your favorite brew.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

NWnoob

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
On Guam we do a cross between ceviche and HaWaiian Poke. Called Kelaguen there is different styles from fish, shrimp, deer, beef, chicken and spam to name a few. All have different variations but most start raw including the deer and beef (not the chicken).

My recipe for the fish,  I prefer salmon, tuna, hamachi, marlin or swordfish raw. For 1 lb of fish, dice into 3/8" cubes (remove bones and skin prior) juice of 2 lemons, 1 lime and then use a grater or rasp to remove the zest from 1 lime and 1 lemon. Dice up 2 green onions, 1 clove garlic finely chopped, I use a special hot pepper from Guam called Donne' small and extremely hot but you can use Thai bird chilis or jalepeno (add only what you can eat), 2 tbsp of finely chopped ginger, a splash of Kikkoman Shoyu a pinch of kosher salt and black pepper, 1 cucumber (remove seeds and skin but I like to leave a bit of the skin) diced to same size of fish, 2 tbsp of sesame oil and a tsp of toasted sesame seeds. Combine everything in a glass bowl mix well cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least a couple hours before serving with your favorite brew.

What can I expect next weekend?  Im looking forward to something good and spicy!!
2nd place 2012 Salmon SlayRide
2nd place 2013 Salmon SlayRide
1st place 2014 Salmon SlayRide

islandson671

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Nate

I never did try use the local fish besides the salmon. Might have to hook it up fresh this weekend, just gotta watch for da worms. LOL :P

Or I might have to try and make it out to Ranch 99 for some Ahi but, it's gonna be tight with only 3 days left in my week.

JamesC

• Lingcod
  • 2012 Hobie Revo 13 - Gray

My Grandma is from Guam and I will second the Kelaguen. I've only had Chicken Kelaguen though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
All fishermen are liars except you and me
(and sometimes I wonder about you).
-Anonymous

bigdood

• Lingcod
  • poormansheli
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Do you guys deep freeze your fish for a week to kill off any potential worms or just opt to eat the infrequent citrus marinated worm?

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Just eat the worm :) chew well ...

Seriously though, when you are cutting your chunks you would have to be blind not to see a worm.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

islandson671

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Just eat the worm :) chew well ...

Seriously though, when you are cutting your chunks you would have to be blind not to see a worm.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
I'm just lazy Bill! LOL

revjcp

• Sturgeon
  • Don't judge me...
The recipe I have liked the most of far was this...

@1.5 +/- of fish... I have used black rockfish and halibut
bunches of limes (6ish)
2 cans of petite cut tomatoes... I prefer the S&W kind in "rich" juice, whatever that means... this does taste different to me
jalepenos to taste... I have used as little as a half and as many as three
half a red/purple onion
half a bunch of cilantro
salt
pepper
cap full of white vinegar

I slice the fish pretty thin, against the grain.  I put in in a container with the juice of 6 limes... and let it "cook" 8-12 hours
An hour or less before I am going to serve the ceviche, I drain the fish, and cut up the rest of the ingredients and combine them with the tomatoes.  I mix up the tomatoes, cilantro, jalepeno so they are combines well.  Then I start going for the taste I want... a little salt, a little pepper... when it seems right to me... a bit on the tomato-y side... I add the drained fish.  They fish mellows out the tomato with the lime and then I combine that well and start tasting again... usually, more salt, pepper... sometimes a touch of garlic powder... then, just depending on the taste... I may add a capful of white vinegar or the juice of half or quarter of a lime. 

I like to serve this on a tostada and find I prefer this recipe to any using fresh tomatoes... which, quite frankly, shocked me.  I haven't tried this with salmon yet, but I have had it with shrimp.  yum yum.
Malibu Mini-X

Formers Rides...
OK Trident 13
Hobie Outback

revjcp

• Sturgeon
  • Don't judge me...
more is cooking as we speak... I am trying ling this time. :)
Malibu Mini-X

Formers Rides...
OK Trident 13
Hobie Outback