Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 02:31:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Ocean Kayak Manta  (Read 10337 times)

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Ocean Kayak Manta.  An acquaintance has one in his backyard.  It's been there about a year and is a little faded, but not brittle.  16', sea kayak, which I think was manufactured in about 2000.  No rudder, but designed to accept one.  He is not sure what he wants to do with it, use it, or sell it, but he is interested in what it may be worth and any reviews. 

There is a bit on the web about it, but not much.  I'd appreciate any information or comments anyone may have on the boat. 
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I just googled it as I have heard nothing about it

A few pics of the Manta rigged http://www.eastcoastkayakfishing.com/community/eckf-kayak-fishing-photos/63-al-stillman/album.html?albumid=8

I don't see any info on the Ocean Kayak website, discontinued?

Interesting concept at least.
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Discontinued long ago.  Not many out there and not much demand.  I believe Kayak Kevin paddles one.

-Allen

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Pretty sure the yellow and green one you pictured is the one Kayak Kevin paddled from Pensacola FL back to Chesapeake Bay.

http://kayakkevin.com/baytour08/flatour05.html

[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

bigdood

• Lingcod
  • poormansheli
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Saw those  for sale a few times when I lived in the Bay area.  Never went for much (always $200 and under), and never seemed to sell quick (whereas most other yaks were gone quickly - so much so that I bought used). 

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
KayakKevin also used that same Manta on his Chesapeake Bay tour last year. He definitely likes that kayak for long distances.
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

theramrod

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
This is the thread that helped me find this forum so I figured I'd jump in if you dont mind. 2 years ago I bought an Ocean Kayak Manta model as my 1st kayak and I am still in love w/ this boat. It is a bit big but also pretty comfortable and way faster then my Ride135. When I got the kayak it was equipped w/ 2 rod holders installed just behind the seat. W/ the exception of the milk crate behind the seat, the 1st picture is how I bought her. Since then, I have strapped a milkcrate in front of me, tie strapped a 3 rod holder to the front milk crate as well as a fish bag to the front milk crate and use the back crate for tackle. It's a touring kayak that's been converted to a fishing machine and I love this boat. I have named her 'Laser Hawk'. She's a bit of a hooptie, but I cant wait to take her out again, hopefully tomorrow.

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
This is the thread that helped me find this forum so I figured I'd jump in if you dont mind. 2 years ago I bought an Ocean Kayak Manta model as my 1st kayak and I am still in love w/ this boat. It is a bit big but also pretty comfortable and way faster then my Ride135. When I got the kayak it was equipped w/ 2 rod holders installed just behind the seat. W/ the exception of the milk crate behind the seat, the 1st picture is how I bought her. Since then, I have strapped a milkcrate in front of me, tie strapped a 3 rod holder to the front milk crate as well as a fish bag to the front milk crate and use the back crate for tackle. It's a touring kayak that's been converted to a fishing machine and I love this boat. I have named her 'Laser Hawk'. She's a bit of a hooptie, but I cant wait to take her out again, hopefully tomorrow.

This kayak (to me) looks similar in shape and size to the adventure island.
What are the little "manta find" on the front of the kayak for? Just aesthetics? Or do they serve a purpose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

theramrod

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
They claimed the Manta fins break up waves especially upon re-entry in the surf. They seamed to break up boat wake well for me, have yet to take it in the surf though.