Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:59:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: [KFM] Most Popular Kayaks on KFM in 2013  (Read 3282 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Want to know what kayaks others are looking at on KFM. Here are the top 10 most visited listings over the past year.

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/gear-guide/90-new-fishing-kayaks/1842-most-popular-kayak-on-kfm-in-2013.html

Skidplate

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
Mmmm marketing info....

I wonder though how these trends compare to the dollars spent on advertising. I would guess that those that are on your list with fewest marketing dollars spent will be the better all around boats for your user demographic.

Either way, shop owners should be taking note of this.
My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I tried to find correlation between our current advertisers and rankings to see if we somehow inadvertently skew these results.  I don't see much.  One of the reasons is that the ads don't point to our listings, instead they point to the manufacturers.

Regarding overall advertising budget ... well, nothing surprising with Jackson, Hobie, and Wildy on this list.  The OT Predator is new and drew a lot of press.  Malibu spent very little on advertising this year and the X-13 showed on the list.  And Native has relatively little presence on the west coast.

There is some correlation between us covering new product intros and a spike in pageviews to those listings.  Not surprising there.

It is interesting to note what sort of kayaks show up on this list.  Nothing over 13'.  And a lot of kayaks that  you don't see too much on the west coast, at least not enough to justify the higher rankings.  There is so much more variety of kayaks in other regions.

-Allen

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
I suspect part of the predominance of the 13 footers is  versatility since you can use them on estuaries back waters lakes streams etc more easily than the longer boats.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
A 13 foot boat is just plain easier to move store and deal with.
I love my Addy but 16 feet is a PITA to deal with....

Sent from my Motorola Flip phone.

Skidplate

• Salmon
I wouldn't think that your internal ads would skew the results significantly. More so, those companies that have sufficiently branded themselves or accurately targeted their market.

I'm just guessing that a lot of your site visits are search routed. Search is correlated with advertising. So if a company advertises more, search results will skew towards that product and your site is well crafted and will show high with the ranking engines. I found you on the first page for "choosing a fishing kayak" and on the second for "fishing kayak reviews". Awesome.

I wouldn't think that geographics are as important either since most of those visits to your pages are probably going to be first time researchers looking for as much info as possible. Not necessarily looking for online purchase.

If you could break down your users geography and correlate it with the specific kayak page views, that would also be interesting to look at and I think would relate to that specific companies strong markets or where they spend a lot of their advertising dollars. That in turn, on a long term macro view, would show where the sport is taking off the fastest or where the companies see future potential.

Regarding the length, I don't know if it's a factor in the list. If indeed the majority of users are first time buyers, they don't know anything like that and will be interested first in researching what is familiar to them. (what's been advertised, what they've read /are told and what others are buying.)

Just shooting from the hip and random thoughts, but definitely fun stuff.
My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Thanks, Skidplate; those are great points. Pinpointing our demographics is something we're trying to key in on. Kayak reviews comprise a large portion of our readership, and Allen's list is certainly eye opening. Kayak preferences do seem to be based upon geography, and the correlations therein are something we need to watch. Certain companies do dominate specific geographical markets, and others lack a similar foothold. Lots of food for thought and ponderance...
Blog/Photo Dump

Editor, The Milkcrate, Kayak Angler Lifestyle.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I'm just guessing that a lot of your site visits are search routed. Search is correlated with advertising. So if a company advertises more, search results will skew towards that product and your site is well crafted and will show high with the ranking engines. I found you on the first page for "choosing a fishing kayak" and on the second for "fishing kayak reviews". Awesome.

Yes and no.  For new products, we do drive a lot of views to the listings through editorial coverage.

I wouldn't think that geographics are as important either since most of those visits to your pages are probably going to be first time researchers looking for as much info as possible. Not necessarily looking for online purchase.

If you could break down your users geography and correlate it with the specific kayak page views, that would also be interesting to look at and I think would relate to that specific companies strong markets or where they spend a lot of their advertising dollars. That in turn, on a long term macro view, would show where the sport is taking off the fastest or where the companies see future potential.

Well, geographics are important in the sense that interest is driven from specific geographies.  I've shared geographics stats with a few select advertisers and it lines up well with their sales.

Regarding the length, I don't know if it's a factor in the list. If indeed the majority of users are first time buyers, they don't know anything like that and will be interested first in researching what is familiar to them. (what's been advertised, what they've read /are told and what others are buying.)

Certainly there are a lot of first time buyers looking for info.  But I'm guessing there are a lot of seasoned veterans looking at what other reviewers might be saying about their kayaks.  And seasoned kayak anglers looking to buy another kayak (latest and greatest).

-Allen

Skidplate

• Salmon
Well, geographics are important in the sense that interest is driven from specific geographies.  I've shared geographics stats with a few select advertisers and it lines up well with their sales.

I agree that they are important and you pretty much stated what I was trying to, but better. What I think I meant was that the rankings of 1-10 aren't as relevant on a national level if the geographies are skewed. (in response to your previous statement regarding west coast type kayaks)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon

I agree that they are important and you pretty much stated what I was trying to, but better. What I think I meant was that the rankings of 1-10 aren't as relevant on a national level if the geographies are skewed. (in response to your previous statement regarding west coast type kayaks)

Ah got  it. Yeah, we live a sheltered life w.r.t kayak fishing here on the west coast.   ::)  There is a whole other world of kayak fishing out there.

-Allen

anything