Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:42:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: [KFM] New Offshore Kayak From Wilderness Systems  (Read 7298 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Wilderness Systems has something cooking for the offshore kayak angler.  Check out article for more pics and a video!

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/gear-guide/90-new-fishing-kayaks/1879-new-offshore-kayak-from-wilderness-systems.html

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Here's the video.  What do you guys think.  First Jackson leaks a west coast offshore kayak (ala Jim Sammons) and now Wildy has one.  It's good to see the tide turn.  "Bass Yaks" are so last year.

-Allen

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I'll repeat my comment from Facebook here:

Watched the video - pretty interesting. I like that they're taking the market needs seriously. I have seen the massive improvements they've made to the Tarpon 120 over the years (I have an old one, and let me tell you, they've made some huge improvements!) and I'm glad they're continuing their trend of innovation.

I am curious about what looks like a giant front hatch - that could be really useful or really cumbersome depending on how they implement it. I like what I am seeing in the back area - looks like a very large area for a crate or cooler. This must be like 13 or 14 feet?

Ray Borbon

• Lingcod
  • Hook em and cook em
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
It looks like there is a spot in the bottom of the hull near the foot rests which is hollow or depressed. I wonder if they plan to accommodate the wide range of transducer models and if that was why it looked different in that section of the hull. In the end it's just a kayak. I like to see change, a market with a lot of options and new ideas but with this model I can't see anything earth shattering so far. That goes for the new Jackson kayak coming out too. The front hatch looks it was designed to be a platform of some sort since it's raised up and flat. I don't see myself running out to buy one but glad to see the developments for those that require the latest gizmos :-)

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
It looks like there is a spot in the bottom of the hull near the foot rests which is hollow or depressed. I wonder if they plan to accommodate the wide range of transducer models and if that was why it looked different in that section of the hull. In the end it's just a kayak. I like to see change, a market with a lot of options and new ideas but with this model I can't see anything earth shattering so far. That goes for the new Jackson kayak coming out too. The front hatch looks it was designed to be a platform of some sort since it's raised up and flat. I don't see myself running out to buy one but glad to see the developments for those that require the latest gizmos :-)

Yeah, I agree. "Cool, but..." it's not like I'm going to go sell something and buy this. It just seems to be an interesting time in kayak fishing, so it's fun seeing what the various brands try to do to grab market share.

Ray Borbon

• Lingcod
  • Hook em and cook em
On that note: I'm about to go retro with my next kayak. Getting a used sit-in for river fishing. The market is definitely flooded with good options when it comes to bass kayaks. LOL

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Interesting perspective guys.  Assuming there is an "offshore" or "west coast" category of fishing kayaks, which current models would you say fit that?  And what makes them fit that?

My own thoughts ... longer, narrower, lighter, a joy to paddle miles and miles from the launch and back.  Able to handle wind waves and swells in varied conditions, doesn't just pound over the waves when heading into them and doesn't get pushed around when in following seas.  Surfs well.

-Allen

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
The over-sized hatch looks like what Malibu has on their kayaks.  I loved the idea of a front hatch that size but it did have increased leakage.  It was great for stowing rods and would be even better for stowing a fish bag. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 12:18:39 PM by rawkfish »

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Ray Borbon

• Lingcod
  • Hook em and cook em
I don't know that I would try to define "off shore fishing kayak" as a category but my guess is that most people would be looking for some of the experiences you just mentioned "narrow, light, easy to paddle, handle wind waves and swells".  My experience is limited with kayaks and different models but I can tell you I have not really seen a "fishing kayak" that surfs that well yet. Not that I need one. I just don't care if I crash in the surf most times.

From what I can tell Jackson and Wilderness Systems are trying to naturally take market share in this area from competitors. A couple of competitors in mind would be Malibu (express or X-13, etc) and Ocean Kayak Trident series.

Ray Borbon

• Lingcod
  • Hook em and cook em
One more thing - If I was going to try and define "off shore fishing kayak" I would suggest that most people (not all of course) would rather do away with the very comfortable but high center of balance beach chair seats. Like in the Cuda for example..

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Thinking about this more ... I'd even punt on the surf-ability if it compromised the other features.  In fact, just substitute a bow design/volume that minimizes perling in the surf and I'll deal.  This would also help with perling in the troughs between swells.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
One more thing - If I was going to try and define "off shore fishing kayak" I would suggest that most people (not all of course) would rather do away with the very comfortable but high center of balance beach chair seats. Like in the Cuda for example..

+1.

-Allen

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
I agree with Ray. Particularly the part about surfing.  It's great if you land without the huli, but sacrificing any other area for that once or twice a day you catch a wave in, isn't worth it.  It just needs to make it to the beach, it doesn't need to make it there with a 10 point wave score.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I agree with Ray. Particularly the part about surfing.  It's great if you land without the huli, but sacrificing any other area for that once or twice a day you catch a wave in, isn't worth it.  It just needs to make it to the beach, it doesn't need to make it there with a 10 point wave score.

Hah!  We're all posting the same thought on surfing.  I posted what I did a couple posts back before readying Ray's post about it.

-Allen

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009

+1.

-Allen

This is very true.  I tried using the seat on the PA12 in the high up position on the ocean and it was not good.  The low position works, but I only take that boat on the ocean on really calm days.  My Revo13 is still my ocean boat.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson