Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:05:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: [KFM] New Offshore Kayak From Wilderness Systems  (Read 7299 times)

langcod

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
One more thing - If I was going to try and define "off shore fishing kayak" I would suggest that most people (not all of course) would rather do away with the very comfortable but high center of balance beach chair seats. Like in the Cuda for example..

This is something that I mentioned to some of the Jackson folks while I was at their dealer conference. I believe my quote was "If I'm going out in the ocean, I want my ass on the plastic."

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk

2015 ORC 3rd Place Winner

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Yea if you really want to surf and carve waves in kayak, a dedicated surf kayak seems to be the way to go anyways. Being able to punch through waves and having enough secondary stability when needed are important however IMO.

+1 for low C.O.G.
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

FireFly

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Being a noob still, I thought I would give my thoughts for other people that are new to this addicting thing they call kayak fishing..... I am very happy with my choice of the Outback for my first boat... I was fortuante enough that a fellow memeber let me borrow his extra Outback for a while and that is what determined my choice of boat (Thanks again Dana!) Until I am confortable with my confidence level on the salt or any body of water for that matter, I enjoy the extra stability verses the speed and agility of the Outback (its no fun being a nervous wreck while out fishing). I have only been out on the salt 3 times, ORC being my first, AOTD being my second and third. I have been on some other fresh water trips, my confidence level improves with every outing and I also learn a thing or two everytime I go out. I am still a little uneasy getting close to rocks and stuff in the chop, but that is my gut telling me that "if your not comfortable, don't do it!"...... I do see on the horizon a OK T13 under my butt within the next year though, I got to paddle one around and was very impressed with it......but my confidence and experience is first and foremost at this point......as for a huli......have not got to experience that yet, but now that I made the wise investment of a quality dry suit I may enjoy it....for a minute :o
Red Hobie Outback

2019 AOTD 5th place

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Interesting perspective guys.  Assuming there is an "offshore" or "west coast" category of fishing kayaks, which current models would you say fit that?  And what makes them fit that?

My own thoughts ... longer, narrower, lighter, a joy to paddle miles and miles from the launch and back.  Able to handle wind waves and swells in varied conditions, doesn't just pound over the waves when heading into them and doesn't get pushed around when in following seas.  Surfs well.

-Allen

I've only owned a mini-x and an outback.  Neither I don't think come to mind as the ideal "offshore" boat.  I think number one, when you are alone miles offshore over 1,000 ft of water, the ideal platform is one that you have confidence in.  I have that with my outback.  I've failed launching in big surf, I have fished successfully in 5 to 6 ft swells in March.  I am getting a better idea of its limits every time I go out.  To me my outback would be the perfect offshore kayak for me...if I carried an extra mirage drive and a rudder pin.  Your mileage will most certainly vary. 

It's stable enough I am not constantly needing to monitor for rogue swells.  It provides for me (emphasis on "me") options such as mounting downriggers and sails without potentially requiring added stability (ie amas). I have aspirations of maxing out its 400 pound weight capacity with fish. 

If offshore fishing success was a linear or greater function of distance traveled, I'd have to believe an Adventure or more traditional distance speed kayaks would have an edge.  But for me, offshore typically means less than 5 miles and I can easily do that in an outback.  One day I will try anther kayak and come to a WHOLE different conclusion I am sure!!!!  But bottom line, I have confidence in my outback.  Until another kayak instills greater confidence for performing, for me solo, miles offshore, my outback will be my offshore go to kayak.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

FireFly

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Interesting perspective guys.  Assuming there is an "offshore" or "west coast" category of fishing kayaks, which current models would you say fit that?  And what makes them fit that?

My own thoughts ... longer, narrower, lighter, a joy to paddle miles and miles from the launch and back.  Able to handle wind waves and swells in varied conditions, doesn't just pound over the waves when heading into them and doesn't get pushed around when in following seas.  Surfs well.

-Allen

I've only owned a mini-x and an outback.  Neither I don't think come to mind as the ideal "offshore" boat.  I think number one, when you are alone miles offshore over 1,000 ft of water, the ideal platform is one that you have confidence in.  I have that with my outback.  I've failed launching in big surf, I have fished successfully in 5 to 6 ft swells in March.  I am getting a better idea of its limits every time I go out.  To me my outback would be the perfect offshore kayak for me...if I carried an extra mirage drive and a rudder pin.  Your mileage will most certainly vary. 

It's stable enough I am not constantly needing to monitor for rogue swells.  It provides for me (emphasis on "me") options such as mounting downriggers and sails without potentially requiring added stability (ie amas). I have aspirations of maxing out its 400 pound weight capacity with fish. 

If offshore fishing success was a linear or greater function of distance traveled, I'd have to believe an Adventure or more traditional distance speed kayaks would have an edge.  But for me, offshore typically means less than 5 miles and I can easily do that in an outback.  One day I will try anther kayak and come to a WHOLE different conclusion I am sure!!!!  But bottom line, I have confidence in my outback.  Until another kayak instills greater confidence for performing, for me solo, miles offshore, my outback will be my offshore go to kayak.
I have aspirations of maxing out its 400 pound weight capacity with fish. :banjo:
Red Hobie Outback

2019 AOTD 5th place

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
My 9 and 11 year old daughters handle Huli's.  They aren't that big a deal, which is why most of us agree that surf handling isn't worth giving up for other stuff.

Skidplate

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
For me, the Revo is the ultimate offshore rig. It has all the features that people are looking for but doesn't seem to bastardize any of them. I think the only gripe would be that it isn't as fast as the Adventure, however it is still considered quite fast and trades that bit of glide for a healthy amount of stability.

I know that the mirage drive puts it into a different category that many manufacturers haven't wanted to enter, but still... I'd put it up there as the best all 'rounder.

Qualities I like:
  • Fast
  • Stable
  • 350# Capacity
  • Mirage Drive & paddle-able
My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
The only down side of the revo is the same short cockpit as the outback.
Now if hobie would put a decent bow it would be an even better boat.

Sent from my Motorola Flip phone.

Justin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Now if hobie would put a decent bow it would be an even better boat.

A Revo 15?
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

Skidplate

• Salmon

I'm 6'4" with long legs and I thought the exact same thing when I first got it. But I quickly grew accustomed and I wouldn't call it an issue, per se, but I would say that adding just an inch or so would be an improvement for us longer guys. But I don't know if that's reasonable in a production boat, since taller people are the minority.

My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.

Ray Borbon

• Lingcod
  • Hook em and cook em
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
The Hobie Mirage kayaks are not in the same price range and therefore some people will not view them as the main competitor of the new Jackson and Wilderness Systems developments. While the Hobies have their fanatic following and people get very sensitive about criticizing those boats, I still have to say that they are not reliable enough for me to consider taking farther than I can swim from shore. Especially after hearing about several cracked hulls (including one which I was witness to) as well as broken arms on the Mirage Drive. Frankly speaking fishing "hands free" is not a big selling item for me as I find fishing quite easy with a paddle boat, but I am not entirely dismissive of the idea at all. Back to the point, since the Mirage driven boats cost almost double the amount of a paddle boat many manufacturers may not see them as their main competitor in the market.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 04:48:28 PM by Ray Borbon »

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
The Hobie Mirage kayaks are not in the same price range and therefore some people will not view them as the main competitor of the new Jackson and Wilderness Systems developments. While the Hobies have their fanatic following and people get very sensitive about criticizing those boats, I still have to say that they are not reliable enough for me to consider taking farther than I can swim from shore. Especially after hearing about several cracked hulls (including one which I was witness to), broken arms on the Mirage Drive. Frankly speaking fishing "hands free" is not a big selling item for me as I find fishing quite easy with a paddle boat, but I am not entirely dismissive of the idea at all. Back to the point, since the Mirage driven boats cost almost double the amount of a paddle boat many manufacturers may not see them as their main competitor in the market.

Agree with most of this except the very last part.  The fact that Mirage driven boats, even at double the cost, are taking away butts that would otherwise be in paddle boats, means they are in fact, competition.  An interesting question ... could one build a paddle kayak at the cost of a Hobie Mirage kayak and compete with it?  What would it look like?

-Allen

Skidplate

• Salmon
The Hobie Mirage kayaks are not in the same price range and therefore some people will not view them as the main competitor of the new Jackson and Wilderness Systems developments.
If price is part of the equation, then I agree with you, but see my comment below.

While the Hobies have their fanatic following and people get very sensitive about criticizing those boats, I still have to say that they are not reliable enough for me to consider taking farther than I can swim from shore. Especially after hearing about several cracked hulls (including one which I was witness to) as well as broken arms on the Mirage Drive. Frankly speaking fishing "hands free" is not a big selling item for me as I find fishing quite easy with a paddle boat, but I am not entirely dismissive of the idea at all.
I'm not a Hobie fanatic and my first couple posts on the forum were somewhat negative towards my new boat (cockpit actually LOL), but they turn out a decent product. I find that keeping on top of your drift by using your legs has been very beneficial to me.

Back to the point, since the Mirage driven boats cost almost double the amount of a paddle boat many manufacturers may not see them as their main competitor in the market.
I respectfully disagree here.  Partly why I bought the Revo is because of its value. It comes with a paddle, a drive system, a seat, and a rudder. If you add those up, the price disparity is much closer. (The tough part is putting value to their drive system - I think that's one place where they gouge a bit)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 05:11:01 PM by Skidplate »

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

I have aspirations of maxing out its 400 pound weight capacity with fish. :banjo:

Like everything else, it takes planning.  I've dropped 40 pounds since I started kayaking 3 years ago!  That's 40 more pounds I can carry!  lol.  The best I have ever done is a 6 coho limit at roughly 75 pounds.  I loan a kayak to spot and he manages that weight with one fish!  Next year I am hitting the cohos with a proxy license (we can keep an extra limit for someone else) so I can keep 12 cohos and hopefully add a halibut or two.  Haha.   I love to "sport" fish. But putting high quality protein for the family in the freezer is and will always continue to be number one priority of fishing!!!

The Hobie Mirage kayaks are not in the same price range and therefore some people will not view them as the main competitor of the new Jackson and Wilderness Systems developments. While the Hobies have their fanatic following and people get very sensitive about criticizing those boats, I still have to say that they are not reliable enough for me to consider taking farther than I can swim from shore. Especially after hearing about several cracked hulls (including one which I was witness to) as well as broken arms on the Mirage Drive. Frankly speaking fishing "hands free" is not a big selling item for me as I find fishing quite easy with a paddle boat, but I am not entirely dismissive of the idea at all. Back to the point, since the Mirage driven boats cost almost double the amount of a paddle boat many manufacturers may not see them as their main competitor in the market.

I'd agree about the cost.  Especially since I also agree that solo 10 miles out, I would most definitely carry an extra mirage drive as the paddle is not meant for  ten mile trip in an outback.  That's even more additional costs.  I'm just lucky I happen to own a second not as often used outback.  But there better be some AMAZING innovation for me to switch to a non mirage kayak!!!  So put me in the category of "the mirage drive is worth the xtra price."

The outback is one of the worst examples among the Hobies, but I find the "no paddle propulsion"  highly beneficial in ability to travel for "greater length of time" due to using larger leg muscles and the mirage drive continuously pulls you through the water unlike the start/stop motion of a paddled kayak in strong wind (which is MOST of the time offshore).  I notice it because my paddle kayak is a barge...the mini-x.  Maybe other paddle kayaks with better glide is more immune to the winds effects. 
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010

I would absolutely rely on any of my kayaks on an offshore solo trip. Be it my Trident or my adventure. I think you are taking about my cracked hull attempted sinking of my old Adventure. I have to completely own that one. It was not the boats fault, the crack leaked for almost a solid year and I kept just trying to patch it together.
Add the fact that the Adventure paddles better than most non Hobies make it very reliable.

anything