Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:19:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: KayakFishingMagazine.net articles  (Read 14303 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Who likes Bread and Butter?  Who likes toast and jam?

Your bread and butter may be LMB, Stripers, or RF and lings, but take a look at what some others consider their "regular" fish from the Kayak.  Out today, new issue  KFM Bread and Butter issue.  Hope you enjoy it!!  Let us know, and sign up with your email address to get on our newsletter list!

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/home/recent-issues/archive/view/listid-3-main/mailid-38-kayak-fishing-magazine-thanksgiving-bread-and-butter.html

Allen and Allen

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
A few recent Editor Reviews have been added in days past.  Had a chance to play with the New Wildy Phase 3 Air Pro seat:

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/kayak-seats-and-cushions/1543-phase-3-air-pro-by-wilderness-systems.html

And gave some Sea Sucker Vacuum Mounts a trial run:

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/kayak-mounting-accessories/1540-sea-sucker-mounts.html
Blog/Photo Dump

Editor, The Milkcrate, Kayak Angler Lifestyle.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Panama Kayak Fishing - Open For Business.

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/articles/102-current-issue-featured-articles-on-kayak-fishing/1558-panama-kayak-fishing-open-for-business.html

I've been looking at doing a trip with Hennie, possibly this May, if anyone is interested.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
It's almost spring, which makes it a good time to do a little spring cleaning on your kayak. Here are a few tips to keep your kayak looking clean and in good working order.

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/articles/102-current-issue-featured-articles-on-kayak-fishing/1574-cleaning-your-fishing-kayak.html

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
"Best Available Science", it's an often used buzzword in fisheries affairs these days. But things are not often as they seem. Check the "facts" and get involved. The kayak fishing community at NorthWestKayakAnglers.com did just that, and the results were surprising.

I used the recent 4B fight as the discussion point.   >:D

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/articles/334-fisheries-affairs/1575-qbad-scienceq-constrains-my-purpose-qgood-scienceq-facilitates-it.html

-Allen

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Read the article earlier this morning, nodding my head in agreement throughout. We expect those engaged in the regulatory processes to rely on sound science, at our peril.  Sometimes the data are not what they appear. Sometimes the data are phony. Back to the old adage: question authority.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Read the article earlier this morning, nodding my head in agreement throughout. We expect those engaged in the regulatory processes to rely on sound science, at our peril.  Sometimes the data are not what they appear. Sometimes the data are phony. Back to the old adage: question authority.

The scary part is that this is nothing new.  I've experienced this in many ways.

1)  Quoting "science" that hasn't been published in a peer reviewed medium.  Should that qualify as science?
2)  Quoting "science" that is simulation based and incomplete at that.  For instance, not exploring all possible "states of space", rather focusing on one or two states that are based on a contrived set of assumption with the goal of support a singular argument.
3)  Quoting "science" that is out of context.
4)  Completely ignoring competing science.
5)  And on and on and on ....

-Allen

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Great write up, Allen. Have there been other Groups like ours doing similar things?

Love the subtle call to action at the end, too.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Great write up, Allen. Have there been other Groups like ours doing similar things?

Love the subtle call to action at the end, too.

There are a few here and there.  I'd love to hear of more though.

-Allen

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I think it's important to point out that WDFW's studies are not the "bad science" here.   Rather, the special interest group, World Fish Conservancy, however is guilty of "bad science" by misrepresenting the data in a press release.   While I think this distinction is for the most part clear in the article, throwing out terms like "bad science" and "bad data" calls into question an otherwise valid survey/study which is unwarranted.   
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I think it's important to point out that WDFW's studies are not the "bad science" here.   Rather, the special interest group, World Fish Conservancy, however is guilty of "bad science" by misrepresenting the data in a press release.   While I think this distinction is for the most part clear in the article, throwing out terms like "bad science" and "bad data" calls into question an otherwise valid survey/study which is unwarranted.

That data hadn't even been reviewed and released yet.  So yes, I consider it bad science/data.  Add to the fact that it was used way out of context.  But I get what you're saying.  You should have seen drafts 1 and 2 of the article.  I had to work hard to not come off sounding like a cranky old man.  I mean shit, the Jade himself was the one pushing the hardest for to revise.  That's got to tell you something.

-Allen

anything