Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 10:56:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[Today at 09:27:35 AM]

[Today at 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:58:56 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Salmon Scraps  (Read 8432 times)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I usually throw them into the smoker, and when I say usually I mean on the one chinook I caught last year :) Don't marinade them for too long though. The thinner pieces turn into a yummy salmon jerky. Are you going to smoke an of your fish?

Noah I just saw your question. I love smoking salmon, but I can't bring myself to smoke a springer. The fillet quality is more grill or oven worthy IMO. I smoke pinks, sockeye, and mid/late fall kings.

When you get an extra one try it. Smoking fish does make poorer quality fish edible through taste enhancement and firming the meat up. But as you might suspect, the better the quality of your fish, the better the smoked product quality in my experience.

I agree the difference between a frozen fillet of pinks vs chinook cooked with light seasoning  is MUCH greater than the difference between those same fillets smoked. But the fattier chinook will still be a much better product in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Make some salmon sausage.

I tried some a couple weeks ago....not bad.  I need to tweek my recipe though
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I always get a chuckle out of the I won't smoke a springer crew.  High quality fish produces high quality finished product regardless of the cooking technique.  Thats like saying I won't eat a Kobe beef hamburger.    I'm smoking springers right now and I think its about the highest level of craft you can apply to such a quality piece of fish.    IMO, most people do springers more of a injustice with some crap marinade followed by lemon slices and a solid overcooking on ye olde gas grill. If its not eaten fresh then most of my springers go in the smoker or the canner (or both). Quality in, Quality out.

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I always get a chuckle out of the I won't smoke a springer crew.  High quality fish produces high quality finished product regardless of the cooking technique.  Thats like saying I won't eat a Kobe beef hamburger.    I'm smoking springers right now and I think its about the highest level of craft you can apply to such a quality piece of fish.    IMO, most people do springers more of a injustice with some crap marinade followed by lemon slices and a solid overcooking on ye olde gas grill. If its not eaten fresh then most of my springers go in the smoker or the canner (or both). Quality in, Quality out.

I see your point. But I don't smoke my Springers because I feel smoked fish is inferior to other types of cooked fish. Don't get me wrong, I love me some smoked salmon. I don't smoke my Springers because I personally enjoy a cedar planked fillet on the BBQ or my personal blackened salmon recipe more than I enjoy smoked salmon in general.
Of course, I've never actually smoked Springers (only fall salmon), maybe I'll smoke my next one :)
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

Romanian Redneck

• Sturgeon
For dinner I used Spot's idea as my base and then added a few things.

-prepare steamed rice or a side of your choice
-Heat a wok on medium/high heat.
-sauté a few slivers of sweet onion in sesame oil along with a diced clove of garlic. (I wish I had a red pepper and maybe some jalapeño to dice and add)
-spread salmon scraps on a plate and give them a good dusting of fine course sea salt and ground black pepper
-when onion is slightly browned, add the salmon scraps.
-spread salmon evenly in the wok and flip once to sear both sides. Fish should only be in the wok for only a few minutes to avoid over cooking.
-lay rice in a bowl, place salmon and onion mixture over the rice. Dust generously with sesame seed. I added a bit of sweet chili sauce over the rice for a bit of a kick.

Simple, but oh man...

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 06:37:36 PM by Romanian Redneck »
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012

-sauté a few slivers of sweet onion in sesame oil along with a diced clove of garlic. (I wish I had a red pepper and maybe some jalapeño to dice and add)
-spread salmon scraps on a plate and give them a good dusting of fine course sea salt and ground black pepper
-spread salmon evenly in the wok and flip once to sear both sides. Fish should only be in the wok for only a few minutes to avoid over cooking.
-lay rice in a bowl, place salmon and onion mixture over the rice. Dust generously with sesame seed. I added a bit of sweet chili sauce over the rice for a bit of a kick.

Simple, but oh man...

full marks!
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

Simple, but oh man...

Nice!  Looks AWESOME!  for thin piece like that I think a couple of minutes per side is a LOT.  I wonder when you were doing it, it wasn't more than a minute per side if that.  Do you recall if you timed it or guessed?  I guess I am just curious becasue I am a person who doesn't follow recipes including the timing and it always seems to me it took 10 minutes to cook something that really only took two.  I suppose with such fast cooking, it depends a bit on if the fish came right our of the frig or was closer to room temp and whether it was med or hot heat....whatever temp that may be.   

Definitely going to try a version of this!  Looks YUMMY!
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Romanian Redneck

• Sturgeon

Simple, but oh man...

Nice!  Looks AWESOME!  for thin piece like that I think a couple of minutes per side is a LOT.  I wonder when you were doing it, it wasn't more than a minute per side if that.  Do you recall if you timed it or guessed?  I guess I am just curious becasue I am a person who doesn't follow recipes including the timing and it always seems to me it took 10 minutes to cook something that really only took two.  I suppose with such fast cooking, it depends a bit on if the fish came right our of the frig or was closer to room temp and whether it was med or hot heat....whatever temp that may be.   

Definitely going to try a version of this!  Looks YUMMY!

Sorry I probably wasn't very clear in the directions. By "a few minutes" I meant a total of a few minutes (3 max) in the wok. On medium/high heat in a decent wok, you really don't need more than a minute or a minute and a half per side. You still want the fish juicy not dry.
RR's Channel         

- Jeff Foxworthy

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Daaaaymn that looks good!  I'll have to try that.
Nice twist!

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

islandson671

• Heroes On The Water NWest
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
I usually make a quick bowl of Poke' for the wife, but sometimes give it a light chop and season it up to make a salmon patty burger

Dino Abulencia
HOW-NWest

dberd

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: May 2011

I see your point. But I don't smoke my Springers because I feel smoked fish is inferior to other types of cooked fish. Don't get me wrong, I love me some smoked salmon. I don't smoke my Springers because I personally enjoy a cedar planked fillet on the BBQ or my personal blackened salmon recipe more than I enjoy smoked salmon in general.
Of course, I've never actually smoked Springers (only fall salmon), maybe I'll smoke my next one :)
Both points are correct for me..We love grilling salmon so much that cost effectiveness says vacuum pak 1 lb packages for our once a week fish nite. Make it last!
That being said ,I know someone who always smokes their springers,and it is the best thing EVER! It disappears like magic.

On the superstition side...this is the second year I said I would smoke the NEXT ONE. ...haven't got to smoke one yet  ;D
" History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man"  BOC

Kyle M

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I like to simmer the carcass in a cork bullion and then the meat is easy to remove for "salmon cakes" later on.

Romanian Redneck

• Sturgeon
The last of the scraps :(

Japanese somen stir fry with sweet and sour salmon

RR's Channel         

- Jeff Foxworthy

KEELHAULED

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
LOOKS! Delicious!
BentRod

Rockaway Beach Oregon

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net forever."
-Jacques Cousteau

• Date Registered: May 2012
We make salmon cakes, a' la crab cakes with the scrapings.  My wife will take those 10 to 1 over crab cakes.
Both gold and muck come out of the same shaft.  - Terry Prachett

anything