Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 04:14:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:58:56 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: It's that time of year - Chanterelle Mushrooms  (Read 5595 times)

NoYaks

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2014
The Chanterelle Mushroom is the Oregon State Mushroom. I find them in old growth forest with downed trees and moss carpeting. Once you've found one they are easy to spot. Beautiful golden color amidst the green, they are hard to miss and right now, with our recent rains, is a great time to hunt them. The photos are of some found a couple of days ago on the way to the coast from Salem, OR.

Google Chantrelle Mushrooms you'll get plenty of suggestions on where they grow, possibly close to your home.

No recipe included with the post; I like them with Elk back-strap or check out Halibut with Chanterelles and the golden mushroom soup at this site: http://honest-food.net/2009/08/31/chanterelles-and-the-sexiest-soup-ever/

FireFly

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Already started stocking my freezer ;D
Red Hobie Outback

2019 AOTD 5th place

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
They are delicious that is for sure. 

Justin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I've never picked any of those.  I don't even know if we have them on this side of the state.

I'm more of a Morel guy :)
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I see these several places where I hike. I have only a superficial knowledge of mushroom picking from BIO classes in college. Obviously I can research, but are there any local lookalikes that are dangerous? I'd love to take a bag of these home next time I'm out.

-lauren

NoYaks

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2014
There are a couple of look alike types. However those are easy to identify by checking certain traits and the traits are visible. Here is a good site to learn the differences. http://www.mushroom-appreciation.com/chanterelle-mushrooms.html
You'll read the author gives this good advice:
"My final disclaimer is that you should never eat a mushroom based solely on what you've learned online, including this page. Be sure to get some practice with a local expert, and never eat anything you can't positively identify!"

My advice would be to search Google; there may be a club or a group in your area.

I too hunt Morels (my favorite) http://www.mushroom-appreciation.com/morel-mushrooms.html in Nor-Cal and Southern Oregon; mostly around Howard Prairie and Hyatt Lake areas near Ashland, also near Grants Pass. The rugged pass from Medford over the hill towards Seiad Valley, CA is another favorite area. Haven't hunted there for several years as the old body won't put up with those hard to climb mountains.
I've not seen any Morels where I hunt chanterelles; not the right kind of trees or forest duff or something.

People guard their Morel hunting grounds as they are worth quite a bit and they are easy to sell.

Several great eating mushroom species here in Oregon.

uplandsandpiper

If anyone wants to go out shroom hunting in the Vancouver/PDX area let me know and I'd be happy to teach you how to identify chanterelles, lobsters, and other edible as well as point out some key characteristics of dangerous ones.

I have been picking and cultivating mushrooms for years and have completed an intensive graduate level course on mycology. The only reason your liver would fail after going mushroom picking with me is because I made you drink too much beer.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
If anyone wants to go out shroom hunting in the Vancouver/PDX area let me know and I'd be happy to teach you how to identify chanterelles, lobsters, and other edible as well as point out some key characteristics of dangerous ones.

I have been picking and cultivating mushrooms for years and have completed an intensive graduate level course on mycology. The only reason your liver would fail after going mushroom picking with me is because I made you drink too much beer.

So... you're a self-professed koke addict who cultivates mushrooms? Now I know how you have so much time to fish!

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008

That sounds interesting.  I have taken Fungal Biology in graduate school, but that was many, many years ago.  I would love to take you up on the offer sometime and will even bring the beer.

Skidplate

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
I'd love to get in on the hunt as well. I've found chanterelles on multiple occasions but never trusted myself to take them home. The false gills on the stem are a big indicator- correct?
My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.

uplandsandpiper

Just let me know when and where you want to go. I have my best luck in 30-50 year old Douglas Fir stands as that is the primary species of tree that most of our edible mycorhizal fungi form a symbiotic relationship (including chanterelles). We are pushing past lobster mushroom season but if you are really into it you should bring along a rake as this is the best time of year to find hypogeous species like Black and White Truffles.

Sinker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Count me in!  I can bring my half assed truffle dog.  She can only scent ripe fruit tho.  I thought that did not start till January?
I would much rather be up a creek without a paddle than down one.

uplandsandpiper

Count me in!  I can bring my half assed truffle dog.  She can only scent ripe fruit tho.  I thought that did not start till January?

Starts earlier on the coast than inland.

Deluxeharley

• Lingcod
  • "Live like Ron"
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
Count me in as well. I have always wanted to know more about this. Let me know where and when......
My New Motto is.... "Live like Ron"

Jammer

• KayakFishingOregon.com
  • Sturgeon
  • Kayak Fishing Oregon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Me too Tyler. I'm interested in joining in.
• Stohlquist • Team Daiwa • Yakima Bait Company

2015 Hobie Fishing Team "Top Gun"
2012 Hobie Worlds Team USA - 19th place
2012 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2010 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place
2010 Cape Dis. Dungie Tourney - 1st place

KAYAK FISHING OREGON
www.youtube.com/jmrischer