Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:47:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Pacific City Mon 04/19?  (Read 3426 times)

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Anybody heading out tomorrow? Forecast looks good.

I plan on launching around 8.30 myself.

YakOnDaSea

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
YES! I've never done offshore yet but from my limited knowledge it would seem like conditions should be ideal. Do you know the status of parking at Pacific City? Is parking allowed on the beach? Are parking permits required?

thanks!

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
I'm watching.   The fog was pretty thick this morning and stayed around until past 10am.   
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

alpalmer

• Salmon
YES! I've never done offshore yet but from my limited knowledge it would seem like conditions should be ideal. Do you know the status of parking at Pacific City? Is parking allowed on the beach? Are parking permits required?

thanks!
I parked on the beach this past Thursday.  I have the annual pass  so had it hanging from the mirror.    Also, place a placard that reads "Kayak launching/retrieval vehicle".  Not sure if people are checking permits down on the beach.
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
--Edward Abbey--

YakOnDaSea

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021

thanks!
I parked on the beach this past Thursday.  I have the annual pass  so had it hanging from the mirror.    Also, place a placard that reads "Kayak launching/retrieval vehicle".  Not sure if people are checking permits down on the beach.

Great! thanks for the info.

T Coastal

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2019
Parking is allowed on the beach for all boat launching activities. We'll be down there on the water hopefully by 7.
2020 Hobie Outback
2018 Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Dungydog

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Yesterday's fog scared me away. This morning it looks beautiful out there and I see 3-4 yakkers pedaling out now. It's going to be torture watching the webcams all day.

Good luck to those who go and post reports for us chumps.

-Craig
-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

alpalmer

• Salmon
The ocean was absolutely beautiful today.   MagicSeaweed was spot on.   No fog unlike yesterday.  I got on the webcam at 6am then again a 6:30 and nothing.  Picked up three decent black rockfish right away, then hit a lull when nothing was biting, then all of a sudden they were back.  Kept three more then went after some ling cod but no love for me today.   Only two shorties.   On sighting of a whale on the west side of the rock.   Talked to a few people who did much better further out, bigger lings and rock fish.

Ocean conditions only got better toward noon, flat and glassy.   I didn't want to come in it was so nice to just sit out there.   Nothing really notable with my fish so no pictures,  just the typical ones that are caught out there.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 03:40:19 PM by alpalmer »
--Edward Abbey--

T Coastal

• Lingcod
We launched about 7, you couldn't feel any wind and could barely see wind waves, that all stopped around 9 or 10. Ocean turned to glass and was gorgeous. My buddy and I didn't waste much time around the rock and headed north quite a ways. 5 drops and we both had 2 lings each. I only got pictures of mine.  Had to head back close to the rock to find black rockfish biters. They seemed to be sparse, only picking up one here and there and ended one short of a limit. We caught several legal sized Cabezon,  if only it was in season  >:( my bud caught one that was easily 27". Massive head on that thing! Several undersized lings and a yelloweye all went back in the water too. All in all a great first day out this year.

Lings measured out at 24" and 29" Lancer jigs were the key for me!
2020 Hobie Outback

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
As others said, the ocean was very flat today. We launched around 8.45 and first dropped off a crab pot. For the first 30 min we had a hard time finding fish but when we found them it was non stop action. Probably the best ocean fishing I have ever seen, with both rockfish and lingcod being caught. It was great to see my wife, who until today never caught anything bigger than a rockfish, catch her first two keeper lingcods. She obviously was very excited.
I saw the strangest things on my fishfinder (and should have taken some pictures). It was like kayaking above the kingdom of Atlantis...large schools of fish with lines shooting in all directions. These were not the typical bait fish balls or smaller schools of rockfish but something i had never seen before. Every time when the lure hit that area it was rockfish of lingcod on.

So fishing was great but after some time it was time to call it a day.

Time to pull the crab pot. That is when things started to go south. The crab pot did not feel record-heavy bot not light either. I was really surprised to see that I ONLY had females and undersized males in it. Not a single keeper crab for some pretty hard effort....I don't think i ever had less than 10 keepers at Pacific City, so going home without crab was surprising and disappointing. While approaching the beach I saw that the surf had become quite a lot higher than when we left (even though the ocean was still flat) and for the first time ever (after almost a decade of kayak fishing) I found myself next to my kayak when a wave came from behind and spun me around and flipped me. I felt the power of the wave pull my glasses from my face but was too late to grab them....I needed new glasses anyway so not too much harm done. For years I wondered if the Velcro strips of my Austin Kayak milk crate buddy would be strong enough to keep the the lid closed in case the kayak went upside down. Today I found out and it was not the answer i was hoping for. Initially i though i only lost some small gear that  I never use anyway but later i realized that my prescription sunglasses were in there (and had fallen out) as well. That sucked. My wife, who came in after me, also got flipped in the surf. Two people who came in shortly after us also both flipped their kayak. So not the best way to end a great day, but still a great day! 

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I had a similar "yard sale" landing at PC at low tide with some decent size surf and lost my glasses as well. One of the problems was not being able to see what was coming up behind me. Next time with poor conditions I tried coming in backwards. Just turned the kayak around just outside the surf and paddled in backward. It was much easier to push through the waves and keep the boat straight much like when heading out. It was slower and not necessary if conditions are better, but an option.
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
Thanks for the feedback. I never really looked at tides when ocean fishing but will surely do moving forward.
I came in around 1 pm, so not exactly at low tide but getting close to it.

Mmm, paddling in backwards...i should try that one day to see how it works.

T Coastal

• Lingcod
Sounds like PC claimed too much gear yesterday :( Sorry for everyones losses! It only took me one flip before I changed how I managed my gear out there so now everything get strapped in for every landing. I ditched the milk crate long ago as it's unnecessary bulk and worrysome too about it opening during a roll. Sounds like the surf picked up fast! I think we were off the water by noon. I had a feeling it was gonna get big fast. 
2020 Hobie Outback

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
Ditching the milk crate all together when going out on the ocean is probably indeed the best thing to do. I will reorganize my stuff prior to the next trip and leave the crate at home.

T Coastal

• Lingcod
Ditching the milk crate all together when going out on the ocean is probably indeed the best thing to do. I will reorganize my stuff prior to the next trip and leave the crate at home.

I took some advice from Mojo about my tackle management system in the ocean a long time ago. I was taking way too much gear for bottomfish  ;) Even during salmon season (Which looks like it'll be amazing this year) It's only one extra small box and a couple flashers.
2020 Hobie Outback

anything