Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:33:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Kayak Security  (Read 2394 times)

Mzungu19

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
What security measure do you use when you need to leave your kayak unattended for any amount of time on your vehicle? I would like the opportunity to spend multiple days on the coast but I’m concerned about leaving it in a motel parking lot, or even at a restaurant when I can’t see it. Appreciate any ideas or thoughts.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Barrel locks for your rack and a bike cable lock thru the scuppers.

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I use HD Masterlock python cable locks through the scupper holes or drive hole and around the rack.  By no means is it fool proof but I think it cuts down on spur of the moment opportunists.    :police:

As additional protection to the cables, there are fairly inexpensive anti-theft bicycle/motorcycle wireless alarms that are set off by vibration/motion that add noise as an additional deterrent. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 03:56:09 PM by YakHunter »
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
I just have a chain with a master padlock through the scuppers and then through the loops in the back of my pickup. I try to make it hard to see the lock.  I can do two kayaks in the bed of my pickup. So far, so good.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Long cable lock with a master lock I can lock 4 tacks and my crab traps on the trailer.
 HOW trailer one master snake lock through all 8 yaks, their seats, and around the custom rack. Another snake lock through the removable gear  boxes.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Lutefisk

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I would be much more comfortable sleeping in a tent at a campground, knowing that my kayak was close by, than to stay in a motel and have my kayak out of sight.

HKLBRY

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Apr 2021
I use both a Kanulock to strap down our kayaks to the bars and also use a 15' cable and lock through the scuppers.  The cable and lock comes with us in case we need to secure them during an outing.  Kanulocks have 2 aircraft cables inside the strap to help slow down a thief.  They come in several different lengths, if you are considering them make sure you get a long enough set.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
The free method would be to bring your kayak inside your motel/hotel room with you. Be sure to get a ground floor room though.

Otherwise, what I do is thread one or two fat cable locks through my scupper holes and around my truck rack.  I make the lock and cable hard to reach with any form of bolt or cable cutters.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

HuyFishin

• Perch
  • Huyfishin Youtube page.
  • Date Registered: May 2020
I just use pedal bike locks.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
When I have to I use that hi-vis yellow chain they sell at home despot. If the tweakers only have bolt cutters at least they have to climb your rig a little to get enough leverage. Realistically, amid a national rash of catalytic converter thefts and in areas where bike theft is rampant, there isn't shit you can do but sleep with one eye open and be vigilant. The proliferation of cheap and powerful battery operated reciprocating saws and angle grinders will quickly defeat most any measure we are willing to take. Best bet is to be redundant and try to make them make as much noise as possible. Run separate chains and locks through multiple scuppers.

Other things you can do:

If you see/hear of a reported kayak theft make a mental note or jot down the details. If you see a "too good to be true" deal that matches the description on craigslist/offerup/FBmarketplace then notify the OP.

Also, keep a record of your own hull id/serial number so you can prove that any alleged stolen property is yours when matched with a police report.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 02:38:28 PM by Ling Banger »

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
keep a record of your own hull id/serial number so you can prove that any alleged stolen property is yours when matched with a police report.
Excellent advice.  I need to go read that off my Outback now.  It was not on my original receipt.

Dave

Take a picture of the hull id/serial number with your phone.  That way you will have a record with you at all times.  I rub a little paint into the numbers to make them show up better. 
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

Mzungu19

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
Thank you all for the fantastic information. I’ll take a little of everyone’s good advice and be as well protected as possible. If it happens, at least I’ll know I did my due diligence in preventing it. Thanks again all!

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
You don't have a car alarm?  I can't picture a would-be thief managing to cut a cable and then remove a kayak without the alarm going off.

Guides come to the coast all the time and park their rigs at motels for extended stays.  Find a guide and ask them what they do to deter theft and vandalism.

By the way, the coast isn't known for thefts like this.  That's more of a big city problem than a problem in the small, rural, coastal towns.  I'd still lock my kayak to the rack/trailer/whatever, but I wouldn't stay awake all night guarding it.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
Some Smith&Wesson stickers on the yak might help.

I use the long cable lock wrapped through the scuppers and around the locked Thule bars.

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
  • A bad day of fishing is still better than a good d
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Cable lock through the grab handles, and Thule Locking straps, and a Glock 27. 
US Army & Army National Guard Veteran of 34 years
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin

anything