Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:17:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:54:47 PM]

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: J-rack for heavy fishing kayaks.  (Read 1538 times)

HuyFishin

• Perch
  • Huyfishin Youtube page.
  • Date Registered: May 2020
Hey everyone. I'm looking for J-racks with the highest amount of weight capacity.

So far most major brands will be about 75-80lb max. The highest weight capacity I can find is the RhinoRack Fixed s510 which has a max capacity of 99lb.

Just wondering if you guys know if we have any other choices.
I do prefer the other cradle styles but I need to fit two large yaks on my jeep so I would like J-style to help save some space.

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
I'd go with a trailer if you need to move two large kayaks.  The are a couple problems with J-Racks and big yaks.  The first is getting them up top, if there are two of you that aren't height challenged then it might be OK.  The other thing to remember is if you kayaks are 34+ inches wide then the top side of the kayak is nearly 3 feet above the roof of your vehicle, which is already high, which makes them tough to handle without dropping them while you are trying to strap them on, and almost impossible if you are trying to do it alone.

The other thing to look at is what the weight capacity of your roof rack is.  Most are around 150 lbs so if you are trying to put two 80-100 lb kayaks up there you will be well over the limit.

I use a Rhino Rack T-Load to help me get my Hobie Pro Angler up on top of my car () and if I need to bring both the PA and the Outback then I have a small trailer that I use.  This is the trailer I have: https://www.sylvansport.com/go-easy-kayak-trailer/.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 02:32:51 PM by kredden »

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
A few years back someone was using J-racks with a large kayak and the narrow-ish hook of the "J" was deforming their hull.  On top of everything kredden has mentioned, think about fit, too, if you still decide to go with a J-rack.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

HKLBRY

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Apr 2021
Add some longer cross bars to your current rack and haul them flat either just on the bar or in cradles?  I modified my lumber rack to fit my wider kayaks on top.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 10:46:07 AM by HKLBRY »

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
They are a bit pricey, but the Thule Hulivators are perfect for two big Kayaks. Can easily get my outback and revo on both my truck with ladder racks that the better halfs mid size SUV. Buying was painful but I love them
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
I ran a Jackson Big Tuna tandem yak on the Excursion roof.  Sometimes quite a challenge, especially when the launch parking forced a canted parking spot.  I’d get the dang thin on top.  Mostly.  Then it’d slide off the side.  That’s with the yak holding bases.

That kayak’s gone now and I run my Outback and a Jackson Kraken on Hullivators.  Pricey, and they challenge the Thule bar mounts, which I had to replace after 15 years while on a kayak camping trip to Idaho.  But I wouldn’t change them.

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Someone on Portland Craigslist was selling a pair of hullivatora...I guess they are hard to come by these days due to limited stock.

As others have aluded I would avoid j-hooks for the big kayaks if you can. They are wide enough plus the different bottom contours result in the top of the j not hitting the keel right or even being shorter than the keel so the support is bad.  Plus they are so tall on their side they just act like a huge sail.

HuyFishin

• Perch
  • Huyfishin Youtube page.
  • Date Registered: May 2020
I actually just ended up ordering the malone mega wings. After talking to my rep he showed me that the mega wings can be mounted very far out to the sides of my rack. Once I have it installed with the kayaks on the roof i'll show everyone!

anything