Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:51:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: John Day River  (Read 1590 times)

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Has anyone on here ever kayaked up the John Day River from the mouth to the narrows?

Is this doable in the summer?
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I haven’t done it, but It would be a really long run.  Most of ten miles. Another option to kayak the upper end is to put in at Biglow canyon.  It is above Albert Philippi Park.  You can get there from Wasco or Rufus.  Again I haven’t been on the road, but I was told it isn’t bad.  The road ends at a primitive park right on the river’s edge.  I have been planning to give that launch a try for a while now, just haven’t quite got it done.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

Aervax

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Feb 2019
I fish that area pretty routinely, sometimes from my kayak and others from my drift boat with an 8hp OB.  The answer to your question really depends on wind speed and flows coming down the JDR.  High flow creates strong current from the start of the narrows for 3 miles to the falls. Launching from Bigelow I have tried kayaking up it in the spring with flows around 5000 cfs and the wind at my back. I made it about ⅔ of the way to the falls with extraordinary effort, for me anyway.  Of course, I was bass fishing too which ate up more time and energy.

Getting back to my truck while tired out and facing 20mph headwind proved still be doable with significant effort. That was paddling for 2 miles.  A 20 mile roundtrip out of LePage could put you into the wee hours of the morning at take out.  You would have to check wind forecast in advance and be choosy about the day you go based on wind speed and direction. 

Keep in mind I am paddling a sit inside tandemn, so wind effects my ride more than an SOT.  My mode of propulsion is paddle only as well.

Late in the summer flows are between 100 and 300 cfs.  Flow is a non issue then.  On a calm day you could launch out of Le Page and keep an eye on your watch and turn around when the time is up, see how far you get.  It is beautiful wide open spartan country.  The views are definitely worth the trip. 

I will be launching out of Bigelow at least a couple times in May.  I would gladly have a fishing partner or 2 if you want to coordinate dates and caravan out there.  I fish on weekdays only to avoid the crowds and to reserve weekends for other outdoor adventures with my wife. 

The narrows have been a #$*! - show even on weekdays when the weather is decent.  Weekend crowds are unbearable in there in my solitude spoiled opinion.  If you can do it on a weekday it is strongly recommended. 

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014

I will be launching out of Bigelow at least a couple times in May.  I would gladly have a fishing partner or 2 if you want to coordinate dates and caravan out there.  I fish on weekdays only to avoid the crowds and to reserve weekends for other outdoor adventures with my wife. 

Do you find the bass fishing better up higher in the canyon or is it similar all the way up?
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Aervax

• Krill
Unless the water temp is nearing 60 F below the falls smallmouth are going to be spread out throughout and below the narrows.  Turbidity in spring flows can present a challenge through there as well. I have not hit a hot bite in the narrows until it warms up.  They make me work for it with a fish here and there.  My better smallies have come from below the narrows in 10 feet+ of water when it is still below spawn temps.  In spite of my own experience a friend focuses on and occasionally catches some really nice largemouth up toward the back this time of year.  I have yet to catch one in that stretch.   My best guess based on past experience this time of year the water coming through the falls should still be closer to 55 than 60 F.  I have not been there yet this year to physically check, so it is a guess.  As that changes and things warm up in May the fishing should improve toward the back of the narrows. 

Aervax

• Krill
Fished below the falls in my drift boat yesterday.  Flows 4500 cfs.  Water temp 49 F at 0800.  Not a lot of fish were being caught.  We caught around 20 between us over a couple hours.  They were all small, max 1.5 pounds.  Anglers hiking the cliffs were reporting similar, at least the ones we talked to.  We moved on and scratched out a few more down lower and adjacent to deeper water.  Similar outcome.