Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:23:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Don't be that guy - Crab pot lines  (Read 3382 times)

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I'm hoping to be gentle here, because when I started crabbing I was kind of an idiot, too. I was also just a kid, but regardless...

Crabbing at Tillamook Bay was fairly busy Saturday, and 90% of the pots I saw were rigged to not get in people's way. Then there was the situation pictured.

This guy had literally 100ft. of floating rope (it was that cheap climbing rope stuff you can get at Harbor Freight and Wal-Mart) on his pots, completely deployed and unweighted, and his pots were in 12 feet of water. I was cruising through the mine field when, seemingly in the middle of nowhere, I went over his rope and it immediately fouled my mirage drive. This was complicated by the fact that I tried to shift into reverse, because it was in the middle of that that the rope got tangled, so my fins were in a configuration that did not allow me to lift my drive. That was my bad - lesson learned.

So, even though the current was moderate, I had an "oh sh!t!" moment as I prepared to have to cut the line or bail out depending on what happened next. As it turned out, I was able to get at my paddle and correct fast enough to avoid anything like that, and eventually I got the rope shook loose. Then it immediately hooked my rudder, and when I tried to pull it up it made it worse.

The guy came over as I was nearly out of the tangle, and I was prepared for a healthy confrontation, but he was completely chill about it, which was nice, except he didn't seem to grasp that he shouldn't have 100ft. of line out when he's in 12 feet of water. I fully admit that I should have been more careful and assumed that since I was 50ft. from the nearest float I was OK to cruise, so I have a part in this. Nonetheless:

Please don't be that guy. I've used cheap floating rope tons while crabbing. Just tie it off in a bundle so that an appropriate amount of line is out, say twice the depth you're fishing (obviously more if, for some reason, you're dropping in a high-current area). Better: tie off the extra and use line weights. They're not very expensive, or you can make them for almost free. Best: tie off the extra, use line weights, and use sinking line. It's a one-time purchase that will last nearly forever.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 02:23:11 PM by Captain Redbeard »

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Back in the days when there were no regulations for commercial or sport crab pot lines to be submerged below the buoy, I was doing 35 knots in my Bayliner in 1 foot white caps on my way to a goose hunt and out of no where my boat slowly comes to a halt. As I turned to the motor I see the V of a commercial crab pot line that snared my outboard motor shaft. Luckily I just raised the motor up and the line slid off. Returning from the hunt the next day on flat seas it was like you mentioned, a veritable MINE FIELD of commercial buoys everywhere that were hidden by the white caps the day before. And all running floating lines in those days.

Alaska now requires all sport and commercial shrimp and crab pots to have non-floating line at least for the portion that could become a floating navigation hazard to boats. You can either use lead line or put weights on it to keep it down.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
That sucks man! How was the rest of the outing? I’m nursing some serious pain or I would have tried to join ya. For you Tilly bay crabbers 50 ft of line and no weight on the pot in line with the rocks and your good 👍 .

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
That sucks man! How was the rest of the outing? I’m nursing some serious pain or I would have tried to join ya. For you Tilly bay crabbers 50 ft of line and no weight on the pot in line with the rocks and your good 👍 .

It was fun! Hoping to get some screengrabs off the gopro and make a post about it. Thank you for the advice!

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
You know those dull, bashed up junk bottomfish jigs taking up space in your tackle box or garage?  Be sure to take those crabbing with you.

When you come across a crab rope with 90% of it's line being a nav hazard, grab the line, spool up half of it, zip tie together and connect one or two of your junk jigs securely into the rope to sink it.

"Recycle, reduce, reuse."
 That's my motto.

No
No, it's not...

Actually it's:
"If you don't like it, don't give me the opportunity!!"
 :violent1:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

T Coastal

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2019
Being honest for a moment you are far too nice! A good sharp knife is what I would have used to get it untangled out of my mirage drive, especially if I am in a hurry! you get out of a potentially dangerous situation quickly and the owner of the pot learns a valuable lesson for the next time. Don't know how many ropes have been cut by my prop out in Netarts that are 50' away from the closest buoy. Glad it wasn't dangerous for ya!
2020 Hobie Outback
2018 Ocean Kayak Prowler 13