Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:47:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Tillamook Trifecta - Fish, Clams, Crabs - Trip report 5/1/2021  (Read 3442 times)

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
UPDATE - A video of this day is now available:

Big thanks to Mojo jojo and nobaddays! I would not have been as confident, successful, or safe without their advice.

I saw the mid-day minus tide and low wind for Tillamook Bay last weekend and got this idea that I should try to harvest clams, crabs, and fish all in one day, and then have a seafood feast the next day.

tl;dr It worked - pictures below.

I knew with a little friendly advice I should be able to find some clams, but I haven't had great success this time of year in the bay for crabs, and I didn't feel too confident catching fish at the jetty. I'd been out there once for one of the May Day tournaments (2nd place) but I hadn't been back since. Mrs. Redbeard was down for the challenge which is great because that allowed me to get two crab pots out there easily with the rest of the gear.

We launched with the outgoing tide and headed over to low-tide island first for clams. We've only harvested cockles one other time so this was pretty new to us. We had planned to harvest some gaper clams too, but finding the cockles was so fun we decided to just get our limits of those. As a bonus, you don't have to get filthy dirty to get a limit of cockles!

Then we rode the last of the outgoing tide out to the jetty and dropped our pots. While those were soaking we set about trying to figure out the fishing situation. Keeping it simple worked for us. My best bait of the day was small Gulp "shad" on a 1/2oz. head. I caught about 6 rockfish and only kept the biggest one, which was around 14". The fishfinder helped a bit, but mostly I just read the shoreline and water looking for anything that would disrupt the current.

We didn't end up getting any keeper crabs in that area, and after a short break on the eddy beach we rode the now incoming tide back in, dropped our pots off in a new location, and tried for some perch. No luck there, but we managed 2 keeper crabs on the next pull, and had a good time talking to Casey and Bullfrog, and a couple of other folks whose names I forgot (sorry!). Not long after that we called it a day.

There's two things I loved about this trip: first, it's a great way to harvest a bunch of seafood that I can then enjoy all week. Second, it's a great way to get out saltwater fishing without having to go out in the ocean. If the conditions or your skill set don't allow for it, the bay can be a great option. It's not without its risks: you must be prepared for immersion and learn to safely navigate the tidal exchange so you're not stuck out at the jetty.

We cooked the crab when we got home and processed the clams and fish the next day. For dinner we feasted on clam chowder, fish tacos, and crab. We tried fried cockles but as we were warned they're a bit chewy for that, however, they were excellent in the chowder.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 09:54:32 PM by Captain Redbeard »

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
excellent hat trick! 
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Excellent! I have been wanting to get my TI out there now that I have it back and hopfully do the clam/crab/fish in the morning when wind is low and get some good sailing in the afternoon.

How low of tide is needed to expose the sand bars in the middle of the bay (close to garibaldi/launch)?

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014

How low of tide is needed to expose the sand bars in the middle of the bay (close to garibaldi/launch)?

I have only been out there on a minus tide, but I think anywhere around 0 or minus would be ok.  The benefit of a lower minus tide is being able to get out early to clam and still ride the outgoing tide to the fishing/ crabbing area.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
That's some strong work there Cap'n!

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Glad it worked out, I’ll try to plan a newbie friendly Tillamook Bay triple catch day once I get a couple things done. Seasoned anglers will be welcome as well.  ;)

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Bullfrog

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Nov 2020
It was great to talk with you guys out there!  Well done on your seafood feast!

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
It was great to talk with you guys out there!  Well done on your seafood feast!

Thanks! Great to meet you - hope to see you on the water again soon.

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Well done! Sounds like a great day!
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Glad it worked out, I’ll try to plan a newbie friendly Tillamook Bay triple catch day once I get a couple things done. Seasoned anglers will be welcome as well.  ;)

End of the month looks like some big minus tides in the mid-morning - nice!

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Yeah I am eyeing Memorial Day weekend for being a good day to get out and enjoy the bay.   

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
The holiday weekend is shaping up to be a good chance to get out at Tillamook Bay, just watch the wind forecast, dress properly, and don't get outside your skillset.

I made a video of my day that has a few tips on the clamming and fishing and safety:

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
somebody needs to add a "like" button thing a ma jig. captain redbeard cool video thanks for doing that/sharing.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 11:26:11 PM by dampainter »

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Great job on the video.  Makes me want to get back out on Tillamook Bay.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

anything