Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 08:26:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:31:18 AM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Practice makes perfect  (Read 4236 times)

bad lattitude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I have a bunch of lofty goals, none of which, for various reasons, have worked out. I should, however, be getting my new semi-dry top in the mail today.

Since I have no rod holder, and no battery, fishing or installing my sonar are out for this weekend.

I guess there's nothing I want to try more than to find out exactly how much movement my boat allows me without tipping over. Bailing and recovery.

Anyone want to be my buddy tomorrow or Sunday?
None of us is as dumb as all of us.

girlzluvfishin

• Rockfish
  • Girlz Gettin Curlz
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
where do you want to go this weekend!  Me and my friend are going to be in the channel this weekend!  Trying out my new FF and anchor system!  Your welcome to join!

bad lattitude

• Lingcod
Well if I can't find someone to go with me in calm waters, I might launch out of Chinook Landing on the Columbia to practice huli and re-entry. It's big water and there will be lots of boats around in case I get into trouble. Better safe than sorry since I've only been in a kayak twice.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 10:53:16 AM by bad lattitude »

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I might launch out of Chinook Landing on the Columbia to practice huli and re-entry.

Please don't go out of Chinook onto the Columbia for trip #3.  Yes there will be lots of boats around, but they'll be busy. 

You'll have to deal with the following..
lots of boats
lots of chop
potential high winds
strong current

Not things you want to worry about while you're practicing for the first time.

Since I have no rod holder, and no battery, fishing or installing my sonar are out for this weekend.

Why do you need a rod holder to go fishing?  Isn't your T13 an angler edition?  You should at least have a couple flush mounted rod holders for trolling and a rod pod for storage.  It sounds like a few people will be fishing the Multnomah channel this weekend. 

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
I might launch out of Chinook Landing on the Columbia to practice huli and re-entry.

Please don't go out of Chinook onto the Columbia for trip #3.  Yes there will be lots of boats around, but they'll be busy. 

Brian

What he said but really, really LOUD. :o

I went for a drive this morning to take a look and yes, you'd have LOTS of company. OiiiYoiii! From below I-5 to well upstream of Government Island looked like a marina. Unbelievable!
 That would actually be ok except for the fact that the water was ripping and really choppy. Add the fact that many of those folk will be launching and landing at the marina and your not looking at a good place for huli practice :o

I'm planning to join GLF's crew and give the multnomah channel a shot. That sounds like a MUCH better idea. ;D  Got rod? Got reel? Got bait? (got hooks and line on the reel?)
Then your ready!

GLF: did you get my pm?
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

girlzluvfishin

• Rockfish
  • Girlz Gettin Curlz
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I did FFTW!!!!   :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:  Boy was that area where the channel and the Willy come together was a MESS!!!!!!!!   

bad lattitude

• Lingcod
I guess I did forget about the rod holders behind the seat. Maybe I'll give that a try.

Think I might try either Clackamette Park area or downtown under the bridges. Any interest?

bad lattitude

• Lingcod
Also might be able to sneak out Sunday, after church.

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006

Think I might try either Clackamette Park area

Man, I hate to keep shooting down your ideas, but Clackamette park is not such a good idea.

(I'm trying to be less negative, but I'm actually screaming at the top of my lungs)

I went by there yesterday and it looked like the cataracts on the Nile (the ducks were walking instead of swimming) :o

Downtown bridges or from Sellwood down would be a better idea. But that's jsut a suggestion. ::)

Boy was that area where the channel and the Willy come together was a MESS!!!!!!!!   

GLF: does that mean the M.C. was too much of a mess to paddle? Perhaps we could work out a shuttle through downtown? Just a thought.
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
GLF: does that mean the M.C. was too much of a mess to paddle? Perhaps we could work out a shuttle through downtown? Just a thought.

If you're near downtown tomorrow ~5pm, I can help with a shuttle as well...

Jay
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

Fishboy

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
You P-town area folks have a very nice community of kayakers willing to look out for each other. May you grow old and propser!

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I guess I did forget about the rod holders behind the seat. Maybe I'll give that a try.

Think I might try either Clackamette Park area or downtown under the bridges. Any interest?

Go out to Hagg Lake.  Practice your Huli, and then go get yourself a big fish.  ;D

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

bad lattitude

• Lingcod
Leaving for Hagg Lake in about an hour. Be there until 3.30.