Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:45:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 26, 2024, 08:38:44 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Lingcod  (Read 25496 times)

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I would be all for that in Oregon too.  I would see no problem with the max even being 36inches.  I would even support bumping up the lower limit too, maybe 26 or 28..  Anything in that window is a quality sized good eating fish. 

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
I would be all for that in Oregon too.  I would see no problem with the max even being 36inches.  I would even support bumping up the lower limit too, maybe 26 or 28..  Anything in that window is a quality sized good eating fish. 

You know that will never happen, it makes way too much sense....But we can do it ourselves, I'm gonna CPR all Lings and cabs this weekend and just keep a few blacks. Got way too much fish in my freezer already...
See ya on the water..
Roy

squidgirl

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
CBY.... I have some freezer space if ya need it. just got to come up here to use it. .. :laugh:
"Life is short lets go fishing"

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I raised my personal ling minimum to 26inches  and might just bump that to 28.  Under 26 they just don't seem to have the size (decent filets, I fish because I love to eat fish, and do, at least 3 times a week) to justify killing one. A "jumbo" black has about the same about of meat as a barely legal ling

Abking

• Lingcod
  • I put on the Gimme Shelter Tournament Series
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
I would support that slot limit down here too.  Killing big lings is mostly an ego stroke - the smaller ones do eat better, IMO.

Here's a few movies I made with some ling releases.  Hope you don't mind me cluttering the "big fish brag board" with my flicks, Al.   ;D

See you at Gimme Shelter

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Just recently caught my best ling at PC. Ended up being 14#, 36".
I too would be for some kind of limit on the high end.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 01:14:08 PM by yaknitup »

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

YakontheFly

• Clouser Meister
  • Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Speaking of throw back ling size....  Where do ya draw the line?
Do you go ahead and keep your first ever 25lb ling, and then release anything that size later?  

My personal thoughts, knowing what I know now...  36" seems the perfect size, so anything larger than 40 will be a CPR only, and perhaps an official length and weight with who ever is fishing with me...  The only other way, would be a World Record.

I prefer to keep smaller fish, they just taste better.  Tastiest Halibut I ever ate was a 12 lber last year on Montague..

That 44" Ling in the pictures Polepole listed above was too tough and stringy, despite not having worms...

Yep, those Golden Lings sure are attractive, but by far, the Blue ones are the best looking of the species.

YotF

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I guess I'll have to catch and keep one bigger than 22.25" before I plan to release the 'big' ones  ;D ;D ;D
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

steelheadr

• Sturgeon
  • Peterberger Adventures
When going after lingzilla and his friends, would you recommend going barbless or pinching down the barb? I've been struggling lately with removing barbed hooks without taking too much time or overly stressing the fish.

Jay
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

yessnoo

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
You guys are aloud to use barbed hooks down there?
2008 Hobie Mirage Revolution Fish

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
When going after lingzilla and his friends, would you recommend going barbless or pinching down the barb? I've been struggling lately with removing barbed hooks without taking too much time or overly stressing the fish.

Jay

It's pretty hard to stress a Ling too much and there good at shaking jigs off. I wouldn't use barbless but you can if you want.
See ya on the water..
Roy

steelheadr

• Sturgeon
  • Peterberger Adventures
Since I haven't been catching the lings, this has been mostly a problem with the blacks.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I personally don't like barbless hooks on lings.  They just shake their heads too aggressively.  I remember one morning at Slip Point out by Sekiu.   There is a small ledge that comes off the point.  Tom and I were fishing it and I had a number of good hookups, lings for sure by the headshake feeling and surging runs back down to the bottom.  All lost.   :'(  The next day we went down the road to Snow Creek where barbs were legal.  No problem keeping lings on the hook that day, and a few blacks to boot.   ;D

We've been talking about golden, orange, and blue lings.  This one is almost black.

-Allen
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 02:59:35 PM by polepole »

steelheadr

• Sturgeon
  • Peterberger Adventures
Maybe I'll just bend the barbs down on the 1-2 oz jigs since these end up on cast/retrieve duty when bringing in rockies. I'll keep the big boys for the bottom barbed.

Now I just need to get home and get rigged for a sunrise launch at PC tomorrow!!!

Thanks,
Jay

YakontheFly

• Clouser Meister
  • Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Polepole,

Have you noticed if Circle Hooks help with Lings?  My though is to make some double hook (In line, Head and Stinger...  A rig I use exclusively for Sharks here, with few if any lost fish) rigs with large circles for my next trip to Alaska to try out....

I going to get that 50" Trophy yet!

YotF