Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 06:52:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 20, 2024, 04:24:50 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 02:19:35 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 01:10:00 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 11:40:28 AM]

[May 20, 2024, 10:55:19 AM]

[May 20, 2024, 10:49:19 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Reflective Tape  (Read 4595 times)

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
I scored a nice roll of very reflective tape from Harbor Fright for about $5. It's very sticky, but time and water exposure will tell.

My first thought was to wrap it to the ends of my paddle shaft with the thought that the movement while paddling would make me more apparent.

But on second thought, the moving paddle would look like I'm hailing an oncoming boat or anybody else who saw me from a distance. Now I'm thinking that a pole or a flag would be more appropriate.

Or maybe on the face of the paddle as that is not normally "facing" traffic. It would present more of a durability and sticking issue though.
Any thoughts?
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
The Lendal paddle I use has reflective decals on both sides of the paddle face.  I've never had someone come up to me thinking I was hailing them.

But ... the reflective tape sure is annoying when you're trying to take pictures in low light situations.  The flash reflects off of it (it IS reflective tape after all, duh!) and ruins the shots.

-Allen

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I've ventured into this same idea lately.
I found some of that tape and pretty much want to put it on everything. I did put bands of it near the base of my paddle blades without hesitation and did not think of the fact that it might look like I'm hailing someone, so good thinkin. I think though that if you put in on a flag pole, at least one like I have which is one of those fiberglass atv ones, it would actually look more like you're trying to hail someone IMO because I find that my flag pole waves back and forth a lot sometimes. I think even if you had a more rigid flag pole, it still might have that back and forth effect because of the motion in the ocean if you're off the coast.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I would think a couple of shorter stripes near the bow and stern on each side would work for visinility and not get in the way of photo's so much.
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
let us know about the long-term durability of the stuff.  i'd be interested in affixing some to the paddleboard.  those jet skis are like ninja kittens, and always sneak up on me.  it'd be nice to not have to resort to a pink wetsuit.
Blog/Photo Dump

Editor, The Milkcrate, Kayak Angler Lifestyle.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Still won't help with the guy who's driving the water skiing boat and watching the skiier.  I almost got plowed last weekend but luckily the guy saw me in time to perform an evasive maneuver. 
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
spot, i'll have my crew lay additional units in the depths of hagg.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 02:56:17 PM by andyjade »
Blog/Photo Dump

squidgirl

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
But AJ.... I thought pink was your favorite color.. It would so define those arms of yours.  ;D
"Life is short lets go fishing"

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
picked up some SOLAS paddle tape right after i got my yak... it was cut for paddle blade application... i took 2 peices of it, cut them in half lengthwise, and put them near bow and stern on both sides [ didnt even think to prep the area with alchohol or anything]..been there 2 years and have a few scratches and abuse, but holding up strong..

i think we're worrying too much about whether or not someone would mistake your active paddling for signaling with that type of tape on there.. most people can reasonably figure out the difference, and if someone slides up next to you, and asks if you need help, you know it did it's job and got their attention...

what's the worst that could happen?? you politely tell them you're fine and thanx for looking out for you??
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
That SOLAS tape is awesome. Picking up some of that as well.  Its the only tape that will only reflect back towards the light source, instead of everywhere.
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
M, don't think I won't roll with a hot pink suit for the rockfish party.

For arm definition, I use the anal gland squeezings of a Himalayan musk deer.  Just so ya know.
Blog/Photo Dump

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
and the problem with pink is,,? :evil7:

;D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 09:58:48 AM by Fishesfromtupperware »
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
Nuthin', sailor!  ;)

Blog/Photo Dump

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
let us know about the long-term durability of the stuff.  i'd be interested in affixing some to the paddleboard.  those jet skis are like ninja kittens, and always sneak up on me.  it'd be nice to not have to resort to a pink wetsuit.

Pink? Pink? Whats wrong with pink?  Sounds like you have a pink kink in your think!

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:43:44 PM by craiggamesh »