Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 09:18:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Cook Inlet report...  (Read 3690 times)

Team Liquid

• Herring
  • Lifestyle Maintenace Technician
  • Liquid Adventures
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
Not often I get a day off the schedule mid-summer but that very thing happened on Wed...

On Tuesday morning I dropped our guide Mark and our clients off at the boat for a three day kayak touring trip in Kenai Fjords N.P. He wouldn't be back until Wednesday evening. Nothing else on the calendar until Thursday, so a mini-trip was in the makings. Pam wanted to take our SUP's to Hidden Lake and I have been wanting to cross the peninsula and do some salmon fishing in Cook Inlet. We can do both! Go Stand Up Paddling first, stay with friends in Soldotna that night, drive to Ninilchik for an afternoon High Tide, catch a King and be back to the shop by 6pm. Ambitious, but we had time.

I'm not familiar with fishing the Cook Inlet area so made a few calls and got some beta on the spots and then packed the truck with some toys. SUP'n at Hidden Lake was great. No people, lot's of wildlife and calm winds. Did a nice loop around the islands and back. We are probably the first to paddle there as most of the spots we take the boards in Alaska. Next, dinner with friends in Sterling and then call it a night. High Tide wasn't until 12:19 so got to sleep in a bit before heading over to take a look at the conditions and possible launch beaches. 

Arrived to calm seas and one-two foot surf. Perfect! Dropped the kayak in the water and paddled North. Wanted to go fast and light so I only took one rod, my meter, a net, boga grip and a small box of spinners and trolling weights. Bait on the meter and birds working as I paddle in 12-15' of water, 20 yards from the sand. Twenty-five minutes from the put in and my rod surges as I start another turn and the clicker starts to sing. The fish rolls back behind me and then rips off line towards deeper water. Get him close enough to see it's a buck, he takes another long run and then I get him back and close enough to net. 22lbs on the Boga. I thought he looked heavier? Paddle to the shore for a self-portrait and a little victory dance.

Anyway, it was pretty dam cool and nice when it all comes together. First Kayak King of the Season. Too bad the run is about over. Maybe I can schedule myself another day off?

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Nice report Chris.  I saw the pic on FB and was wondering the story behind it.  That's a nice looking buck (the fish that is)!!!

-Allen

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Nice and simple kayak fishing! Beauty chinook and congrats on a plan coming together.
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Nice!  Those second kings are a LOT more difficult than in May where you not only have the spawners but the feeders as well. 

I see you had spinners.  Did you use the old stand by T-spoon or something a tad more modern?

I may have to go check that out again soon.  I was going to wait a few more weeks for the silvers to show but a king sounds good to now that they have severly restricted the Kenai.

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011
  Real nice king there Chris.Where exactly did you put in ? There are a lot of options in Cook Inlet which makes for a nice delima ?Glad to see a successful trip.
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

Team Liquid

• Herring
  • Liquid Adventures
I was fishing a Spinner Dave model blade Kardinal. You can order them online @ spinnerdave.com
@Mark, I put in at Deep Creek.

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Just a beauty! nice work.
See ya on the water..
Roy

dudemandude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
dude thats awesome! with the weather like that you could actually get out into the deeper water a little further off shore and start catching halibut! Nice fish!

Team Liquid

• Herring
  • Liquid Adventures
Thanks for the kudos guys. Unfortunately, the next go in Cook Inlet won't be until summer 2012. The run is over, I only have another 4 weeks in Alaska and it's time to start thinking about Baja. I hope to do a couple trips over there next summer and maybe a few NWKA's will have an opportunity to join me.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Thanks for the kudos guys. Unfortunately, the next go in Cook Inlet won't be until summer 2012. The run is over, I only have another 4 weeks in Alaska and it's time to start thinking about Baja. I hope to do a couple trips over there next summer and maybe a few NWKA's will have an opportunity to join me.

I'm in!!!  I'll likely start with Kings in Late April early May.  I can't wait to try it out there with the new yak so I can go a little further than 2 miles out. 

If you have something planned outside of resurrection bay this year, let me know.  I'd consider hitching a ride and sharing any costs!

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Team Liquid

• Herring
  • Liquid Adventures
Looking forward to it Rudy! I want a big Hen 40lbs or better as I know there are plenty of fish of that caliber swimming around over there. As far as fishing this season, I'll keep u posted on trips outside the bay.

Also, I want to work with the Chamber for a Seward Silver Derby prize for Kayak only caught fish. (or at least human powered vehicle caught) I sponsored a prize last year but nobody signed up. I'm sure we can rally some anglers through this and other Alaska forums. Talk to you soon.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Looking forward to it Rudy! I want a big Hen 40lbs or better as I know there are plenty of fish of that caliber swimming around over there. As far as fishing this season, I'll keep u posted on trips outside the bay.

Also, I want to work with the Chamber for a Seward Silver Derby prize for Kayak only caught fish. (or at least human powered vehicle caught) I sponsored a prize last year but nobody signed up. I'm sure we can rally some anglers through this and other Alaska forums. Talk to you soon.

Sweet -oh.  Sounds great! I'm in for everything you stated above. 

I was asked by the Anchor Point Derby about a kayak category and I told them frankly that I would support the idea only if it didn't take away from the overall purse and a kayakers ability to win the overall purse.   So I would have the same support for the seward derby.  An extra recognition is ok.  Being placed in a separate category is NOT ok as I want to win the whole thing...not just a little subset!  Big dreams!  Try to not concern myself too much with real life odds as I have beaten some crazy odds over my life time so I know its possible!

I might even contribute something maybe via NWKA or some other mechanism to up the ante.  If I could solidify my own financial and family situation so I cpould see a few more years out, one of the things I'd like to do is maybe start/sponsor a fishing "team" up here.  I have some decent contacts and friends with boats who we could access and I think it would be cool to enter as a group of 2 to 6 or more people. 

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com