Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 04:41:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Hobie mirage drive efficiency  (Read 7741 times)

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Aw shucks, the science guy called me powerful.

It is likely that the turbo flappers are suited to powerful individuals

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
That was cool.  Thanks for sharing.  I''ve hit 6+ mph in my adventure.  I can only imagine the effort it takes to hit 10mph!

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
6+ is definitely doable in the adventure. Don't think ten is unless you are a hell of a lot lighter than myself.
8 without wind or current maybe tops ....

My rudder assembly starts to drag at high speed and really makes it tough to go any faster.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
Haha yah, if you find yourself going 10 you are in REAL trouble! :)
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
If the addy was made from a composite instead of plastic, you could probably do 10.  As it is, pushing the pedals to go that fast probably warps the hull a bit (insert NANOOK hull commentary here)

I can get the Revo up to 6.5 briefly, but typical cruise speed is 3.5 to 4 with extended sprints of 5 or so.

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
6+ is definitely doable in the adventure. Don't think ten is unless you are a hell of a lot lighter than myself.
8 without wind or current maybe tops ....

My rudder assembly starts to drag at high speed and really makes it tough to go any faster.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I've done 8.2 via gps in a short sprint.  That said I was going with the flow of the tide which might have helped ;D.  6.5 - 7 is plenty doable in short sprints if you are reasonably fit.  I no longer push top end speeds as both times I've broken mirage drives was when I was really hammering it.  A better measure for actual fishing conditions is how fast and how long can you maintain "your" fast cruise.  I shoot for keeping it between a maintained  low of  4 and a high of 4.5 (which isn't realistic once it gets fairly windy/rough).  Doesn't seem that fast for short distances but after a few miles it gets tough to maintain. Faster than that and I really overheat.  This is one reason I'm not a huge fan of Outbacks (I've owned 2) as they take more work to maintain a fast cruise compared to a Revo or Addy.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 07:32:31 AM by pelagic paddler »

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I was at the Hobie dealer on Camano last weekend.  Just to see what prices are like and whatnot.  The guy I talked to there was surprisingly opposed to the Adventure - thought it was just too long of a boat and not stable enough.   ::)  Really tried to steer me to the Outback.  They both have their place, but the speed of the Adventure is alluring.  Guess when I have a couple grand to spend on another yak I'll have to demo the Addy, Revo and Outback.
2012 ORC 5th Place

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I was at the Hobie dealer on Camano last weekend.  Just to see what prices are like and whatnot.  The guy I talked to there was surprisingly opposed to the Adventure - thought it was just too long of a boat and not stable enough.   ::)  Really tried to steer me to the Outback.  They both have their place, but the speed of the Adventure is alluring.  Guess when I have a couple grand to spend on another yak I'll have to demo the Addy, Revo and Outback.

If you fish mostly open water (ocean,big rivers,coastal bays) the Adventure is great.  It can be to long for smaller waters and pursuits like bass fishing etc.  The long turning radius can be a pain in tight quarters.  It is a very stable boat offshore and I feel way more comfortable in it than I did in my outbacks in conditions like large following seas, heavy wind chop or gusty wind. It slices where the Outback wallows.. The Revo is a great boat too and is every bit as capable as the Adventure offshore plus its shorter length makes it much easier to manage in close quarters fishing.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I do love those turbo flappers! :) Thanks for the link.

I agree with PP. The Revo and Addy slice through stuff and have a lot of glide where the OB busts over but feels like riding a bike on a muddy road. Stability has never been an issue with me but I come from a surfing background so think of it closer to that than a boat. Guys like Rory who switched from Adventure to OB don't make any sense but he's weird anyway. ;) Whatever floats your boat though. Ride what feels comfortable to you. Cool thing is in the Hobie line of yaks/boats there's a lot of different rides available.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:41:13 AM by Zee »
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
Guys like Rory who switched from Adventure to OB don't make any sense but he's weird anyway. ;) Whatever floats your boat though.

Stability is key.  My man boobs make me top-heavy.
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

Ben Guss

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2010
I've been considering an outback for a while. I'd like something i can stand and fly fish from. Can the Addy fit my bill?
Thanks for the input!
Ben

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I've been considering an outback for a while. I'd like something i can stand and fly fish from. Can the Addy fit my bill?
Thanks for the input!
Ben
No for the addy but you might want to look at the pro angler 12.,

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Never tried the adventure so I can't speak to it. But I went with the Outback because it fit me much better. I'm 6'3 and 225 lbs. The Revo was an amazing boat and had good speed, but ultimately it felt a bit cramped compared to the wider, larger load capacity of the Outback.
At the end of the day, you can't go wrong with a Hobie. Just pick which one fits your body and fishing style best and not what somebody is trying to sell you on.
Oh, and in case you were curious which color catches more fish, it's the yellow ones. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
You can get or make outriggers for the addy, Ben.  You can get ama kits for all of the hobies too.  Then you can stand

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

anything