Forum > The Kayak Shack

Your Thoughts On This Configuration to Haul My Kayaks On My Truck Rack

(1/3) > >>

hdpwipmonkey:
So after putting my Hobie on and off the Thule racks on my truck a couple of different times and dealing with the struggle, Mojo gave me an idea that is easier and will save my back in the long run.  Instead of having the racks extended all the way up and putting the kayak on so it overhangs the cab, keep the racks lower so that the kayak will just clear the truck box.  I tried this setup today and it it MUCH easier to load and unload the kayak but the kayak sits further back on the rack and isn't centered on the rack with equal overhang at the front and back.  I strapped it down in the new lower configuration and it is solid and not going anywhere, as long as the straps don't let loose for some unknown reason.

My question to you all, what are your thoughts?  Will this be ok or should I deal with the higher and harder loading option and hope my back holds out...

alpalmer:
I would run a bow line tied to the front crossbar.  If there was a strap failure, the kayak should remain on the racks and not into the windshield following you.

Will the "hang over" beyond the bumper require flagging?

hdpwipmonkey:
@alpalmer
I always use a cable lock on the boat for safety and theft reasons.  If the straps do let loose for some reason the cable lock will keep it  attached to the rack.  I also will use a flag if I run it like this. 

@deptrai
I can lower the rack with the kayak on it but I haven't tried to raise them with it on.  I can tell you that the rack doesn't raise and lower very easily.  They tend to bind up if not done exactly at the same time.

pmmpete:
I know several people who have broken the rear window of the cab of their pickup with the bow or stern of a kayak, either while loading the kayak into the back of their pickup, or when braking.  So be careful when loading your kayak, and consider installing a leash which prevents the end of your kayak from contacting your rear window.

Mojo Jojo:

--- Quote from: pmmpete on January 26, 2019, 05:58:51 PM ---I know several people who have broken the rear window of the cab of their pickup with the bow or stern of a kayak, either while loading the kayak into the back of their pickup, or when braking.  So be careful when loading your kayak, and consider installing a leash which prevents the end of your kayak from contacting your rear window.

--- End quote ---
Ray we could always make you custom headache rack for your truck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version