Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:53:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Yet another downrigger mount - Revo13  (Read 3886 times)

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Built a new DIY downrigger mount for the Scotty DepthMaster for my Revo13. 

http://www.demonick.com/kayak/HMR/Downrigger/00.HMR.Downrigger.Mount.html

It is built from 1-1/4" schedule 40 PVC.  The mount uses the Revo's useless molded-in rod holders behind the cockpit.  The shakedown cruise showed it was plenty solid and never moved.  It also showed you may want to mount it over the left side of the kayak to place the brake lever on the side toward the cockpit.  I may rig up a line on the brake lever so it can be released while facing forward and pedaling. 

It was very cool to be pedaling along at trolling speed and seeing the ball on the sonar.  I definitely knew my gear was at the target depth.

The shakedown cruise also showed that 50# braid IS NOT sufficient for a 6# ball.  Upon retrieval, the ball came up, I let go of the handle, the ball dropped, the auto-brake engaged, the ball jerked short and kept going to the bottom, taking the large Sampo swivel and the line release.  Yes, it was a neophyte user error - I've never used a downrigger in my life.  However, I think the error margin is too narrow with 50# - no one is perfect all the time, ... well, except TLW.  I'm going with 80# or 100# if I can find it.  Remember the knot to the swivel reduces the line strength somewhat.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 10:02:52 AM by demonick »
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
That looks great! I like the use of the PVC pipes and not having to drill into your kayak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
50# is WAY to light,  I believe most use 120 or 150 braid (whichever on is the heaviest one they make). Plus put a short rubber snubber/stong bungie between the main cable/braid and the ball.  Salmon Trout Steelheader mag did a great article on how to switch from cable to braid in the last couple years, find that article and you're dialed in.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 10:17:07 AM by pelagic paddler »

willbd

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011

demonick

• Sturgeon
I think the issue with lower test braid on a kayak versus a PB is that you want the line to break upon a bottom snag on a kayak.  I'm sure 175# and 250# would flip my yak before it broke.  I'm still trying to find a small spool of 100#.
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

willbd

• Lingcod
I understand your concerns with snagging the down rigger. My limited experience with power pro line in 40 lb is i can't get it to break when i get hung up on the bottom. I only breaks when i have a nick in it or cut it with a knife.

With that said I think a product that is made for a down rigger would be better than using a line made for fishing as your cable. Power Pro makes down rigger line in 150 lb range. 

Let us know how your down rigger works out.

demonick

• Sturgeon
I replaced the 50# line with 80# line and a snubber.  Couldn't find a 150yard spool of 100#.  Added another gunwale brace on the port side in case I want to run the downrigger off that side.  Running it off the port side would make reaching the brake release easier, but I prefer to work to my right.  I have rigged up a line on the release I can pull when facing forward and pedaling.  So, I can set everything up facing the rear, submerge the ball carefully into the water, then turn around, pedal, and deploy the ball. 

How to break braid.  I run yellow 50# in the salt.  Carry a few inch long smooth 1/2" diameter dowel.  Wrap the line above the reel around the dowel a few times, hold dowel like a ski rope handle, point the rod at the place where line and water meet, haul ass in the opposite direction.  I have used my pliers instead of the dowel, but the line cut into the rubber handle coating, then when using the metal part of the pliers the line slipped into a join and broke at the pliers.  In a pinch you can also loop the line a couple of times over the first rod eyelet above the reel, but this does somewhat stress the eyelet.
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Why do you need 150 yards for a downrigger? How deep are you trolling? I'm planning on replacing the wire cable on my Scotty Lake Troller with 65 lb braid.

I only have a 3 lb ball. So far I've just put it in a Scotty mount attached to my rear aka on the TI. Seems to work fine but I haven't hit a snag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

demonick

• Sturgeon
Why do you need 150 yards for a downrigger? How deep are you trolling?

Dude, the bottom is where the bottom is.  150 yards is only 450 feet, and only 1/2 NM offshore in my home waters its over 450  :)

In truth, it's just that the smallest spool of PowerPro you can buy is 150 yards.  I'm running 250' of braid on the downrigger. 

The second shakedown cruise with the downrigger went well.  I adjusted my gear per earlier post, plus adjusted my procedure.  Came back with my ball and all the other parts.

I added a port side gunwale brace in case I want to try trolling from the left.  This would put the brake release just behind the seat, much easier than having to reach around the spool.  Also, added a short vertical to the right side gunwale brace creating a net holder.
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

willbd

• Lingcod
Came back with my ball and all the other parts.

It always a plus when you get back with your ball and other parts!
Keep us posted on your down rigger set. It looks sweet!

olymanandthesea

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
had to modify a bit for the outback but gave me a good starting point, thanks demonik!

DTS

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Sweet easy set up!  I can see this set up in my future.  Getting a little frustrated trying other means of getting it down there to the right depth. 

Thanks for posting this up Demonick!
PROGRESS IS JUST BEING THERE!

Justin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
i don't like that I'd lose my space for my milk crate behind me. 

I guess that would be one way for me to leave a bunch of excess gear at home.

cool setup and design.
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

demonick

• Sturgeon
Great adaptation to the Outback.

I was concerned about losing my milk crate too, but it turned out I don't need it for trolling.  A plano box fits under the mount in the tank well, the crotch hatch gear bucket, and the mesh pockets hold all I need.  I am using one of the open 'T' fitting gunwale braces as a net holder (net has leash).  About the only other thing is a game clip with leash which lays behind the seat.
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

Javahead33

• Krill
  • Hobie Mirage Outback, Hobie Mirage Revolution 13
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
That's cool. I've been curious how you do a downrigger from a Kayak.  I just fashioned an outdoor storage rack out of PVC. Amazing stuff. I'm not happy with it yet, but I know what to do to finish it up.  If there was a catalog of DIY patterns for yakkers, I'd buy one.
"Any day fishin'..."

anything