Forum > Oregon Kayak Fishing

Kayak fishing camping ideas

(1/8) > >>

Zach.Dennis:
Hello All,

I have been wanting to plan a 3-day kayak fishing and camping trip for when i return to Oregon.  I was wondering if anyone knew of a river that would allow me to float most of the way without having to get out and walk the kayak around rapids.  Or is there a chunk of river that could sustain me for 3 days.  I was thinking maybe the John Day river but am open to many ideas, even a lake if the fishing is good enough .  I will be in the portland area but am open to driving to far locations.  Thanks for your help!

pmmpete:

--- Quote from: Zach.Dennis on February 08, 2016, 12:45:46 PM ---I have been wanting to plan a 3-day kayak fishing and camping trip for when i return to Oregon.  I was wondering if anyone knew of a river that would allow me to float most of the way without having to get out and walk the kayak around rapids.  Or is there a chunk of river that could sustain me for 3 days.  I was thinking maybe the John Day river but am open to many ideas, even a lake if the fishing is good enough .  I will be in the portland area but am open to driving to far locations.  Thanks for your help!
--- End quote ---
Members of the forum have recently done multi-day fishing trips on the John Day, and will probably provide information about floating that river.  Another option is sections of the Grande Ronde river at moderate to low levels, which is a very scenic multi-day float.  There are a couple of rapids which are rambunctious at higher levels, but are pretty trivial at lower levels.  Check the descriptions of different sections of the river in guidebooks to choose sections of the river with a level of difficulty which you're comfortable with.  Here are some pictures from a trip I took on the Grande Ronde a couple of years ago.

This is one of the bigger rapids on the river at high levels, but is a Class II riffle at lower water.

FireFly:

--- Quote from: Zach.Dennis on February 08, 2016, 12:45:46 PM ---Hello All,

I have been wanting to plan a 3-day kayak fishing and camping trip for when i return to Oregon.  I was wondering if anyone knew of a river that would allow me to float most of the way without having to get out and walk the kayak around rapids.  Or is there a chunk of river that could sustain me for 3 days.  I was thinking maybe the John Day river but am open to many ideas, even a lake if the fishing is good enough .  I will be in the portland area but am open to driving to far locations.  Thanks for your help!

--- End quote ---
I believe KayakShed puts on a yearly camping float on the John Day.....others may chime in as I do not remember the specifics but as I recall it sounded like a blast!

bb2fish:
The Willamette is a multi-day kayakable river.  Lots of books about camping and all the details.  That could be many days depending on what stretch you wanted to float.  I saw the books at Next Adventure detailing the entire river.  I fish a few sections of it at different times of the year, very easy kayaking.

browneyesvictim:

--- Quote from: bb2fish on February 08, 2016, 02:37:02 PM ---The Willamette is a multi-day kayakable river.  Lots of books about camping and all the details.  That could be many days depending on what stretch you wanted to float.  I saw the books at Next Adventure detailing the entire river.  I fish a few sections of it at different times of the year, very easy kayaking.

--- End quote ---

All you ever wanted to know right here. :thumbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version