Forum > Other Paddlecraft

i11s as a fishing platform..spoiler alert: first Ling..

(1/3) > >>

rogerdodger:
Abstract:  The i11s presents as a super fun, easy to transport, 11' long Mirage drive based inflatable board (or flat kayak if you like).  Initial testing by the author quickly confirmed this and added an impression that it is amazingly stable.  But can it be configured, without losing it's character, as a fishing platform for conditions beyond just simple smooth water fishing?  Can it, for example, be fitted up to bottom fish in or near the ocean?

Approach:  My i11s fishing rigging is as follows:  Yakattack BlackPac behind the seat with rod holders, cup holders, and 2 Scotty Rocket Launchers, and GoPro mount, Milk Crate behind that to toss fish in, Sonar mount board up front, fishing gear under seat in TraderJoes red insulated bag.

Testing:  Launched 8am in lower part of Coos Bay (near the DQ), light winds but bar restricted to 30' boats so not a SAG day, fished Charleston side first between the red markers (landed several 'coppers' and one small 'black', all released), then headed across and retained 2 'blacks', and then landed my first ever Ling.  (full disclosure: previous to today, assuming you have all your fingers, my hours spent bottom fishing could be counted on one hand- just my bumpy trips out of Sunset Bay this year, no charters or jetty fishing on my resume, I am a total newby to bottom fishing).  So my first Ling is on the deck, first check it is clearly over 20", better measurement it is 21", and two more measurement just to be sure, it is 21" and so it splashed back into the water with my regards, several more hours fishing then back to the launch cove at 5pm.

Conclusion:  Is it possible to configure an i11s for bottom fishing, spend 8+ hours on the water and catch fish?
to quote my 25yo son: "hells yeah!"

Follow-up research:  The first reasonably smooth ocean day, I plan to take my fishing configured i11s out of Sunset Bay and catch some fish.

cheers, roger

rawkfish:
I like dis... I like dis a lot!    ;D

Rory:
Nice!

hdpwipmonkey:
Every time I read one of your reports I want one more and more...

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

browneyesvictim:
Congrats Roger! That the way its done!  See ya at Sunset soon!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version