Forum > Montana Kayak Fishing

Lake trout fishing on Lindbergh Lake

(1/5) > >>

pmmpete:
I was out of circulation from fishing for two weeks due to a 10-day 200-mile kayak trip on the Dolores River in southwest Colorado and eastern Utah.  As soon as I got back, I headed to Lindbergh Lake for a day of Lake Trout fishing.  It was fun, until I got chased off the lake by a series of wind and snow squalls.

YippieKaiyak:
Gorgeous lake and... laker? :)  Wish I could join you out there.  Looks amazing.

PablitoPescador:
Nice work! You make it look easy

Dwight:
What do you prefer as the best way to prepare lake trout for the table?

pmmpete:

--- Quote from: Dwight on May 20, 2017, 11:21:27 AM ---What do you prefer as the best way to prepare lake trout for the table?

--- End quote ---
Any salmon recipe works fine with lake trout.  Here is a favorite easy recipe for lake trout, kokanee, or whatever:  Sprinkle the lake trout fillets with black pepper, slather them with peach-mango or pineapple salsa, and bake them at 400 degrees until they are done.  Walmart sells a nice peach-mango salsa.

The lake trout from Flathead Lake, Lindbergh Lake, and other lakes that I am aware of in Western Montana are not at all oily, and they taste a lot like salmon.  However, in lakes which have a lot of kokanee, like Odell Lake in Washington, lake trout can be quite oily.  Flathead Lake used to have a great kokanee fishery, and the lake trout were very oily.  Old timers joked that if you tried to barbeque a lake trout, it would catch on fire.  But after the introduction of mysis shrimp to Flathead Lake, the kokanee fishery completely disappeared, and the lake trout are no longer oily.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version