Forum > Waving the Bug Wand

"Cleansing" Hardened UV Resin

<< < (2/2)

surf12foot:
What Tinker said rubbing alcohol is what they use. Use it once you are completely done with the fly. That uncured sticky gooey feeling is a coating so that when another coat is added it will bond completely to each other and become one. Fingernail polish will do the same as the rubbing alcohol as a final coat too.

Klondike Kid:
Yep the 99% alcohol I tried on a hunch from the videos did seem to remove that surface "feeling". Thanks for the insight on its true purpose as an interface binder to join follow-up layers. Good to know!  Kinda like the 'tack' we lay down on old pavement to bind the new overlay asphalt to the old.

I've got a new pattern to invent and perfect after checking the stomach contents of my first AOTY fly entry. I was surprised at what I found. I wasn't even aware that food source existed in the lake. The UV resin is going to be a very integral part of the assemblage of components for creating the likeness. More later..... 

Strangely, I searched YT for videos on tying this pattern and what is there doesn't even come vaguely close to what the critter looks like. I'm on my own for this one!!  Maybe I'll have to post my own tying video. It's going to be a bit of a challenge I think.

[WR]:
Ohhhhh, sounds like you're going to have some fun..btw, look up The Miyawaki Beach Popper by Roland Miyawaki for SRC type fish. I've found it works,well on most other trout type fishes, too

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version