Forum > Montana Kayak Fishing

Lake trout double creates chaos

(1/1)

pmmpete:
The temperature was predicted to get above 100 degrees today, so I decided to beat the heat by going lake trout fishing on Flathead Lake.  The 66 degree water temperature nicely offset the scorching air temperature.  I caught 11 lake trout.  One of my hookups put up a particularly hard fight, and after I winched it 170 feet up to the surface I discovered why - it was two fish, not one fish.  Playing the fish up to my kayak was tricky because they had different opinions about what direction to swim, and netting them was a challenge because my lures were 18 inches apart.  I would scoop up one fish, but when I went for the second fish, the first fish would slither out of my net.  It took me six tries to get both fish in my net at the same time. A couple of times I thought that one of the fish had gotten loose and had returned to the deep, but it was just hiding under my kayak.

alpalmer:
Great work,  never give up.

YakHunter:

--- Quote from: pmmpete on June 28, 2021, 06:00:49 PM ---The temperature was predicted to get above 100 degrees today, so I decided to beat the heat by going lake trout fishing on Flathead Lake.  The 66 degree water temperature nicely offset the scorching air temperature.  I caught 11 lake trout.  One of my hookups put up a particularly hard fight, and after I winched it 170 feet up to the surface I discovered why - it was two fish, not one fish.  Playing the fish up to my kayak was tricky because they had different opinions about what direction to swim, and netting them was a challenge because my lures were 18 inches apart.  I would scoop up one fish, but when I went for the second fish, the first fish would slither out of my net.  It took me six tries to get both fish in my net at the same time. A couple of times I thought that one of the fish had gotten loose and had returned to the deep, but it was just hiding under my kayak.

--- End quote ---

I assume one hit your jig and the other the fly?

pmmpete:

--- Quote from: YakHunter on June 29, 2021, 07:51:52 AM ---I assume one hit your jig and the other the fly?

--- End quote ---
Correct.  I rarely catch two lake trout at the same time on a jig/fly rig because both fish have to bite at the same time to give me a double.  Normally as soon as I get a hit I set the hook and start pulling up the fish, which pulls the other hook away from any other lake trout which were inspecting my rig.

Helium Head:
What a great problem to have Peter!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version