Forum > Introduce Yourself

Hi from Everett WA

(1/1)

billfishing:
Back on the forum after a gap of a few years. I intend to do a lot more fishing now that I am semi retired. I like to fish the local lakes in my Hobie PA 12. Favorite pastime is trolling around for bass and trout with my down rigger. This year I'm looking to build/customize a trailer for my kayak. Any help and ideas from the forum would be most welcome.

skayaker2:
Hi billfishing, welcome back to NWKA and congrats on semi-retirement. I remember at least a couple members reporting their progress while building/customizing kayak trailer recently, check the search function or the Gear sub-forum of NWKA and I am sure you will find some ideas. I still car top my kayaks, so can't provide much more info!

BentRod:
Welcome back!

YakHunter:

--- Quote from: billfishing on January 15, 2022, 10:03:16 AM ---Back on the forum after a gap of a few years. I intend to do a lot more fishing now that I am semi retired. I like to fish the local lakes in my Hobie PA 12. Favorite pastime is trolling around for bass and trout with my down rigger. This year I'm looking to build/customize a trailer for my kayak. Any help and ideas from the forum would be most welcome.

--- End quote ---

Welcome back to the forum Billfishing.  As far as DIY kayak trailers, so much depends on your needs (how many kayaks, kayak length, additional storage, etc.).  When I built mine in 2020, I wanted to be able to transport 5-6 kayaks.  Most of us do not build a trailer from scratch, rather we pick up a used trailer (utility, boat, other) and modify it to meet our needs.  My base was a 1980's jet ski trailer that I transformed into my "fleet" trailer.  I suggest you do an internet "image" search for DIY Kayak trailer.  It will give you a good idea on the build possibilities for various trailer types.  I see that there is a couple of face book groups "kayak Trailers and trailer mods" and "DIY Kayak Trailers & Carriers builds N Mods" that can provide inspiration.  Personally, I prefer a trailer with a full size wheel (14"+ rims) as my towing distances are somewhat longer.  When you are looking for a base trailer make sure you get one with a title.  I see many adds out there for un-titled utility trailers and it is a nightmare to get them titled and licensed.  I posted pictures of a few stages of the project at:      https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=22265.msg231268#msg231268   You can also check out Mzungu19's recent DIY kayak trailer post at: https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=22904.msg239183#msg239183  My finished trailer is below.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version