Forum > Introduce Yourself

New southwest Oregon kayaker

(1/3) > >>

MakoMark:
Hello to all kayak fisherman, I'm new to this board because I got a new Hobie Compass for Christmas.  I've owned several kayaks, the one prior being 14ft Severn that I  built from Chesapeake Light Craft. 1/8 in. Ply 35 lbs. Padded that boat all over Baja, Texas, Montana, California,  and Oregon.  I  moved to the south Oregon coast 5 years back and have a 20ft Mako with a Honda 130 to fish tuna ect. but the old kayak started to delaminate but I miss the kayak experience.
   A friend invited me to visit him in Florida,  and I  wanted a $500 kayak to put on the roof of the truck.  After much research the budget went out the window and Brian at Waxers had a new 2021 he just received and the customer had backed out.  The compass was the right boat for me due to weight, stability,  water tight for ocean waves, and is a clean slate for rigging.  The Florida trip has been postponed so I started preparing for the Oregon ocean.
  I started with the rectangular hatch upgrade putting the 12v kakattack battery under the round hatch, and installing a Lowrance hook reveal 5 gps/ff with the 50/200 transducer ( had to cut the nose off and new mounting hole to fit).  Bright yellow England 30qt. cooler with 4 rod holders, scotty cup holder, sail kit with roller furler,  and two 19in H bars. Got the fat beach wheels, a new Kokatat dry suit,  gloves,  boots, thermals , and water hat.  Got a new Hobie PDF  and added a hook knife, whistle, and S.H. HX40 vhf.
  I've always wanted a peddle kayak but with a bad knee I  needed something else, so I  add the Texas power paddle with cooler mounting feet for the battery case on the back deck.
  Added a few new tools; knife, fish gripper,  pliers, lanyards,  pad eyes, pulleys, ancor trolley,  two track rod holders. Reworked an old net with new webbing and float. Everything is line green on gray or black to match the boat color.
  Ok so my $500 butget turned into $7K, luckily I have rigged boats for over 20 years and did all the rigging.  Brian at Waxers has been a great help!
Now for Sunset bay. ;

MakoMark:
Just a few more pics

MakoMark:
Added texas power

superkona:
Super cool rig. Also here in So. OR.

MakoMark:
Thanks Superkona, what type of Kayak fishing do you do?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version