Forum > Drillin' & Cuttin'

OK Trident Drift Anchor

<< < (2/7) > >>

troutnut:
Just needs one more tweak to be perfect!

Spot:
I AM SO STOKED!!!!!

If the river forecasts hold, I'll be trying it out this weekend.  I'll be sure to give y'all a complete run down on its performance.

-Spot-

INSAYN:

--- Quote from: troutnut on November 11, 2009, 05:53:30 PM ---Just needs one more tweak to be perfect!

--- End quote ---

Easy to integrate, tougher to use if mounted on the actual pulley mount.  8)

craig:

--- Quote ---Easy to integrate, tougher to use if mounted on the actual pulley mount. 
--- End quote ---

Not for your buddy that is drifting up behind you ;D  Its all about teamwork ;)

Spot:
Made it out on the Nestucca today with BS (The fish geek formerly know as bsteves).  Final talley was 0 for 1.....

While anchored up in the 2nd spot, the anchor rope hopped the pulley.   There was no pulling up the anchor at this point so Brian paddled over and re-hung the rope.  Same thing happened in the 3rd and 4th spots so I parked the yak and looked for a solution.  I was fully ready to steal some wire from a fence to make a bracket but there were none to be found....  After searching my gear the best I could come up with was some heavy leader.  I looped the leader around the head of the pulley pin, across the channel and then under the kotter pin a couple of times.  It didn't seem like it would hold at 1st but it lasted all day and warded off any further line hopping issues.  Time for a more permanent mod.

There were two failure modes I saw.  1st, when swinging in the current, the latteral pull would cause the rope to hop off the pulley.  2nd, when releasing the line from the cleat, if there wasn't a lot of tension on the anchor line, a little bite would form and walk right off the pulley.  Both of these failure modes were mitigated by 3 wraps of leader over the top of the pulley housing.

Other than that, the new arm worked perfectly.  The anchor was held well above the water.  Retrieval of the anchor was smooth as silk.  And, the fit was friggin perfect.  INSAYN wasn't kidding when he told me that I could probably tighten all the bolts by hand. 

-Spot-

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version