Forum > Oregon Kayak Fishing

2012 Invasive Species Permits

(1/6) > >>

Spot:
Don't forget to pick up a 2012 invasive species permit for your kayak!

The price is $7.  When I picked up mine, Dick's wanted $20.  Turns out they were trying to sell me an out of state motorized ISP. 

--- Quote from: bsteves on December 03, 2009, 09:29:17 AM ---Just a reminder, starting January 1st, 2010 all operators of non-motorized boats over 10' long are required to have the new Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Permit.  Pick one up when you get your 2010 fishing license.

http://www.oregon.gov/OSMB/programs/09LawsFAQs.shtml

What does this mean for those with manually powered boats?

* Non-motorized boat operators (rafts, drift boats, kayaks, canoes, etc.) 10 feet and longer will need to carry and purchase a $7 annual permit ($5 + $2 agent fee), which the boater can use with any manually powered boat. 
    * Permits are required for both residents and nonresidents and are transferable to other non-motorized craft, but every vessel on the water must have a permit.
    * Non-motorized liveries (rental businesses) will receive a
      quantity discount. Clubs and organizations can have permits issued in
      their name. Permits must be purchased directly from the Oregon State
      Marine Board

Where do I get a permit?

* Permits can be purchased online at the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife's Web site: www.dfw.state.or.us/online_license_sales/index.asp beginning December 1, 2009.
    * ODFW license agents and ODFW offices that sell licenses, www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/licenses.

Why do motorized boats pay $5 every two years and non-motorized $7 ($5 permit + $2 agent fee) each year?

* Boat registration decals are non-transferrable -they adhere to the bow of the boat.  Non-motorized permits are transferrable.
    * Because this is a new program involving a different segment of boater, a new delivery system will need to be created which carries additional overhead costs.
    * The surcharge on a motorboat will be automatic, with little overhead.  Motorboaters are already paying a certain amount of their registration fees to maintain the registration data infrastructure.
    * Because ODFW has nearly 500 point of sale agents and an online license sales system, their permit delivery system better serves boaters statewide.

--- End quote ---

Justin:
I got mine.  I sure wish the money you spend on it actually went to prevent invasive species though :(

bsteves:

--- Quote from: joesnuffy on January 23, 2012, 11:03:17 AM ---I got mine.  I sure wish the money you spend on it actually went to prevent invasive species though :(

--- End quote ---

If you're curious as to how much money was collected and where it went in 2010 they put out a report...

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/conservationstrategy/invasive_species/docs/AISPP_Annual%20_report_2010.pdf

firebunkers23:
Thanks for the reminder Spot. And hey the Nestucca is down to 8' do you want to give her a try when she gets down to 7' or should we wait for 6'.  ;)

ndogg:
Man, I have to check to see if I actually picked one up when I got my license. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version