Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:01:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Lake Pend Oreille newb  (Read 5472 times)

couriersean

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
After joining this group, picking up an Old Town Salty last January and fishing around Puget Sound for the last year, we find ourselves with another big move next year. I've never fished lakes, but if we are moving to Sandpoint I will just have to find a way to adjust. haha.

I don't see too much information on here concerning Lake Pend Oreille kayak fishing, but thought I'd see if anybody in the area can give me some insight on what to expect. Namely, I'm thinking about selling or trading the salty for a sportsman PDL, or even an minnkota powered craft, but wasn't sure about trolling with the wider and heavier boat on the lake. Are down riggers pretty much required to effectively fish, or can I get away with a sliding weight rig like I'm currently using for salmon on the salt?
Thanks in advance

LawyerBob

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Lived out in that area back in the day but didn’t fish the lake. Saw a few huge lake trout from it. Locals also often talked about how absurdly deep it was and how the government tested submarines out there at the  (long since decommissioned) Farragut Naval Training Station.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 11:47:50 AM by LawyerBob »

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Sean, I've got a life long friend who lives there. Give me a bit , will ask if he can give a list of resources for there that I can pass on..

How soon do you leave ??
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

couriersean

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
Thanks!
We won't move for another 10 months, but we will be going there throughout the year to scout out houses and perhaps work a weekend or two to get familiar with the system and help out. I just don't see a lot of info out there for kayak fishermen in Northern Idaho. Lake Pend Oreille looks promising, but there's a lot of powerboat activity in town, and it's insanely deep

Rc4jw

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Hey I am from there and have done a lot of kayak and boat fishing in the big lake. Rainbow trout is great through the colder months of winter. Not as many big Mackinaw (lake trout) as there used to be. Farragut has not been decommissioned and they are still in fact testing submarines there. All unmanned from what I understand. Walleye, Pike, Smallmouth and Largemouth fishing is all exceptional. There are Blueback (Kokanee) salmon to be caught. People rave about them and while they are pretty tasty they are really small with a 12 inch one being pretty good sized. If your still on here hit me up and I know a lot of good spots and what to use to catch some pretty good sized fish.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Gee, when did we start calling kokanee "bluebacks"?  I must have mossed missed the announcement.   ;D
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 06:27:57 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Rc4jw

• Herring
That’s what they call them in Idaho where I grew up. I haven’t heard that anywhere else either.

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I must have mossed the announcement.   ;D
Probably the peat growing on your tympanic membrane.

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I must have mossed the announcement.   ;D
Probably the peat growing on your tympanic membrane.
I’m lichen the way you think 😆

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I’m lichen the way you think 😆
;D

Ah man, that was my next stop. 

I'm out.  Don't want to bog down the thread.

Rc4jw

• Herring
Here I thought it was just simply a moss-spelled word… talk about bogging down the thread.

Rc4jw

• Herring
Being serious though there is not a lot of action from the Gem state section. I guess I am to blame for that because I literally fished every evening when the weather was decent and I never posted a report.

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I live in Vale and fish in Idaho a fair bit but I'm a long way from LPO. Looks like there's some giant trout up that way.

anything