Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 04:26:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:28:58 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: new to area wet suit or dry suit as the prefered system.  (Read 3139 times)

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
  • A bad day of fishing is still better than a good d
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Living down here in SF bay area currently, the prevailing suit of choice is a wet suit/farmer john with a paddlers jacket. A few guys in NCKA wear dry suits. As I moving up there soon, what is the better one to wear in Puget Sound for year round wear?  Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
US Army & Army National Guard Veteran of 34 years
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Drysuit. I feel they are more comfortable.  But, that is my preference.  I use mine for more than just the kayak.  It works great for duck hunting and wading for steelhead - especially if you fall in.  I protect it while doing these things by wearing a pair of old breathable (leaky) waders over the top if I am in real thorny areas. If you get a Kokatat Goretex suit, then you can send it is for repairs for a low fee ($25 last time I did it) for life.

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
Good to know about the Kokatat, thanks Craig!

I have a run of the mill Kokatat paddling jacket for 12 years or so now and it has held up well. I will have to hunt around for a good set.
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
If you get a Kokatat Goretex suit, then you can send it is for repairs for a low fee ($25 last time I did it) for life.

... Of the suit, not you... Just pointing that out.

I agree on the Drysuit, if you can afford it then it's the way to go IMO, you can layer up and be warm all day without being wet.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
My recommendation, in one word, is "drysuit."  To expand on that, my recommendation, in two words, is "dry suit." For further discussion and some pictures, check out this recent NCKA thread on wetsuits versus drysuits for winter kayaking: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=86276.msg981648#msg981648.  Most of the guys who chimed in on that thread are from California.  For areas further north, my recommendation, in four words, is "definitely a dry suit." For safety and comfort while kayak fishing, a drysuit is the best investment you can make.

I have owned many dry suits and dry tops, and Kokatat is my favorite manufacturer.  I prefer latex gaskets to neoprene gaskets.  A latex gasket will keep you bone dry even after many hours in the water.  I snorkel and speargun in Montana in a drysuit, and after hours in cold water I frequently drive home in the clothing I was wearing under the drysuit.  A neoprene gasket such as those in the Kokatat Angler drysuits may be somewhat more comfortable, but it won't reliably keep you dry if you end up in the water for more than a short time.  Kokatat refers to the Supernova Angler as a "semi-dry suit."
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 06:26:49 PM by pmmpete »

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
The ocean water temperatures will be pretty much the same in the Sound as what you're familiar with in the Bay area.  You didn't mention the thickness of the neoprene, but if you're happy with how it performed in and around the Bay, what you already have is all you need to be safe.

I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
drysuit is def preferred here.

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
The ocean water temperatures will be pretty much the same in the Sound as what you're familiar with in the Bay area.  You didn't mention the thickness of the neoprene, but if you're happy with how it performed in and around the Bay, what you already have is all you need to be safe.

I want to say it was a 8mm farmer jon, but I would have to go back and look at it to make sure.
aka Kevin

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
The cold Japan Current comes in close to the Bay and the waters you're used to are most likely 5 or 6 degrees cooler than what you'll see even as far north as the Sound.  Yep, drysuits are the POPULAR choice in Oregon and Washington, but at least try your wetsuit before you jump into a drysuit.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I might add to Tinker's comments:  Offshore, we do get a good upwelling in the spring and summer.  Water temps are often in the low 40's then.

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
The cold Japan Current comes in close to the Bay and the waters you're used to are most likely 5 or 6 degrees cooler than what you'll see even as far north as the Sound.  Yep, drysuits are the POPULAR choice in Oregon and Washington, but at least try your wetsuit before you jump into a drysuit.

Thanks for the info. Yeah Dry suits were slowly being used in NCKA, depended where you lived, fished and income.   A lot of guys in NCKA were also divers/spear fisherman, went after abalone. Wet suits were the more popular of the two. One guy who spear fishes has gone so far as to have nailed halibut and if I recall a tuna last year. He is pretty hardcore.
aka Kevin

anything