Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 03:03:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Depoe salmon report 7/9/23  (Read 1451 times)

beefer

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
While others were participating in the ORC, I decided to troll for salmon. I started at 6:30 and pedaled west past both buoys and maybe another mile out (I do not fish with a finder so I do t know the depth -sorry). People were saying they were at 150-200 which is probably accurate. I got my first hit at around 8 and had 4 on but lost them all before bringing in a native. I then got a few more fish on and it turned off for me. I had been pushed south quite a bit and I was a long ways from port so I started trolling back. No action for 1.5 hours and I decided to let out more line and fish a little deeper. I don’t know why I didn’t do that earlier. Sometimes I get a certain depth stuck in my head. I had been fishing 15-20 feet on the rod with 8 ounces. I moved to 12 ounces with 35 feet and it was on. I had a fish on almost immediately but lost it. I then landed a hatchery in the next 5 minutes.

I was in a nice area with slicks and the fish were active. I caught another native and I was getting hits every 5-10 minutes but I was having a lot of trouble getting them to stick. I sharpened a hook and tried a new hook but they just wouldn’t stick. After probably 10 fish on or takedowns, I finally landed another keeper.

Both fish were smaller but it’s early. Their bellies had lots of bait fish. When I got back in, the checker said it was a slow salmon day with only 12-13 checked and I didn’t get back until around 3:30 so, I felt pretty good about limiting even though it took me all day and I was exhausted. Anyway, get out there and get ‘em😀

As a side note, I took out my new Compass. I previously used a 2012 Outback but I wanted to get my butt out of the water. The Compass felt tippy and squirrelly. I can turn around, Bend over the side and do all kinds of stuff in the outback but I felt I had to be really careful in the Compass. I could go a lot faster in the compass. Maybe it will be my calm water boat and river boat and the outback for rough days. Or maybe I just need to get used to it.

Wilyakfish

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021
Sounds like a challenging and productive day. Thanks for the report!

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

moistfish

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jun 2021
Nice going! They were certainly around on Saturday. I saw a couple jumpers in 35 fow.
Old Town Fishing Team
Next Adventure Kayak Fishing Team

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
The difference between successful fishermen and unsuccessful fishermen is often stubbornness. Way to stick it out!

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Knew I should have trolled rather than getting beat by my buddy Zach again 🤣
Great job!
Have you taken that compas to the lake and tipped yourself over in it yet? Sometimes the tipping point is a bit farther than it seems. Dumping yourself off of it on purpose a couple of times may provide you with some comfort and you will still be able to fish the faster ride

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Great job!
Have you taken that compas to the lake and tipped yourself over in it yet? Sometimes the tipping point is a bit farther than it seems. Dumping yourself off of it on purpose a couple of times may provide you with some comfort and you will still be able to fish the faster ride

I own a compass and found that the primary stability is a little low but the secondary stability is quite high.  In lamens turns, it feels more tippy then it is.  I find it similar to my Revo. 

I wanted to target salmon that day but due to time constraints si thought i would show casey how to catch lingcod- i think he forgot >:D.  We both forgot for a little bit during tourney day  :D.

Here is the fish from Sunday that kept me from targeting coho:
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

beefer

• Herring
Great job!

That's a great idea. I did not do that but now I'm going to. Thanks for the suggestion:)

beefer

• Herring
Great job!

I own a compass and found that the primary stability is a little low but the secondary stability is quite high.  In lamens turns, it feels more tippy then it is.  I find it similar to my Revo. 

I wanted to target salmon that day but due to time constraints si thought i would show casey how to catch lingcod- i think he forgot >:D.  We both forgot for a little bit during tourney day  :D.

Here is the fish from Sunday that kept me from targeting coho:

I'm glad you put it in laymans terms for me cuz I actually didn't know what that meant. ha. That's great to know. Sounds like you and Casey had fun and you get to do some nice trash talking until he catches one bigger than you. Lol. That's a nice fish you caught. It would have taken about 6 of my fish to equal the meat on that. ha ha.

Asully503

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Rumor has it they are going to rename the ORC the ZDI (Zach Dennis Invitational). Congrats on the back-to-back wins!

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
@beefer- yeah I can only talk shit for so long. He will best that fish in no time. I have learned a ton from him.

Rumor has it they are going to rename the ORC the ZDI (Zach Dennis Invitational). Congrats on the back-to-back wins!

Haha thanks but I am not the only two time winner. I think John (bluewrx)and Michael (Jammer) have won it a few times.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC