Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 06:37:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 05:23:17 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:01:25 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 04:21:47 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Alaskan Get together?  (Read 3890 times)

dudemandude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Yeah sounds like the same rotation. I hope to get out and about on my time off, we'll see what happens!

AKS2000

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Aks2000!!!!!  Great to hear you are still around!!!!!!! Let's do this!  I'll take days off!  Ive had to cash out leave as I was maxing it out.  For you, the man who netted my first kayak king, I'd take a day off to fish with you anytime!!!!

Rudy,

That is totally AWESOME, but you don't have to skip work on my account.  I will be off for 2 weeks so it is much easier for me to fit your schedule during my time-off.  I'll see you in 5 weeks.  I'll text you when I get home.  Thanks.

JT

AK Yak Atak

• Herring
  • So....Let the break up begin!!!!!
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I usually dont say much on this forum but i would be up to it if i get a new yak by then. Mine just sold off craiglist and i am looking to grab another asap... I did find a Tarpon 140 older model witnout the Slidetrax and it great shape for a decent deal of 650.00 but it is barebones. I am leaning torward the Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 from REI or the Tarpon 12 the reason behind this is the free shipping to the stores.  Let me know what you guys would do! Oh yea name is Matt and live in Anchorage and ready for a Sleigh Ride behind a nice Seward Halibut. I got a few spots on the charts where could meet up for some awesome deep water jigging and some decent silver fishing!!! Let Me know when all of you fellas are headed and where you all are going and count me in for the Anchor Point King Derby.
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
I really liked the Ocean Kayak Prowler I tried when I went out with Chris at Liquid Adventures -- it felt very comfortable and fished well. When it was time to buy, it was between the Prowler 13 and the Hobie Revolution 13. I ended up with the Revo, but I know I would have been very happy with the Prowler.  I was persuaded in the end by the idea that I was buying fishing gear, and that being hands free to fish and still control my position in currents and wind would keep me fishing more and give me more range. 

You can't beat REI's shipping deal, and the next year's dividend should be fattened considerably as a result. 

AK Yak Atak

• Herring
I would be done for the Apr 21. Where are you guys thinking? Seward is always nice. Also Upper Kenai is fishable and alot of it thawed and pretty calm. maybe would not be a bad idea to float a egg sucking leech down and try for a nice 20-30inch Kenai Rainbow? Let me know!!!!

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Alright guys and gals..... Several of you expressed interest in the weekend before tax day.  No campgrounds are open in homer yet, so it's long drives or a hotel for a night or two.  If you want I can try and see if we could get a group rate at Lands End for that weekend.  Any interest in this???  I'll be headed down that weekend and would love to have some compadres.  Letme know what you think.
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I would be done for the Apr 21. Where are you guys thinking? Seward is always nice. Also Upper Kenai is fishable and alot of it thawed and pretty calm. maybe would not be a bad idea to float a egg sucking leech down and try for a nice 20-30inch Kenai Rainbow? Let me know!!!!

I think I can now make a April 21 date. Not sure where though.  For a shake down cruise, Whittier is nice and easy and close if you live in Anchorage.  Not too many fish though.  I might drop a shrimp pot if I go.  I'll likely head to whittier prior to that if he weather cooperates.

Last year deep creek was accessible by then.  Not so sure this year with all the snow.  Logistically you want to be able to drive on the beach a mile or two to get out of the special harvest zone.  I think the best chance at a real fish is going to be out of Homer. But that's a LONG ways. 

Intrigued by the river but it's not the best place for a shake down cruise. 

Personally I think I'm going to wait and see what the weather does.  If we pick any saltwater spots, we will need to have multiple options since the marine weather is something to keep an eye on and changes at the last minute.

I'm 90% sure I will be on the water that day...just too early to make a call on a specific location.  I do tend to favor feeder kings and halibut since I LOVE to eat them!!!
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

AK Yak Atak

• Herring
Rudy,
 I know there are a few human powered vessel tourneys out there in AK. They advertised them last year at the Sports show but you have to take a ferry to get to one of the places. Also we could set one up ourselves as i used to help direct bass tournaments in Tennessee. Not hard at all and easy to advertise mostly for free as well. Rules and regs can be taken from other kayak fishing circuits out there. PM me and i will send you guys my number as well for the show. And if you guys are around the Dimond Mall at anytime swing by the AF recruiting office and ask for me (Man in Charge) and i will hook you guys up with some AF t-shirts or what not. Let me know and lets get together.

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Im confused on the date now. Is it the 14th or the 21st? I have to call in for stupid jury duty the week of the 15th Im not sure what day is tax day ??? And Rudy where is it in the regs about this special harvest zone? Im looking at 2011 regs, north gulf coast salt water and I don't see this thing your talking about on there. I believe you, Im just trying to figure out where the zone is.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 08:51:47 PM by rimfirematt »

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Im confused on the date now. Is it the 14th or the 21st? I have to call in for stupid jury duty the week of the 15th Im not sure what day is tax day ??? And Rudy where is it in the regs about this special harvest zone? Im looking at 2011 regs, north gulf coast salt water and I don't see this thing your talking about on there. I believe you, Im just trying to figure out where the zone is.

Check cook inlet saltwater.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/regulations/fishregulations/PDFs/southcentral/scsaltwaterregulations.pdf

I might make both dates but I'm going to focus on the 21st.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Tax day is April 15, a Sunday this year. It's also a good weekend halibut tide, although the tides are better two weeks later (April 28).  Don't really know when we're likely to get together, but I think we should try for a April 14, settling on destination right before so we can consider weather and seas based on likely conditions.  I'd rank it, from best to worst, as Deep Creek, Homer, Seward and Whittier. But that's just because I'm keen on finding some halibut and some Kings. If the consensus builds for April 21, then I'd rank it: Homer, Seward, Whittier, Deep Creek.

The idea of being on the water just three weeks out has immense appeal.

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Lets make it happen capt'n
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

anything