Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 04:06:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:28:58 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Seward 14th of August!  (Read 1789 times)

dudemandude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Well my brother and his wife, with their daughter came up from Michigan. We decided to go out of Seward, after they went on a charter on monday. I met up with them on tuesday morning ( I got back late monday from the slope) They had rented two sit on tops (Prowlers ocean kayak) from Liquid Adventures and we have our ocean kayak malibut 2xl so the four of us, my two brothers, sister inlaw and myself could go fishing. The weather was calm with only the boat wakes to deal with. We started at 11 and fished a total of 6 and half hours getting back to the beach by 8 pm. My middle brother caught the first halibut using herring in about 200' of water. 25 pounds, My youngest brother caught some arrowtooth flounder, that we threw back and a quill back rockfish. My sister inlaw only caught a few arrowtooth flounder. And just before we were ready to go, I finally hooked into a nice 25 pounder, and of course when it was flopping around in my lap got the hook stuck in my leg thru my chestwaders, not to bad though was able to get it out. Other than that the wind picked up around 1 and stayed blowing with 2 foot waves, was an awesome day. Oh yeah, and kept 2 Pacific Cod.

Pictures with follow later when I can get a copy of them.

dudemandude

• Lingcod
My brother and I with the larger of the halibut that he caught and I am holding the pacific cod. Cleaning the other halibut.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Sweet! Great job!  That's a nice fish! No sign of silvers?
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011
In todays Anchorage Daily News fishing report--they said Ressurrection Bay is full of silvers --inside and out.

I can't say 1st hand though...........
http://www.adn.com/2012/08/15/2589698/for-the-first-time-this-season.html
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 12:49:17 PM by Mark Collett »
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
I've been catching silvers pretty regularly since mid-July, but it hasn't been red hot.  I'm heading back down Friday and Saturday, and now that I've acquired a waterproof camera (Nikon Coolpix AW-100) maybe I'll have some pictures to post. I just think that all of the runs are two or three weeks later than average.  The good news is that it suggests hot fishing through September this year.  I didn't have much time to fish the last two weeks (Mom's been sick...) but I managed a couple salmon (one silver, one pink) out of Whittier last weekend.  These are outlier fish -- no big masses yet seen out of that harbor.

Thanks for the report, DMD.  Nice halibut!  Hope you don't have a scar from the hook penetration. I'm hoping the waders deflected most of the injury. 

The one thing I've learned so far in catching saltwater silvers is that I'm most successful on a faster trolling speed than I'd suspect.  I'm using a diver to get the herring down around 30-40 ft., and then peddling like I'm late for an appointment on the troll.  So far, it's been productive.  But I'm new to this saltwater scene, so it's probably just more beginners luck. I've quit using flashers -- just herring in a pro-troll e-chip helmet, and the diver to get it down.  It's been a while since I've been skunked.

Send me a PM or text if any of you guys are in Seward Friday or Saturday.  Chances are good we can hit the water together.  Andy? Matt? Rudy?

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Nice report. So you caught halibut in the bay? You launched from Lowell point?
I'm headed out caribou hunting this weekend. Not sure when I can get the kayak wet again. Looking like October at this point

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
I have kid duty but might be able to try one day. Totally up in the air unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

dudemandude

• Lingcod
I only saw one silver hooked by a bank fisherman that he lost. Saw several jumpers but didn't know if they were silvers or pinks. My family just got back last night from a Moose hunt. I had a cow tag for Chena hot springs road and was able to harvest one on Sat. night! Thank the Lord for the moose and everyone who helped! Was a great time.

Yeah, we fished off of Lowell point and have caught since last year 5 halibut in the bay. Good luck and See you sometime, we might be headed down tom. to get some more halibut. After we process the moose lol...

akfishergal

• Salmon
Congrats on getting your moose; that's outstanding.   :hello2: 

Pinks and chums in numbers now just south of Fourth of July Creek -- great sport for those of us now fishing for grins. I'm likely going back down Wednesday if the forecast holds. Anybody game? C'mon down.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Congrats on getting your moose; that's outstanding.   :hello2: 

Pinks and chums in numbers now just south of Fourth of July Creek -- great sport for those of us now fishing for grins. I'm likely going back down Wednesday if the forecast holds. Anybody game? C'mon down.

great info!  I hope I can shake free.  Back into bachelor mode for a few weeks...with kids.  Ack.  But the fish call! 

Congrats on the moose dudeman!!!!!!!

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

dudemandude

• Lingcod
Thanks! the moose tastes great. Had some tenderloin last night with the heart! Yummy!

akfishergal

• Salmon
+1, and then +1.  Here's hoping my hunting husband is equally successful -- nothing like that tenderloin in my book...